Massachusetts may go further than NY in new gun control laws

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
If they're dumb enough to put up with this, good riddance to Massachusetts, and the idiots who live there. :rolleyes:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
MA has the best universities in the entire world.

and what does that have to do with legislators being unable to realize that the bills they are considering passing as law will more or less be completely ineffective at deterring gun crime?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Moonie has turned into the exact definition of a troll, so don't feed his desire for attention.

The only desire I have is to show DM how whacked his thinking is. And yours too for that matter since you're wandering around in the dark. Take Dominoes for example. I'm still waiting for the North Vietnamese to overrun Texas. You folk are hysterical and it doesn't take much effort to mirror it.

You have a brain disease that makes you have paranoid delusions several times a day. You have all those fear neurons growing in your right amygdalas and the want to shoot at something.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The only desire I have is to show DM how whacked his thinking is. And yours too for that matter since you're wandering around in the dark. Take Dominoes for example. I'm still waiting for the North Vietnamese to overrun Texas. You folk are hysterical and it doesn't take much effort to mirror it.

You have a brain disease that makes you have paranoid delusions several times a day. You have all those fear neurons growing in your right amygdalas and the want to shoot at something.

There's a distinct change in the tone of your posts over the years, becoming much more confrontational, antagonistic, rude, and spiteful. I predict somewhere around 2009, you stopped taking your meds or smoking dope or both and it really changed you into the troll you have become today.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There's a distinct change in the tone of your posts over the years, becoming much more confrontational, antagonistic, rude, and spiteful. I predict somewhere around 2009, you stopped taking your meds or smoking dope or both and it really changed you into the troll you have become today.

Actually neuroscience proved that conservatives are tone deaf, that as possessors of brains that react excessively and irrationally to information that frightens, threatens, their egos owing to enlargement of the fear center in the brain and a corresponding shrinkage, compared to liberals, of the cingulate that suppresses fear when rational thought is applied. This has long been known in other ways, take this saying as an example.

The answer to a fool is silence but experience has shown that any other answer will, in the long run, have the same effect. Conservatives are immune to reason, but the science says that ridicule may has other effects. Most folk don't like being pieces of shit but they can't act on it till they are told who they are. I still love you, but my love got a bit tougher. I expose you now to your own internal disgust. And don't forget, science documents the fact that conservatives have become dangerous. People don't react with friendliness to rattle snakes. But I sympathize with you since you don't understand any of this and think I'm the one who is crazy.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
If you think they are dumbasses you're probably a liberal. They make that mistake all the time.

HAHA!!

Im about as anti-liberal as you can get. Both liberals and conservatives are useless sacks of shit, both are just as evil and stupid as the other, its just that liberals are more outspoken about their lack of reasoning and conservatives are hypocrites.

Im a libertarian, because I have a clue.

Feb 4, 2009
I know MA isn't doing this but there is talk about securing schools better, I think a gun/bullet tax is an ideal way to pay for it. Lets be honest the NRA wants us all to shell out apx 2 billion to hire & train armed guards for schools to protect against guns a gun/bullet tax is the responsible fair way to pay for it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
HAHA!!

Im about as anti-liberal as you can get. Both liberals and conservatives are useless sacks of shit, both are just as evil and stupid as the other, its just that liberals are more outspoken about their lack of reasoning and conservatives are hypocrites.

Im a libertarian, because I have a clue.

No you don't. You're just another worthless brain dead conservative who can't quote a single piece of scientific fact to support your opinion.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Actually neuroscience proved that conservatives are tone deaf, that as possessors of brains that react excessively and irrationally to information that frightens, threatens, their egos owing to enlargement of the fear center in the brain and a corresponding shrinkage, compared to liberals, of the cingulate that suppresses fear when rational thought is applied. This has long been known in other ways, take this saying as an example.

The answer to a fool is silence but experience has shown that any other answer will, in the long run, have the same effect. Conservatives are immune to reason, but the science says that ridicule may has other effects. Most folk don't like being pieces of shit but they can't act on it till they are told who they are. I still love you, but my love got a bit tougher. I expose you now to your own internal disgust. And don't forget, science documents the fact that conservatives have become dangerous. People don't react with friendliness to rattle snakes. But I sympathize with you since you don't understand any of this and think I'm the one who is crazy.

Your reply was neither about yourself, nor the topic at hand. You've never actually discussed the topic of gun control, your only answer is "Conservatives are ruled by their primate instincts and are impervious to reasoning." That's really not an argument for or against a position.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Your reply was neither about yourself, nor the topic at hand. You've never actually discussed the topic of gun control, your only answer is "Conservatives are ruled by their primate instincts and are impervious to reasoning." That's really not an argument for or against a position.

Very true but it is a powerful and ineluctable argument for why it would be useless for me to state one. Unless I have somebody who can reason and understand simple logic, why put any out there? You want to do math and you can't count. That would be no problem if you were honest. We could start with counting, but you already think you can.

