News Massive 20GB Intel IP Data Breach!

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Among the thing leaked:
  • Intel ME Bringup guides + (flash) tooling + samples for various platforms
  • Kabylake (Purley Platform) BIOS Reference Code and Sample Code + Initialization code (some of it as exported git repos with full history)
  • Intel CEFDK (Consumer Electronics Firmware Development Kit (Bootloader stuff)) SOURCES
  • Silicon / FSP source code packages for various platforms
  • Various Intel Development and Debugging Tools
  • Simics Simulation for Rocket Lake S and potentially other platforms
  • Various roadmaps and other documents
  • Binaries for Camera drivers Intel made for SpaceX
  • Schematics, Docs, Tools + Firmware for the unreleased Tiger Lake platform
  • (very horrible) Kabylake FDK training videos
  • Intel Trace Hub + decoder files for various Intel ME versions
  • Elkhart Lake Silicon Reference and Platform Sample Code
  • Some Verilog stuff for various Xeon Platforms, unsure what it is exactly.
  • Debug BIOS/TXE builds for various Platforms
  • Bootguard SDK (encrypted zip)
  • Intel Snowridge / Snowfish Process Simulator ADK
  • Various schematics
  • Intel Marketing Material Templates (InDesign)

Hope this isn't a repost.

Reactions: lightmanek

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Update:

Update: Intel has responded to Tom's Hardware with an official statement:

"We are investigating this situation. The information appears to come from the Intel Resource and Design Center, which hosts information for use by our customers, partners and other external parties who have registered for access. We believe an individual with access downloaded and shared this data."

Intel's Resource and Design Center is a website dedicated to providing the company's partners with NDA documentation for product integration purposes. Reports are also cropping up that some of the files are marked with NDA license agreements to "Centerm Information Co. Ltd., a Chinese company established and existing under the laws of the People's Republic of China," meaning this company could have been also hacked.

Since this was put out for NDA partners to download, I doubt it has anything too saucy in regards to actual design IP, but still is not a good thing obviously. I wonder if they'll be able to pinpoint the leaker/hacker.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Also:

Interestingly, the tweeter also notes "If you find password protected zips in the release the password is probably either "Intel123" or "intel123". This was not set by me or my source, this is how it was acquired from Intel."

If this is true, wow!

I have data sensitive enough that I need to encrypt it, better put a good password on it. I know, the company I work for and the first 3 digits anyone would think to add to the end, that should be safe.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Update:

Since this was put out for NDA partners to download, I doubt it has anything too saucy in regards to actual design IP, but still is not a good thing obviously. I wonder if they'll be able to pinpoint the leaker/hacker.

I would guess there's a very good chance. The hits just keep on coming for Intel. Though I wouldn't mind seeing some NDA slides leaked.

Doug S

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2020
Update:

Apparently someone just looked for and found an unprotected CDN, so there wasn't any "hacking" required.

• Wow
Reactions: lightmanek

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Apparently someone just looked for and found an unprotected CDN, so there wasn't any "hacking" required.

I've seen that floated, I just have a hard time believing it. I think it's much more likely that whoever got in did it using credentials, either their own or ones they got from someone else one way or the other.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Intel should share more frequently CPU/GPU roadmaps and architecture events with the public to prevent some of these leaks. Intels defensive public information style in the last years is partially a result of such leak imho. In the last few years there was only one meaningful event which is old by now, this is all too late.

Doug S

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2020
I've seen that floated, I just have a hard time believing it. I think it's much more likely that whoever got in did it using credentials, either their own or ones they got from someone else one way or the other.

Regardless, these were documents Intel shared with partners under NDA, not some super-secret internal only stuff.

Reactions: ryan20fun

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
We may soon see an inflation of Intel roadmaps since among this "leak" are apparently slide templates that Intel uses for its official slides. :p
Except whatever I read from Intel for the last 2 years, I don't believe. When they get a product out that is not 14nm+++++ and available to buy, then maybe I can start to believe them. They are even getting sued by their investors for lying about roadmaps and such.

And my sarcasm meter may be broken based on your smiley face.

Reactions: Drazick

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
We may soon see an inflation of Intel roadmaps since among this "leak" are apparently slide templates that Intel uses for its official slides. :p
Most fake leaks fail due to other reasons. We believed the Dell roadmap leaks, were they similar to usual Intel slides?