Massive Overclock on Retail 9700pro...

codehack2

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Stock cooler + Arctic Silver 3 = 370 core / 340 memory

ThermalTake Crystal Orb + Arctic Silver 3 = 430 core / 350 memory

I'm extremely impressed with the Crystal Orb to say the least. Installation was a breeze, as the pushpins line up perfectly with the stock holes on the card, so no messy adhesives. I really knew the orb was smacking the stock cooler when I felt the back of the PCB (directly over the core)... with the stock cooler, touching the PCB was unbearable, with the orb in place it's slightly warm to the touch.

Next up is memory sinks... Did the finger test on the memory and the bga chips are getting pretty damn warm.

Just an FYI for you guys looking to do this... be generous with the AS3 (more so than with a CPU installation), as the shims that ATI places around the GPU core can affect the contact between the Heatsink and core.

CH2

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
lol, unless he has a 4ghz processor i think hes still cpu limmited and benchmarks will look about the same.

Brian48

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Yeah, I would say be VERY GENEROUS with the amount AS3 or whatever grease you use. The gap caused by the shim between the VPU and heatsink is TOO BIG for my comfort. I'm going to wait until there's an aftermarket heatsink (or mod one myself) that can fit within the shim before I try pushing my 9700 too far.

Look here to see what I'm talking about.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Be very careful, AS3 will conduct and has killed video cards before when people used too much and got it on things it shouldn't have been on.

codehack2

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yep... you guys are right. I lucked out with my card as the gap caused by the shim is relatively small... If I had to guess, I'd say I probably went double the amount of AS3 I usually use on a Athlon core (which in reality is still pretty small). Just to be safe, I did the initial application ran the card for a few hours and then pulled it to check for AS3 leackage. None to speak of, so I think I'm going to be safe.

I'll get some benchies done tomorrow... Sorry boys... I have a town to paint red tonight :)

CH2

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
i always use Arctic Alumina with video cards. pretty much the same peformance as AS3, but it isn't nearly as conductive. better safe than sorry.