Massive security hole in CPU's incoming?Official Meltdown/Spectre Discussion Thread

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
My wife needs a newish PC for facebook and light games.
MicroCenter has some low cost refurb/previous enterprise i3's and i5's.
Is now a bad time to buy a PC?

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Over at r/Intel somebody has posted that the Aida64 GPGPU benchmark shows a big hit for the GPU tests post-Windows update, BIOS and NVIDIA driver fix. It would be interesting to see if other people report the same.

mattiasnyc

Mar 30, 2017
I warned everyone at the office, especially those with Intel-based laptops, that a windows 7 update is likely to cause them some headaches. What is this new development with AMD, though? Now I gotta worry about the not-so-secure Ryzen processors too or is that some fodder generated by Internet "analysts?"

I wouldn't worry. The updated that caused problems for Win 7 / AMD CPUs was pulled by Microsoft, so that shouldn't even be available now.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
My wife needs a newish PC for facebook and light games.
MicroCenter has some low cost refurb/previous enterprise i3's and i5's.
Is now a bad time to buy a PC?
That is a definite yes. If possible, don't buy a new PC right now. Don't even think about past gen refurbs, previous gen products are hit a lot worse by vulnerability patches (performance degradation is considered to be noticeable)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I warned everyone at the office, especially those with Intel-based laptops, that a windows 7 update is likely to cause them some headaches. What is this new development with AMD, though? Now I gotta worry about the not-so-secure Ryzen processors too or is that some fodder generated by Internet "analysts?"

We have a dual Xeon (I think Broadwell, but I'm not positive) in the lab that is our primary microscopy/imaging system--it runs our big fancy inverted Zeiss scope, running their software on Windows 7. It updated itself the other day and I had a minor heart attack, but it didn't BSOD or lock us out yet. ...It's always had issues because the software is rather janky anyway, but I think I just now decided that I need to put that thing offline and force everyone to transfer their data with good old flash drives until all of this is worked out.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I just now decided that I need to put that thing offline and force everyone to transfer their data with good old flash drives until all of this is worked out.
That's always a good thing to do with computers dedicated to driving external devices that are bound to outlive all the software used to drive it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That's always a good thing to do with computers dedicated to driving external devices that are bound to outlive all the software used to drive it.

that is how I wanted it to be from the beginning, and it worked when I was the only one around. Of course, common sense lost out to lack of understanding and mild convenience when other people showed up and had to weigh in. :\

Reactions: moinmoin

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Not only AMD.... Now Apple got a massive hit...

https://m.gsmarena.com/iphone_6_takes_massive_performance_hit_after_spectre_patch-news-29124.php

They are now on ARM A53 levels....
Take a deep breath, then come back to reality.

dcwobwF.png

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
Someone will need to verify that, because if its true holy crap.

I am sure, that this due to the massive down-clocking on older batteries Apple has introduced in iOS 11.2. - so not related to Spectre.
Note, that the original conclusion from gsmarena came from someone who has upgraded from iOS 1.1.x to 1.2.2

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I am sure, that this due to the massive down-clocking on older batteries Apple has introduced in iOS 11.2. - so not related to Spectre.

That is what I'm hoping. I just picked up a new iPhone 6 for my GF's little sister for X-mas. Brand new battery so it should be good I'm hoping.

Reactions: dark zero

traderjay

Sep 24, 2015
Guys the layers of onion unpeeling has just started. Someone should test the performance impact of network interconnect such as infiniband 40 gbps and the like and these are also heavily CPU IO dependent... I have a feeling it is going to take a hit as well.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
No still not getting the Meltdown patches, just that AMD CPU's have always been susceptible to Spectre. Spectre #1 poses little security risk at the time and will be mitigated with patches should cause little to no effect on performance. Their CPU's have always been in theory susceptible to Spectre #2, but due to how the exploit works and how AMD's Architecture is designed it is a near zero risk of people being able to take advantage of that. But it's still a flaw that should be patched. We don't know what the performance effect is of that. What we do know is that the biggest performance hit is from patching for Meltdown. AMD is still free of this.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
yes, considering a computer that reboots itself randomly is what I would call... "not desirable operation"

but they can't just say that their gear is broke

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuosimodo