Question Matrix Awakens City Sample is now available for download on PC

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Ok I know you guys could not get any sleep, so I did a couple more City sample vids on my 970+2500k and 8600k+1070. (it goes without saying,non monetized vids)

The GTX 970 gets a very strict video ram message right off the bat, kindly telling you to gtfo and that you are missing ~1.2GBs of video ram and that's at low settings with 50% res! And I see in MSI Afterburner a full 3950MB video ram usage, so that number does not account for the slow 512MB I guess! Still, even for a pixel count a little above 720p, for a next gen demo, for a card that is nearing 8yo, ain't too bad I guess. It might still be able to run some lighter UE5 games.

I honestly expected the 2500k to blow up in this demo, but it didn't. I mean OK it did hover around 80% cpu usage for less than 20fps and that @5Ghz, but considering it is currently running through its 12th year since launch, a cpu from the PS3 era, it is doing great really! It will be interesting to see some actual UE5 games on it, maybe with more limited world than this demo.

The 8600k+1070 run, was the smoothest of my systems so far, in terms of framerate, even if it was at 1080p low. I had to limit it at 30fps, because the frametimes were spiking like crazy and was getting on my nerves. xD

The 8600k at least for the low settings, did OK and I think it could do 60fps at 5GHz. It was not even overclocked for this test. In real games I believe it will do much better but this remains to be seen.

The GTX 1070 is losing 1/3 of its perfromance for max settings but overall it's doing ok. It ain't the newest card around either. It is also a 6yo part now. Time flies!

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Also noticed it runs much better off my PCIe 4.0 drive than my Sata Raid 0 SSD's.

UE5 makes heavy use of streaming in assets. With the PS5 and XBSX both having very fast storage, this setup works well. For we PC users, it will be important to have a good NvME drive. I wonder if having a PCIe 3.0 drive will hurt it much. Also, I wonder ho much having AMD Smart Access Memory enabled will help.

Reactions: Makaveli

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
UE5 makes heavy use of streaming in assets. With the PS5 and XBSX both having very fast storage, this setup works well. For we PC users, it will be important to have a good NvME drive. I wonder if having a PCIe 3.0 drive will hurt it much. Also, I wonder ho much having AMD Smart Access Memory enabled will help.

Very good question I did have SAM enabled but some benchmarks on this between different drives would be nice to see.

Reactions: Stuka87

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Is there a way to change settings or to see what settings it's using?

Also regarding the streaming, I run it from a HDD with MSI Afterburner OSD enabled and HDD reading speed from perfcounter.dll and I only see 10-20MB/sec streaming.

It is very badly written though. My cpu (8600k) mostly sleeps and the GPU (GTX 1070) has many drops below 100%. So all involved parties are not maxed out, yet it runs like crap.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Is there a way to change settings or to see what settings it's using?

Also regarding the streaming, I run it from a HDD with MSI Afterburner OSD enabled and HDD reading speed from perfcounter.dll and I only see 10-20MB/sec streaming.

It is very badly written though. My cpu (8600k) mostly sleeps and the GPU (GTX 1070) has many drops below 100%. So all involved parties are not maxed out, yet it runs like crap.

I'm surprised it worked at all if you are running it off a platter drive.

I want to see how it runs on the 6500 XT.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Yeah it seems it streams fine.

Just copied the whole thing to an external HDD to take with me during the weekend, to test on my 3060ti and it copied with a sustained 150MB/sec speed. So it's not like the drive does not have any more juice to give. I don't hear it accessing like crazy while running either, so it's not a matter of access time. I have a Gammix S11 and an EVO 850 and will test later.

Also it runs at DX11 mode, but the whole world is missing! xD

• Haha
Reactions: coercitiv and NTMBK

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Meh running from the nvme does the same thing. 10-20-30MB/sec at most.

I will have to check my fps when I get home in 2 hours. I never felt like I was doing sub 30fps and will check the drive read speed aswell. I didn't have counters up on first run just went in to see how it all felt. I noticed a big difference in initial start up and stutter between my two drives.

