Mass Effect 4

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
......is if any save game information from the previous titles carries over.
I highly doubt it, as this is suppose to break completely from the first 3

It would be odd as technically should only need to carry over from 2, but I suppose they could import a 3 save but it would only need to look at the decisions from 1 and 2 as the Arks left before 3 started

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
What I liked about the ME series:
1. Sci Fi
2. Importing character/save games
3. Characterizations of aliens and humans (personalities, ethics, etc)
4. Exploring alien cultures and worlds...would have liked more of an open world concept with the ability to explore more of
the planets instead of being restricted to limited areas
5. The endings for 3 didn't annoy me, though I did not buy ME3 when it first came out Actually, I thought the ending where human and machine become integrated was not that bad, though that outcome seemed a bit of an add on as the entire series premise had been organic life vs evil artificial intelligence.
Anyway, I enjoyed the games but will wait until Andromeda has been out awhile before I decide to buy it. I hope it will be a great game, but then again one never knows until it's released. If it turns out to be only fair, I'll pick it up in the "bargain bin".

The Wife

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I highly doubt it, as this is suppose to break completely from the first 3

It would be odd as technically should only need to carry over from 2, but I suppose they could import a 3 save but it would only need to look at the decisions from 1 and 2 as the Arks left before 3 started

Did some digging around and they will not use the saves like previous titles did. Makes sense if the story is suppose to be new and not building on your previous character (Shepherd). I'm getting the new Nvidia Shield TV so really looking to stream in 4k so I didn't want to be tied to the Xbox.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Thought I would fire up ME3 for a playthrough prior to ME4. holy heck - ME3 has NOT aged well. Its not fugly. But it ain't the pretty game I remembered it to be.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Mass Effect 2 was the best one.

Im not really a fan of the series. It is too serious. Not enough wonder. Sci fi at its worst is like this. Sci fi at its best creates a sense of wonder. This game is a murder simulation set in a zombie outbreak in outer space.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Thought I would fire up ME3 for a playthrough prior to ME4. holy heck - ME3 has NOT aged well. Its not fugly. But it ain't the pretty game I remembered it to be.

I don't think its bad looking with everything maxed. Textures look fine and such. It still looks better than some more recent console games. But the engine was starting to age when ME3 came out. But I think it still plays well. The one that has aged the worse is ME1, as the controls are just terrible once you have played ME2 and ME3.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Mass Effect 2 was the best one.

Im not really a fan of the series. It is too serious. Not enough wonder. Sci fi at its worst is like this. Sci fi at its best creates a sense of wonder. This game is a murder simulation set in a zombie outbreak in outer space.

Murder simulator? Just how much of the games did you play? It is nothing like that. ME2 at the end kind of has the zombie feel once you are on the collector ship, but thats about it.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Murder simulator? Just how much of the games did you play? It is nothing like that. ME2 at the end kind of has the zombie feel once you are on the collector ship, but thats about it.

I've beaten all 3.

I don't like the militaristic sci-fi theme. Sci-fi yes. Militaristic...no. It's pretty stupid that mankind gets to space only to keep on killing each other.

They at least could have made it interesting with gravitational mechanics...but they don't. Piloting your little ship around from planet to planet is easier than rowing a canoe.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I've beaten all 3.

I don't like the militaristic sci-fi theme. Sci-fi yes. Militaristic...no. It's pretty stupid that mankind gets to space only to keep on killing each other.

They at least could have made it interesting with gravitational mechanics...but they don't. Piloting your little ship around from planet to planet is easier than rowing a canoe.

Both of those are accurate reflections of reality. We'll have self-driving cars before the middle of this century, and we'll still be killing each other at its end.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Yep. The fight for "me me me" is the only real drive of humanity. There's no reason to think that isn't going to be the real push into space when it comes down to it.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
I've beaten all 3.

The only constants about mankind are base instincts. Sex. Greed. Violence. Drugs. And so on and so forth. That is all. We are nothing more than slightly advanced but even more depraved apes. Any human settlement on this planet will have the local equivalent of a pub and a whorehouse and a dealer no matter where you go. Space or no. The military part is bang on. We'll keep killing each over petty rubbish till they ain't nothing left.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I don't understand why he played all 3 games before he decided he didn't like the theme.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I hope for the multiplayer co-op they make the maps more dynamic. The DA:I co-op got stale fast. If they have 3 stages and 3 different things for each stage, that gives you 27 combinations on just one map. Even having 4 different possibilities with a variety of enemies would be better.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
I am both eager as well as concerned about ME4 and as such would not be buying it at launch
- eager , because Bioware is still (largely) Bioware and knows how to tell the story like few else.
- concern, well, EA is still EA and does a lot of things I greatly don't like
-- I don't like turning amazing RPG stories into stupid (sorry, accessible) shooters.
-- I don't like forced MP, really? if you want to blast things online there are tons of games for you, with great physics , teams, etc. all of the battlefields, titanfalls, etc. please leave RPGs alone
-- I hate forced link between MP and SP , I think it was called 'galactic readiness' or something stupid as that. I want a great SP experience, at my pace , in a world that could suck you in and engage you, make you care about characters, about their choices, your choices, etc. Not constant nerphing and updates, and rebalances, because companies try to turn everything into online sport.
-- don't like DLC to death crap.

So I will be playing Kingdom Come Deliverance earlier in the year and see what comes out of ME4 (with patches, updates ,etc) by the summer..

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
so it will be origin only AND a destiny wannabe? I will most likely stay very away.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I wouldn't bother taking anything he posts seriously.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
"so it will be origin only AND a destiny wannabe"

agree on staying away at least initially. longer term - money speaks, once they milk the fan base and early adopters, there would be desire to release on other platforms (a sale is a sale) . and as a side bonus, the game would be patched for bugs, and may be even optimized. so if you do no HAVE to have it on the launch date, waiting is always preferred.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
there would be desire to release on other platforms

We never saw that with ME3 even though 1&2 were on Steam. EA has pushing Origin as a higher priority than extra sales on another platform.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I don't think MEA will ever come to Steam. ME3 never did. Same for Titanfall (1&2). Dead Space 3... EA is fully behind their own store and they're probably happy with the revenue. And people will download and install Origin to play MEA.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I don't think MEA will ever come to Steam. ME3 never did. Same for Titanfall (1&2). Dead Space 3... EA is fully behind their own store and they're probably happy with the revenue. And people will download and install Origin to play MEA.

It probably speaks volumes (for me at least) that I didn't know there even was a dead space 3, since it never ended up on Steam.

Incidentally I also never bothered buying ME2 since ME3 wasn't on Steam and I didn't have an interest in sourcing it elsewhere. That might just be me being crotchety though.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
If you change your mind about that, Mass Effect 2 is free right now on Origin.

I'd feel obligated to buy ME3 and all associated DLC if I did that, and I've got a steam backlog that I'll probably never finish as-is.

It'd actually be cool if companies just flatly released their games for free after like a decade. There's too many 'old games' that end up on steam that just sit at like $10-20 forever (like KOTOR, random ID games, etc).

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I bought ME 1 and ME 2 on Steam, but I could activate those same keys in Origin, too. It's also simpler with the ME series DLCs in Origin.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Can't believe ME3 is nearly 5 years old. Feels like I only played it yesterday....getting old.