Massive stock rally today (3/10/2009)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: senseamp
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
So CEO of an insolvent bank says it's "profitable" and the market rallies 5% ?
Bear market rally, which is not to say some things like oil/commodities are not oversold.

It wasn't just that. Bringing back the uptick rule and reconsideration of FAS157 are pretty huge items.

Only if you assume that the stock market and accounting are the causes of the problems with this economy and not a reflection of it.

You think that the shocks to the capital markets, directly attributable to the stock market AND the debt market reacting to weakness in banks, doesn't feed back into the general weakness of the economy?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

Only if you assume that the stock market and accounting are the causes of the problems with this economy and not a reflection of it.

if you have to write down a lot of assets, requiring that you sell more assets in a trough to cover your margin, rather than being able to hold until the assets are worth more (assuming you have positive cash flow and so you can pay liabilities as they come due in the ordinary course, which a lot of these 'insolvent' companies apparently do), and then having to post large losses because of it, it seems there is something wrong to me.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: Yoxxy

That is the basis of technical trading though, they start the rally, or fade the rally, then the market catches on...you just made their point in a sense.

Technical and fundamental analysis looks to beat the weak and semistrong versions of the EMH by using public knowledge and the past to predict future pricing and market mispricings before the market catches on.

Technical and trend analysis has been right the whole way down from upper left to lower right on the chart for the last year.

If the above were true, then you would have no problems showing statistically significant alpha with these strategies. (also to add to your comment, presumably you can replicate the "technical strategies" for equities as well as broad indices, so R^2 will be pretty close to 1). Also to make a direct comparison, you can make the technical strategy go short on the sell signals so that you can you compare it to buy and hold strategy.

No study has ever been able to do that, which means the "technicians that make money in every market" are just the luckiest of all the ones doing it.

All the strategies that disprove it say that on a risk adjusted basis it is riskier. You can make stats say anything by saying that risk adjusted buy and hold outperforms.

I never said I believe in either strategy and there has been very few reviews of technical analysis since decimalization even though more and more traders are becoming ever technical.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
So CEO of an insolvent bank says it's "profitable" and the market rallies 5% ?
Bear market rally, which is not to say some things like oil/commodities are not oversold.

It wasn't just that. Bringing back the uptick rule and reconsideration of FAS157 are pretty huge items.

You think that the shocks to the capital markets, directly attributable to the stock market AND the debt market reacting to weakness in banks, doesn't feed back into the general weakness of the economy?

Banks are weak because they paid good money for bad credit risks. Of course that enormous misallocation of resources feeds back into the economy and causes shocks in the stock market. But it's not the accounting that causes this, it's the stupidity.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: ElFenix

if you have to write down a lot of assets, requiring that you sell more assets in a trough to cover your margin, rather than being able to hold until the assets are worth more (assuming you have positive cash flow and so you can pay liabilities as they come due in the ordinary course, which a lot of these 'insolvent' companies apparently do), and then having to post large losses because of it, it seems there is something wrong to me.

Do you think those very same banks will buy this argument if you have a margin account with them and get margin called due to market value of your assets? Try telling them you think your stocks are worth more than the market will pay for them so you shouldn't have to cover your margin, and see how long they laugh at you.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

Do you think those very same banks will buy this argument if you have a margin account with them and get margin called due to market value of your assets? Try telling them you think your stocks are worth more than the market will pay for them so you shouldn't have to cover your margin, and see how long they laugh at you.

maybe the issue is the use of margin accounts to begin with.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

So if your 401k statement told you what the broker thinks the assets should be worth instead of what the market will pay for them, you'd be fine with that?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

So if your 401k statement told you what the broker thinks the assets should be worth instead of what the market will pay for them, you'd be fine with that?

what does that have to do with whether margin accounts are ultimately good for the system or not?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

So you're saying that common stocks have a contractual payment stream? Interesting. Where do you get these?

Your connection to 401k is a silly point.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005

You can't short a stock without margin, what is wrong with margin accounts? Even in their hayday of the 90's only 2-3% of the volume of the exchange was on margin...

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

That is the basis of technical trading though, they start the rally, or fade the rally, then the market catches on...you just made their point in a sense.

Technical and fundamental analysis looks to beat the weak and semistrong versions of the EMH by using public knowledge and the past to predict future pricing and market mispricings before the market catches on.

Technical and trend analysis has been right the whole way down from upper left to lower right on the chart for the last year.

