Mass Effect Artifacts with new 470

nvidiaintelftw

Apr 4, 2011
In heavy light situtations im getting flashing sqaures and little colored circles. Is this a problem with mass effect 1? its only in the light no where else. Stock clocks and stock voltages

The 470 is from asus RMA

Does anyone else get this little artifacts. is it just a game problem??

nvidiaintelftw

Apr 4, 2011
okay new problem. Shouldnt the card go up to 800mhz if i run OCCT?? I applied my overclock but it goes up to 608mhz the stock clock. doesnt even seem like its overclocking

OKAY WOW! so i got the new Afterburner. it clocked up fine. but got artifacts in Kombuster. so i checked ot see if it did the same thing at stock clocks. Artifacts.

Last edited:

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Mass Effect does have some weird graphical glitches with the lighting during cutscenes particularly, but if you can post a picture it would help.

nvidiaintelftw

Apr 4, 2011
Mass Effect does have some weird graphical glitches with the lighting during cutscenes particularly, but if you can post a picture it would help.

oh well yeah its during cut scenes and in bright light situations. the card artifacts in Kombuster though it seems like or im just seeing stuff

kamikazekyle

Feb 23, 2007
I got a few transparency artifacts in ME2 -- don't have 1 installed so I can't check. However, if the card is artifacting in other 3D instances, then it probably has other issues. Try the OpenGL and DirectX versions of Kombustor separtely and see if it exhibits the same in both. If it does, it's most likely hardware. If it doesn't, then it's probably software.

nvidiaintelftw

Apr 4, 2011
I got a few transparency artifacts in ME2 -- don't have 1 installed so I can't check. However, if the card is artifacting in other 3D instances, then it probably has other issues. Try the OpenGL and DirectX versions of Kombustor separtely and see if it exhibits the same in both. If it does, it's most likely hardware. If it doesn't, then it's probably software.

weird thing. it does not see any erros in OCCT with 8 Shader Complexity

kamikazekyle

Feb 23, 2007
Hrm, never used OCCT before (had to google it to figure out what it was). Does it have an actual 3D rendering it displays at it benches, or does it just do the test and display results without a live 3D scene? I can't find any screenshots that aren't just interface, so figured I ask.

I had some similar tools back in the day that would do artifact testing, but weren't always that great for detecting problems by themselves. But, that was something akin to 10 years ago and I haven't used anything since. And since I haven't used OCCT (and am at work), I'm just kinda tossing out ideas.

Hrm, another random thought. Maybe the VRAM is overheating a bit in games, so you only really notice artifacting during high GPU use? *shrug*

Mabye fire up one or two other games just to be sure, but I'm leaning to a hardware issue. You can always clean the drivers and OC apps (Afterburner, et al), install fresh, and try it at stock to rule out something with the drivers or a 3rd party tweaking tool.

nvidiaintelftw

Apr 4, 2011
It ran though Unigine at stock clocks. i might just call of asus and file another RMA. but id need the card first before sending this back because i need my computer up for the next couple weeks because of a major project im doing for my senior year

ikachu

Jan 19, 2011
You're not talking about the 'film grain' special effect by any chance? It basically adds a bunch of noise to the display I guess to make it look like it's on film; I found it super annoying. You can disable it in the in-game graphics options.

nvidiaintelftw

Apr 4, 2011
You're not talking about the 'film grain' special effect by any chance? It basically adds a bunch of noise to the display I guess to make it look like it's on film; I found it super annoying. You can disable it in the in-game graphics options.

no i know. its disabled