Mating a tiny SSD to a 5.25" Bay

degibson

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2008
I finally purchased a 16 GB SSD drive as part of my ongoing quest to own things of this nature. My dilemma is this:

The drive is about 7cm wide -- about the size of a playing card. The drive bays in the host machine are, well, 5.25". (The floppy bays are open too, but I don't recall the width of those). Suffice to say theres some 'extra room' and the mounting screws don't line up to boot.

I've tried googling around for adapters of some sort -- does anyone know of such a product, and if so, what the heck is it named? I'm generally competent in building things of this nature, but my time is precious and I'd rather buy.

Don66

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2000
Put some velcro or double sided sticky tape on the bottom of the drive and stick it to the side of the drive cage..

Used velcro on my SSD to keep it in place, works great:thumbsup:

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
put an adapter (1.8 or 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch) inside an adapter (3.5 inch to 5 .25inch adapter)

degibson

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2008
Originally posted by: Don66
Put some velcro or double sided sticky tape on the bottom of the drive and stick it to the side of the drive cage..

Used velcro on my SSD to keep it in place, works great:thumbsup:

Double sided tape! You sir, are a genius.

Originally posted by: taltamir
put an adapter (1.8 or 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch) inside an adapter (3.5 inch to 5 .25inch adapter)

Also a good idea. Not quite up to my 'just tape it on' standards, however.

Thanks for the input.

MyLeftNut

Jul 22, 2007
It's good that you even considered providing a solution for mounting it. I just left mine kinda dangling off the connected cables and sitting at the bottom of my case.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
eh, just leave it loose in the bay, maybe tie it with piece of string... :)
It can survive, what, 3000g impact?

andrei3333

Jan 31, 2008
go to your local fastener place ( nuts and bolts ) and get longer machine screws

bring a sample so they can match the threads