Master and slaves - I need help on drive order...

SFVR6

Dec 17, 2001
Hey guys my machine is put together and seems to be working fine but I am confused on the "order" or priority of the drives?

I have a:

floppy
HD
CDR
and soon a DVD ROM

which drive should be the Master and what Slaves should follow?
What boot sequence should I make?
How can I change the settings in the BIOS? I've installed Win2K. Do i need to reformat and start over to be able to change the master/slave aroung? Right now my Bios is reading that the HD and CDR are both slaves and no master!

arrgh confused. There are jumper settings on the HD and CDR. I made the HD the Master and everything else slaves. Is this right?

or does all this even matter?

HELP!!!

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
First, the floppy goes on it's own controller (poor, lonely floppy) so you don't have to worry 'bout it. Now, you should have 2 IDE channels (with each channel able to support 2 devices, one master and one slave). I would make your HDD master on channel 1 and your CDR Master on channel 2. Once you get your DVD ROM I'd make it the Master on Channel 2, and the CD-R slave on channel 2.

As for boot sequence, mine goes floppy then HDD (in the event I need to boot off of a CD I just change settings in my BIOS). Since yer BIOS is reading both devices as slaves first make sure that you have the jumpers set to "master" or "cable select" then make sure the devices are plugged into the "end" of the ribbon cable (one end of the cable goes into the mobo, the "middle" plug is for slave devices, and the end of the cable is for master devices). And you don't need to reformat to change master/slave settings. all you have to do is change the jumper settings and/or their placement on the IDE ribbon cable.

Lethal

P.S. It's early, I drank alot last night, so I'm not at fault for any inaccurate info I may have given :)

Dan

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What works for me:

Primary Master: HDD
Primary Slave: DVD-ROM
Secondary Master: CD-RW

My reasoning is that it's best to have the data source (HDD or DVD-ROM on a separate channel from the burner.