If the above were true, then you would have no problems showing statistically significant alpha with these strategies. (also to add to your comment, presumably you can replicate the "technical strategies" for equities as well as broad indices, so R^2 will be pretty close to 1). Also to make a direct comparison, you can make the technical strategy go short on the sell signals so that you can you compare it to buy and hold strategy.

No study has ever been able to do that, which means the "technicians that make money in every market" are just the luckiest of all the ones doing it.

All the strategies that disprove it say that on a risk adjusted basis it is riskier. You can make stats say anything by saying that risk adjusted buy and hold outperforms.

I never said I believe in either strategy and there has been very few reviews of technical analysis since decimalization even though more and more traders are becoming ever technical.

Alpha and the whole CAPM was devised to account for risk-adjusted returns... you cannot compare returns without adjusting for the amount of you took on to get them.

Also you're categorically incorrect on the above, but also completely besides the point. Your technical strategies can be used on broad indices where the Beta will be ~1, which implies the systematic amount of risk is identical to buying and holding the index.

If you have a strategy that tells you when to buy and when to sell, you can compare that to buy and hold of the same instrument directly (if you go short on the sell signal). Even with that, no one has found a strategy that produces alpha >0

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Lothar
Originally posted by: Special K
Everything in that box is bullshit, especially if it mentions "chartists" or "chart pros".

I have read that there is absolutely no academic evidence supporting technical analysis.

That said, I see numerous posts in the stock market thread explaining decisions made based on technical principles. ;)

"Charts are great for predicting the past."
-Peter Lynch

"I realized technical analysis didn't work when I turned the charts upside down and didn't get a different answer...If past history was all there was to the game, the richest people would be librarians."
-Warren Buffett

I'm more inclined to listen to them than some idiot bubblehead on CNBC spoting technical analysis data.
All this talk about "resistance", "support", etc... is moronic. I've seen no such evidence that their predictions always turn out to be correct.

Watch the march 4th daily show online if you want a good laugh about CNBC. They ripped them apart for a good 15 minutes.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/fu...jhtml?episodeId=220250

found it.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
It's eventuality wasn't unexpected though, below 7000 in today's market is noticeably undervalued historically. Job market may be weak for a while (1-2 years), but equity doesn't necessarily follow the same trend line all the time. In this environment there are a boatload of non-financials with PEGs below 1. Citigroup going black is hopefully indicative of a recovery soon.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Evan
It's eventuality wasn't unexpected though, below 7000 in today's market is noticeably undervalued historically. Job market may be weak for a while (1-2 years), but equity doesn't necessarily follow the same trend line all the time. In this environment there are a boatload of non-financials with PEGs below 1. Citigroup going black is hopefully indicative of a recovery soon.

Bob Schiller said the same today on CNBC, P/E ratios are at a historic low
http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1059851041&play=1

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Evan

Bob Schiller said the same today on CNBC, P/E ratios are at a historic low
http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1059851041&play=1

Yup, too good to pass up at this point.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Zebo
Just to get the suckers back in ....the fundis don't lie and soon drop will be eclipsing any low we have seen so far.....- Tomorrow, Thursday and Friday should be very interesting. I'm shorting after staying out today... The following - SDS, BGZ, SMN and FAZ just a matter of when.... I will watch for precipitation like weather man.

how are those shorts treating you?

zebonomics 4TL!

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: alien42
Just to get the suckers back in ....the fundis don't lie and soon drop will be eclipsing any low we have seen so far.....- Tomorrow, Thursday and Friday should be very interesting. I'm shorting after staying out today... The following - SDS, BGZ, SMN and FAZ just a matter of when.... I will watch for precipitation like weather man.

zebonomics 4TL!

Every time someone is right, someone else is wrong.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: TallBill

zebonomics 4TL!

what's your point? zebo is the moron who states everything as fact even though he doesn't know jack squat.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

zebonomics 4TL!

what's your point? zebo is the moron who states everything as fact even though he doesn't know jack squat.

Don't pick stocks unless you want to gamble.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

zebonomics 4TL!

Don't pick stocks unless you want to gamble.

:confused: some of us trade/invest for a living.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

zebonomics 4TL!

I don't think he's short at the moment, I think he was day trading his multi-shorts. In any case, we can't know exactly what the market will do until the economy is clearly recovering and only then can there be any assurance at all that a bottom was hit.

I will readily admit the huge rallies we just have were unexpected by me (and I readily admit I also am just using hunches and guesses, which are based on no historical accuracy, personally :)). I like the analogy I read about the market being a coiled spring, it was ready to explode up or down. Who knows if that's right, but I like to think so. The market sure is volatile. I still think it will go much lower but my confidence in that is shaken.