clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I apologize if this has been posted before. If there's another thread post the URL and I'll update the OP with it. Or maybe the mods do that. Anyway.

How do you guys go about matching a dress shirt color to a tie (color)? I know my mom thinks the tie has to match the shirt (color); so if you have a light blue shirt the tie should be light blue, or contain mostly light blue.

I'm of the opinion you can do that monochromic match, or you can do a complementary color match (blue shirt, tie has orange in it), or you can do a triadic color scheme but that's for the biggest pimps and most are too nub to pull that off.

The reason I'm asking is I have a royal blue (I think that's the color) dress shirt basically just like this:
kenneth-cole-reaction-blue-slim-fit-royal-blue-solid-dress-shirt-product-1-17333079-0-812870064-normal.jpeg

And I'm wondering if the tie has to be a blue one or if it can be some other color. What say you, fashion experts?!

Jun 18, 2000
I'm no expert, but yeah the tie can have colors complementary to the shirt. And no the tie doesn't also need blue but it helps tie it together (so to speak). If you want to avoid blue, maybe cream or silver with maybe orange or coral, with the cream/silver being the dominant color?

Just my personal preference but I'd stick with lighter colors for the tie since the shirt is a very bold blue.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Matching colors is hard. There's only one way to do it right, you probably won't be able to, and it'll just look wrong. I prefer complimentary or contrasting colors, though I don't wear ties or dress shirts :^D

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I agree...

But what I fucking hate more than anything are morons that wear dark navy dress pants with brown belt/shoes.
Did someone wearing navy dress pants with brown shoes beat you as a child? That is a strange thing to so strongly hate...

Also, depends on the brown. You specified navy but then just said brown.

Nov 8, 2012
Did someone wearing navy dress pants with brown shoes beat you as a child? That is a strange thing to so strongly hate...

Also, depends on the brown. You specified navy but then just said brown.

I'm relating to your standard dark navy suit that most people wear. It's a new trendy thing to wear browns (light brown, dark brown, any brown) with dark navy suits... It makes you look like a clown.

I'm old fashioned and stand by the fact that dark navy should only ever be worn with black belt and shoes. Get off my lawn.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
See ,highland knows, neon orange also has the benefit of being the safest! you are more visible to hunters and to cars, so, you are less likely to get shot or hit!

Reactions: highland145

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Here's some options:

White tie (or pale blue if white's too contrast-y)
Silver tie
Navy tie
Purple tie
Black tie

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I know my mom thinks the tie has to match the shirt (color); so if you have a light blue shirt the tie should be light blue, or contain mostly light blue.

Your mommy lied

A tie is not meant to blend and disappear into a dress shirt. While it should 'match' the shirt, it should not be the same. A red tie with a blue shirt works. So does yellow, green, etc. You can make most colors work. It's harder when we start talking patterns. General rule of thumb is you don't want to mix small with small or big with big. So if your dress shirt has a small check pattern, you don't want to wear a tie with a lot of small dots. A solid tie or something with thicker stripes would work. If you're wearing a jacket it's an extra piece to consider.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
That's a damned bright shirt, right out of Saul Goodman's closet. To each his own, I guess.

Serious question: Do you have no sense of color aesthetic? Hold a tie up to the shirt and see what your impression is. Offhand, I'd say anything bright or starkly contrasting is going to look ridiculous. You'd want something that doesn't doesn't stand out. With that shirt, your Mom's idea of finding a tie that blends into the shirt is probably a good idea. Your choice and color of suit or sports coat also needs to be taken into consideration.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
That shirt is crazy blue. Is it really that vibrant in person? You can usually Google image search things like navy shirt with tie, and then see what comes up and find something you like. I have a shirt that color and it's really a difficult color to match with since the tie is supposed to accent your attire, but that shirt is so blue that it becomes the focus of the outfit. I usually wear just the shirt when I have that color on, or try a lighter blue tien with pink in it. You could also try lighter blue and white, or blue/black. Or you could do a washed out or smokey red. Depends on the pants.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
I would never wear a tie with a shirt like that. Go without. Almost as tasteless as wearing a black shirt with a tie.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I would never wear a tie with a shirt like that. Go without. Almost as tasteless as wearing a black shirt with a tie.

this is also fairly solid advice. that shirt would be ok without a tie, but unless you're attending your own barmitzvah it's jusy not going to look good with just about any tie.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Too blue, should be darker or much lighter. I'd probably go with silver/white design tie for a light blue shirt, or maybe a light orange design for a dark blue shirt. Then again, I never dress up for anything and my wardrobe consists of 90% T-shirts and jeans and 10% sweaters.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
A light blue tie would go well with that shirt. Purple or kelly green would also look good.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I agree...

But what I fucking hate more than anything are morons that wear dark navy dress pants with brown belt/shoes.
Really depends on what shirt color you use, something like yellow or pink and brown (depending on tone) will work just fine.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I suggest a tie with some red or yellow in it to contrast that shirt... maybe stripes. If you must have blue in the tie get something with a pattern to at least break up the strong solid color of the shirt.