Edit quick video of performance i'm seeing.

Last edited:

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Does it run better if you drop the resolution down?

Normally it will. But how do you drop the resolution and/or settings? I have pressed the O button, the menu came up, I pressed the [ and ] to navigate, but there is no such option. Also there appear to be some settings behind the ones on the foreground, but I found to way to go there. I mean I pressed everything.

I remember that UE demos have some commandline options for the resolution. I'll try to see if these work.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
I will have to check my fps when I get home in 2 hours. I never felt like I was doing sub 30fps and will check the drive read speed aswell. I didn't have counters up on first run just went in to see how it all felt. I noticed a big difference in initial start up and stutter between my two drives.

Edit quick video of performance i'm seeing.

That seems 21:9 wide. What res are you running?

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
That seems 21:9 wide. What res are you running?

On a UltraWide 3440x1440 display.

The config file is CitySample\Saved\Config\Windows\GameUserSettings.ini

By default it shows this.

[ScalabilityGroups]
sg.ResolutionQuality=100
sg.ViewDistanceQuality=3
sg.AntiAliasingQuality=3
sg.ShadowQuality=3
sg.GlobalIlluminationQuality=3
sg.ReflectionQuality=3
sg.PostProcessQuality=3
sg.TextureQuality=3
sg.EffectsQuality=3
sg.FoliageQuality=3
sg.ShadingQuality=3

[/Script/Engine.GameUserSettings]
bUseVSync=False
bUseDynamicResolution=False
ResolutionSizeX=2560
ResolutionSizeY=1377
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeX=2560
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeY=1377
WindowPosX=-1
WindowPosY=-1
FullscreenMode=1
LastConfirmedFullscreenMode=1
PreferredFullscreenMode=1
Version=5
AudioQualityLevel=0
LastConfirmedAudioQualityLevel=0
FrameRateLimit=0.000000
DesiredScreenWidth=1280
bUseDesiredScreenHeight=False
DesiredScreenHeight=720
LastUserConfirmedDesiredScreenWidth=1280
LastUserConfirmedDesiredScreenHeight=720
LastRecommendedScreenWidth=-1.000000
LastRecommendedScreenHeight=-1.000000
LastCPUBenchmarkResult=-1.000000
LastGPUBenchmarkResult=-1.000000
LastGPUBenchmarkMultiplier=1.000000
bUseHDRDisplayOutput=False
HDRDisplayOutputNits=1000

Last edited:

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
On a UltraWide 3440x1440 display.

The config file is CitySample\Saved\Config\Windows\GameUserSettings.ini

By default it shows this.

[ScalabilityGroups]
sg.ResolutionQuality=100
sg.ViewDistanceQuality=3
sg.AntiAliasingQuality=3
sg.ShadowQuality=3
sg.GlobalIlluminationQuality=3
sg.ReflectionQuality=3
sg.PostProcessQuality=3
sg.TextureQuality=3
sg.EffectsQuality=3
sg.FoliageQuality=3
sg.ShadingQuality=3

[/Script/Engine.GameUserSettings]
bUseVSync=False
bUseDynamicResolution=False
ResolutionSizeX=2560
ResolutionSizeY=1377
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeX=2560
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeY=1377
WindowPosX=-1
WindowPosY=-1
FullscreenMode=1
LastConfirmedFullscreenMode=1
PreferredFullscreenMode=1
Version=5
AudioQualityLevel=0
LastConfirmedAudioQualityLevel=0
FrameRateLimit=0.000000
DesiredScreenWidth=1280
bUseDesiredScreenHeight=False
DesiredScreenHeight=720
LastUserConfirmedDesiredScreenWidth=1280
LastUserConfirmedDesiredScreenHeight=720
LastRecommendedScreenWidth=-1.000000
LastRecommendedScreenHeight=-1.000000
LastCPUBenchmarkResult=-1.000000
LastGPUBenchmarkResult=-1.000000
LastGPUBenchmarkMultiplier=1.000000
bUseHDRDisplayOutput=False
HDRDisplayOutputNits=1000

Cool info, thanks.

