Massive security hole in CPU's incoming?Official Meltdown/Spectre Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
True, Kaby and Coffee are basically newer revisions of Skylake core. Anyway Coffee retail chips are being produced since mid summer, so I doubt are not affected. And even if not then I dont understand the post above with benchmarks where is clearly performance hit on the Coffee Lake chips.

Like I said, the workaround patch is currently applied to all CPUs, no matter if the issue is there. But it is unlikely that Coffee Lake has fixed this.

Eddward

Apr 10, 2012
But still I think (or hope) there should not be a significant consumer impact if any. Looks like a huge problem for datacenters at first place.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
But still I think (or hope) there should not be a significant consumer impact if any. Looks like a huge problem for datacenters at first place.

my 12 core macpro isnt gonna feel good. Im pushing it pretty hard right now. ill probably freeze my updates until I can upgrade it.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Anyone seen how many architectures back this will affect?

I'm feeling good about my Ryzen desktop system right now (as long as AMD chips get excluded from the patches :rolleyes: ) but am about to put together a Xeon server ...

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017

I'm feeling good about my Ryzen desktop system right now (as long as AMD chips get excluded from the patches :rolleyes: ) but am about to put together a Xeon server ...

As far as we know, the last 10 years or so

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Long way back it looks like.

Funny fact: the most recent Intel cpu which is guaranteed not to have this bug (as it lacks speculative execution) is the original Pentium
smile.png

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...ux-s-x86-security-changes?p=998716#post998716

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Ninja'd. Still need more gaming benchmarks though.

crazylocha

Jun 21, 2010
The best overall description of the issues that will probably sink Intel below AMD's current market cap.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

There it is, ladies. 10 full years of Intel cpu's taking a minor to massive performance hit.

Not one AMD CPU affected.

Question on Coffee Lake/X? Newest gen. Normal process of tapeout to production is around 6 months, design probably 6 more months before that. So if newest coffee lake is NOT affected, than how long ago did Intel know about this issue? IF it is affected, then boom goes the dynamite.

How low is Intel going to have to drop prices to price point as competitive to same speed AMD?
As one YouTuber described the difference in gaming being about the same 30-40% speed difference that is about to be hit by this bug, his recommendation for Intel as top gaming CPU will have to be reconsidered.
As will how many reviews/performance chart's etc?

How many Ryzen sales for gaming use are about to happen ...

As of this FRIDAY!!!!

Pucker up, you thought the dram shortage was uncomfortable and the GPU situation intolerable?

Yet another reason I was glad to get out of machine level coding before 1992. I hate chipset changes like most of you could never know not ever having to wait for 16 boxes of punch cards to load, to find the 1 that is out of order.

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
How low is Intel going to have to drop prices to price point as competitive to same speed AMD?
As one YouTuber described the difference in gaming being about the same 30-40% speed difference that is about to be hit by this bug, his recommendation for Intel as top gaming CPU will have to be reconsidered.

Did you read this by any chance?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-Initial-Gaming-Tests

actual testing

Reactions: psolord

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The best overall description of the issues that will probably sink Intel below AMD's current market cap.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

There it is, ladies. 10 full years of Intel cpu's taking a minor to massive performance hit.

Not one AMD CPU affected.

Question on Coffee Lake/X? Newest gen. Normal process of tapeout to production is around 6 months, design probably 6 more months before that. So if newest coffee lake is NOT affected, than how long ago did Intel know about this issue? IF it is affected, then boom goes the dynamite.

How many Ryzen sales for gaming use are about to happen ...

As of this FRIDAY!!!!

Pucker up, you thought the dram shortage was uncomfortable and the GPU situation intolerable?

Yet another reason I was glad to get out of machine level coding before 1992. I hate chipset changes like most of you could never know not ever having to wait for 16 boxes of punch cards to load, to find the 1 that is out of order.

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...ux-s-x86-security-changes?p=998734#post998734

This is what I hate about so called bug embargo on everything.
https://www.blackhat.com/docs/us-16/...-Intel-TSX.pdf

The flaw that the patch is addressing that is causing the performance bug was presented at blackhat USA 2016. So when it publicly presented and is no longer a secret there is really no point to embargo.

The fault is over 12 months old. Windows and OS X have not fixed it yet. So we are well past the acceptable 90 days secret time frames as well.

AMD implement there memory management unit differently. Even so being able to run properly independent tablets for kernel space and userspace could be useful for finding if drivers are using the proper transfer functions or not.

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
Poor It-guys , they just done with the Intel remote management engine and now possibly a shitload of system getting a performance hit. On both of the issues Intel was warned , questioned :(.

PS/UDATE , i doubt this will affect gaming much , this looks more like a nightmare for any system doing VM hosting.

Last edited:
Reactions: PingSpike

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
intel always REDACTED cheats.

Profanity is not allowed or tolerated in the tech sub forums.
Do not let this happen again.

Iron Woode
Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
The stock has gone up from less than 35.00 to almost 47.00 in six months. So bug or not, I would say that is a pretty good reason to sell.

It just looks really bad that he sold as much as he possibly could to remain CEO; especially with their financial projections.

It is totally plausible he needed as much money on hand as he could, but the timing is awful.

Aug 11, 2008
It just looks really bad that he sold as much as he possibly could to remain CEO; especially with their financial projections.

It is totally plausible he needed as much money on hand as he could, but the timing is awful.
I agree it looks bad, but just saying that the "selling for no apparent reason" is somewhat of an overstatement, since the stock has gained a lot recently and even without the bug, it might be a good time to sell.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
In the spirit of competition, hopefully AMD gets a boost in market-share when the dust settles from this disaster.