Mattress Protector advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdforever2

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2002
I recently bought a new mattress and am trying to get a protector for it. The furniture store guy had one for $99 I was going to get but luckily my senses came back to me and I realized I could probably get one for less than half that online.

Well, I can indeed at amazon select from a multitude of them for under $50, but with most of them four star rated or better I can't really make a decision. I'd like one that zips and completely seals the mattress in a waterproof cocoon if possible.

Any suggestions?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I tried one advertised as waterproof ones once - and promptly returned it because it was making crinkly noises. Which are super annoying.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Best mattress advice, don't let your potty training toddler in your bed.
On a serious note, any of those cotton pullover pads are good. I've been using the same one for a decade and it has held up well. I wash it around once a month.

amdforever2

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2002
Its not for kids its more for spilling drinks, not wanting sweat over the years to seep into the pillow top. Generally keep it from becoming nasty

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
drinks in bed?
are you terminally ill?

Anyway if it's waterproof, it's going to make a plasticky noise like if you're rolling on potato chips. Also the transpiration will be bad too....

I'd just get a really thick mattress cover if you sweat a lot, and avoid drinking in bed.

Anyway I just discovered what the pillow top is, I had never seen a mattress like that.

Anyway in my experience sweat-stained mattresses don't smell so I wouldn't care. Plus You can also change it again some time in your life, it's not like that big of an expense compared to the time you spend on it, and the technology might get better. My new mattress was really an upgrade in comfort.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Just use a cotton mattress pad if you must. Putting waterproof anything on something you lay on is disgusting.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Protect it from what? After 10-15 years a mattress is pretty much used up anyway and not worth much if anything.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Some of you don't have SO's do you.... :sneaky:

OP, unfortunately, most are...crinkly....

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Best mattress advice, don't let your potty training toddler in your bed.

/this! and never on a foam mattress...

god when i am looking for a new mattress set but i don't want the guy takeing the old one.

:|

Protect it from what? After 10-15 years a mattress is pretty much used up anyway and not worth much if anything.

I will add to that what do you expect to do with it? do you think anyone wan'ts to buy a old used mattress?

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Go to JCPenney.com and search for "Cotton Top Waterproof Mattress Pad" $35-60 depending on size and it does not crinkle. It's one of their jcp home branded ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.