So I did a couple of very quick (and very bad) tests myself on my 2700k+3060ti configuration at 1920X1080, with the first one's quality at =3 and the other one at =1 (meaning maxed and low).

Non monetized youtube video links follow. Sound is bad, dunno why, just recorded with shadowplay (so an additional performance hit-keep that in mind).

So as you can see, the test is extremely cpu limited. I was seriously like wtf? I mean the poor old 2700k, may be exactly that, poor and old, but it runs AC Valhalla maxed @60fps vsynced. And I just finished ELEX II on it with Okish performance. You remember that Does it run Crysis meme? Yeah, it doesn't hold a candle to the Does it run ELEX II, I tell you!

So yeah, where was I, oh yes, on the cpu side this demo is too heavy man and I did not expect that. I mean my 8600k+1070 was around 15-20fps for the quality at =3 but the cpu was seriously sleeping. I mean I saw it hitting 800mhz at times. The 2700k was screaming something about my quality as a human being and said some bad words about my family, I swear to god! xD Never seen it running so hot, wtf?

I am guessing the demo uses some next gen (?) AVX (2-256?) instructions that the 2700k has to execute on two passes that's why it's so slow. But I am just guessing. If anyone has more info let us know.

Going from max to low, it seems to me the performance improved by 25-30% but I am just eye balling it, so I don't know for sure.

On the bright side, judging by the 3060ti load, it seems that it can do 1080p at 40-50fps, which ain't too bad I guess.

Also note that both runs were run from a HDD and the read data rate is shown on the OSD. It's very low.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Cool info, thanks.

So I did a couple of very quick (and very bad) tests myself on my 2700k+3060ti configuration at 1920X1080, with the first one's quality at =3 and the other one at =1 (meaning maxed and low).

Non monetized youtube video links follow. Sound is bad, dunno why, just recorded with shadowplay (so an additional performance hit-keep that in mind).

So as you can see, the test is extremely cpu limited. I was seriously like wtf? I mean the poor old 2700k, may be exactly that, poor and old, but it runs AC Valhalla maxed @60fps vsynced. And I just finished ELEX II on it with Okish performance. You remember that Does it run Crysis meme? Yeah, it doesn't hold a candle to the Does it run ELEX II, I tell you!

So yeah, where was I, oh yes, on the cpu side this demo is too heavy man and I did not expect that. I mean my 8600k+1070 was around 15-20fps for the quality at =3 but the cpu was seriously sleeping. I mean I saw it hitting 800mhz at times. The 2700k was screaming something about my quality as a human being and said some bad words about my family, I swear to god! xD Never seen it running so hot, wtf?

I am guessing the demo uses some next gen (?) AVX (2-256?) instructions that the 2700k has to execute on two passes that's why it's so slow. But I am just guessing. If anyone has more info let us know.

Going from max to low, it seems to me the performance improved by 25-30% but I am just eye balling it, so I don't know for sure.

On the bright side, judging by the 3060ti load, it seems that it can do 1080p at 40-50fps, which ain't too bad I guess.

Also note that both runs were run from a HDD and the read data rate is shown on the OSD. It's very low.

Great info.

Everyone i've seen running this on a 2700X is bottlenecked by that cpu. I even saw someone pair this cpu with a 3080 which made no sense to me lol. I was driving around the city more a few days ago and seeing 30-50 fps on my setup but there is clearly certain parts of the city depending on what is going on will tank fps and I see gpu usage drop so there is still some optimization to be done.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Can’t even get it to run on Win10 - crashes with some D3D error I’ve never seen b4.

Actually compiled UE5 in Linux and ran the demo - total slide show, but at least it didn’t crash (1080p).

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Can’t even get it to run on Win10 - crashes with some D3D error I’ve never seen b4.

