mATX case for Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H

Telvin

Oct 3, 2007
Hey all, I'm throwing myself on the collective wisdom of the forums.

I'm building a new system, either i5 or i7 and looking at an SLI setup, either immediately or in the future when I need a performance boost. I'm looking at mATX boards because the only feature differences between them and the full ATX versions are the number of SATA and USB3 headers, neither of which are an issue for me. So, I'd rather build a smaller box.

Which brings me to my problem. I quite like the look of the Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H board. Has all the features I want, good reviews and such. And one nice feature is that it has the PCIe x16 slots laid out a little differently. Most boards have them as slots 1 and 3, which means that with all the graphics cards being double height these days the card in slot 1 uses the slot 1 and 2 expansion brackets and the second card uses the slot 3 and 4 expansion brackets, covering up the other two PCI slots and leaving little or no airflow between the cards.

However, the GA-Z77MX-D3H has the x16 slots in the first and fourth position, so card one uses slots 1 and 2, slot 3 is left free for either use or as airflow and then the second card uses slot 4 and hangs down over where the fifth slot would be.

The problem is that mATX cases don't generally have a fifth expansion card bracket in the back. They stop at four. So the card has nowhere to exit the case.

Is this actually going to be a problem or am I missing something obvious? Does anyone know of mATX cases that would allow for this setup?

I like the look of this board. I like the added airflow between the two cards and the possibility of an open pci slot, even with a SLI setup. But if I need to look at other options, that's what I'll have to do.

As a general note, all of Gigabyte's z77 mATX boards have the same odd PCIe layout and they all advertise as being SLI/crossfire ready, so I can't be the first to run into this, right?

Telvin

Oct 3, 2007
Thanks for the reply. That case would certainly do it. On the other hand, it's bigger than some ATX cases, which would be the other answer to the problem. Of course, if I'm going to go with a full ATX case, I may as well just go with an ATX board.

It's kind of a dumb situation actually.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I think the HAF922, which is a mid-tower case, will work. I have a Gigabyte mATX board in there and there is quite a bit of room at the bottom of the mobo... it may work for you.

560ti4483_zps9c9d312b.jpg

EDIT: No, I see what you are saying... it's a full ATX case, mid tower in size. Duh...

Last edited:

Telvin

Oct 3, 2007
EDIT: No, I see what you are saying... it's a full ATX case, mid tower in size. Duh...
Yeah, it's a bit of a conundrum. I normally think pretty well of Gigabyte, but in this case I think they have completly screwed up by the numbers. As far as I can tell their mATX boards might advertise SLI/Crossfire compatibility but due to the PCIe layout are not physically capable of installing the cards in a mATX case.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There are some micro-ATX tower cases, that have 5 expansion slots. I think that I've seen one. Possibly the Rosewill Line-M? I think it was a Rosewill case.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Yes, that Rosewill case has 5 slots. Also, I think the In-Win Dragon Slayer (and model 655 clone) has 5 slots.

Telvin

Oct 3, 2007
So there are three cases in the world that allow the board to actually work with SLI/Crossfire? I've got to say, that's a real slow clap for Gigabyte.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Alternately you can get a mATX board that is spaced differently for SLI.

Telvin

Oct 3, 2007
I think I'm going to have to do that. It's just annoying that what looks like an interesting board feature turns out to be functionally, if not technically, outside the mATX spec.