What I did say was that gun nuts should come to the table where this subject is under discussion or they will have no input whatsoever. In short, the left will do all the decision making if the right refuses, out of stupidity, to come to the table and be flexible. The reactions in this thread are indicative of serious brain defects. Nobody is going to pay serious attention to a bunch of lunatic fruit cakes. Folk are not going to stand by and watch their kids get slaughtered by assault weapons and all the bull shit arguments that try to deny that will be swept away. Try to bring some reasonableness to the table.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
I know MA isn't doing this but there is talk about securing schools better, I think a gun/bullet tax is an ideal way to pay for it. Lets be honest the NRA wants us all to shell out apx 2 billion to hire & train armed guards for schools to protect against guns a gun/bullet tax is the responsible fair way to pay for it.

this is a good idea. A very good idea.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

Lol suddenly spending is an issue when its 2 bn to protect schools?

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
I hope Smith & Wesson leaves the state. They obviously aren't wanted there.

I'm sure the world's largest small arms manufacturer and their tens of millions of dollars in tax revenue would be more than welcome in whatever sane states remain in the Union.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
What logic, precisely, compels you to think gun owners alone should pay additional taxes to secure schools? Also, NRA membership is a pretty small percentage of total gun owners.
What I did say was that gun nuts should come to the table where this subject is under discussion or they will have no input whatsoever. In short, the left will do all the decision making if the right refuses, out of stupidity, to come to the table and be flexible. The reactions in this thread are indicative of serious brain defects. Nobody is going to pay serious attention to a bunch of lunatic fruit cakes. Folk are not going to stand by and watch their kids get slaughtered by assault weapons and all the bull shit arguments that try to deny that will be swept away. Try to bring some reasonableness to the table.
In the absence of facts and data people resort to emotion and fear. Which category do you think your behavior here falls into?

If Moonbeam thinks that the Left is going to steamroll the Right for not negotiating and not being "reasonable" he should probably keep in mind facts like:

- Less than 1% of gun homicides in 2011 in NY involved a rifle (I expect rates similar across the country), thus concentrating so much effort on their control is not reasonable
- Recent supreme court rulings have increased gun rights, thus assumption of unilateral party steam-rolling is not reasonable
- public support for more gun control has been steadily dropping, largely over the past two decades, thus assumption of unilateral party steam-rolling is not reasonable

Let's not forget that gun ownership is already dropping (though number of guns is steadily increasing; fewer people with more of them) and gun violence has dropped substantially over the past two decades (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ix-facts-about-guns-violence-and-gun-control/).

Some of these new laws being proposed or already passed are hopeless wastes of time and do a great injustice to the future people who will be murdered due to their ineffectiveness. Example of a good law: NY has increased the penalty for straw-purchasing for a person who cannot legally buy. This is a great idea. Another: NY now requires you to lock your guns up away from family members if one of them is a mental case. Example of a bad one: You can keep your 10 round magazine but you need to promise to not load more than 7 rounds into it.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What logic, precisely, compels you to think gun owners alone should pay additional taxes to secure schools? Also, NRA membership is a pretty small percentage of total gun owners.In the absence of facts and data people resort to emotion and fear. Which category do you think your behavior here falls into?

If Moonbeam thinks that the Left is going to steamroll the Right for not negotiating and not being "reasonable" he should probably keep in mind facts like:

- Less than 1% of gun homicides in 2011 in NY involved a rifle (I expect rates similar across the country), thus concentrating so much effort on their control is not reasonable
- Recent supreme court rulings have increased gun rights, thus assumption of unilateral party steam-rolling is not reasonable
- public support for more gun control has been steadily dropping, largely over the past two decades, thus assumption of unilateral party steam-rolling is not reasonable

Let's not forget that gun ownership is already dropping (though number of guns is steadily increasing; fewer people with more of them) and gun violence has dropped substantially over the past two decades (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ix-facts-about-guns-violence-and-gun-control/).

Some of these new laws being proposed or already passed are hopeless wastes of time and do a great injustice to the future people who will be murdered due to their ineffectiveness. Example of a good law: NY has increased the penalty for straw-purchasing for a person who cannot legally buy. This is a great idea. Another: NY now requires you to lock your guns up away from family members if one of them is a mental case. Example of a bad one: You can keep your 10 round magazine but you need to promise to not load more than 7 rounds into it.

Are you trying to tell me that gun nuts can make a rational case?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
What logic, precisely, compels you to think gun owners alone should pay additional taxes to secure schools? Also, NRA membership is a pretty small percentage of total gun owners.In the absence of facts and data people resort to emotion and fear. Which category do you think your behavior here falls into?

The irony is that when more households owned guns, support for gun control as far as a pistol ban was MUCH higher.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
The percentage of households with a firearm statistic is meaningless by itself.

There are many more women living by themselves nowadays than there were in 1960, when they would get married young.

Women are much less likely to own guns than males, so this skews the polling data if not accounted for.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008