Actually compiled UE5 in Linux and ran the demo - total slide show, but at least it didn’t crash (1080p).

I'm on windows 10 running the pre-compiled version. We are on different gpu's but pslord above does have it running on a 1070.

What is the error message got a screenshot?

Reactions: psolord

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Daniel Owen found that the global illumination is the main cause of low FPS. So try setting GlobalIlluminationQuality to 1.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Daniel Owen found that the global illumination is the main cause of low FPS. So try setting GlobalIlluminationQuality to 1.

I saw the video daniel posted this morning but that setting was noted by someone else last week prior to his video so he wasn't the one to find that.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Great info.

Everyone i've seen running this on a 2700X is bottlenecked by that cpu. I even saw someone pair this cpu with a 3080 which made no sense to me lol. I was driving around the city more a few days ago and seeing 30-50 fps on my setup but there is clearly certain parts of the city depending on what is going on will tank fps and I see gpu usage drop so there is still some optimization to be done.

2700x? I'd wish! I was talking about a 2700k. That's a ten year old Sandy Bridge baby (with an underlying 11year tech, since Sandys launched on January 2011) lol!

And if you are wondering why I am combining a 11yo cpu architecture with a 1yo gpu one, that's because I can, OK? xD

Joking aside, for the gaming target of this system, 1080p/60, it's doing just fine, since the cpu is highly oced.

Maybe it cannot run UE5 very well, but how many UE5 games are there, hmmm?

Anyhoo, the 3060ti was meant for a different kind of upgrade, it was supposed to accompany my 8600k, but it turned out that I have more time to game in my cottage house, where the 2700k is, so the 3060ti ended up there. No regerts! xD

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
I'm on windows 10 running the pre-compiled version. We are on different gpu's but psolord above does have it running on a 1070.

What is the error message got a screenshot?

I did run in on 8600k+1070 and 2700k+3060ti, correct. It run badly on both, lol.

Just you wait until I run it on 2500k+970. :O

Now that you mention it, I did get many launch DX crashes on the 3060ti system. Both systems with Win 10 latest version. However if you insist 3-4 times, it finally runs! How is that possible on a system that's using 0s and 1s to calculate very accurate results and it's supposed to export the same repeatable results if you feed it the same data, is beyond me.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Hmm maybe the crashing is Nv driver related then. I saw reports of some people getting this on AMD setups but they released a driver for this demo and that seemed to solve the issue for those having it on the Radeon side.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah it seems it streams fine.

Just copied the whole thing to an external HDD to take with me during the weekend, to test on my 3060ti and it copied with a sustained 150MB/sec speed. So it's not like the drive does not have any more juice to give. I don't hear it accessing like crazy while running either, so it's not a matter of access time. I have a Gammix S11 and an EVO 850 and will test later.

Also it runs at DX11 mode, but the whole world is missing! xD

This might have already been stated (but I didn't notice it yet), but copying is a MUCH different animal than data streaming. Data streaming will be lots and lots of small random reads, which is the exact opposite of what happens in a straight copy, which is large sequential reads. You are very likely hitting the random read I/O limit of the drive(s). Also note that the small reads are from loading in the various object data streams (i.e. that street sign, the boxes in the truck, the piece of litter on the ground, the bird in the sky, etc...), which will in most cases be well below the RAID stripe size and thus you are not gaining the advantage of the RAID system for a boost in performance, and area really only getting the performance of a single drive.

I would suggest running your drive through an I/O benchmark like "iozone" or "fio" and pay close attention to the small size random read performance tests especially with multiple requests at the same time. A lot of controllers are incredibly bad when it comes to multiple queued requests, doing almost no optimizations by re-ordering the requests for efficiency, and also being very limited in processing those requests. You may just find out that the 10-20MB/s that you are seeing is actually the performance limit of your drives in this type of I/O load. Heck, a lot of HDD hit a limit of just 1MB/s or less for Random Reads.