Maryland sniper shootings caused by D & D???!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hominid skull

Nov 13, 1999
How many D+D characters have Sniper riffles in game!!! From my point of veiw the NRA are more responsible, what posible reason has a member of the general public got for buying a sniper riffle. If you sell guns, people will be shot with said guns.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: hominid skull
How many D+D characters have Sniper riffles in game!!! From my point of veiw the NRA are more responsible, what posible reason has a member of the general public got for buying a sniper riffle. If you sell guns, people will be shot with said guns.

Never heard of hunting eh?

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones

Never heard of hunting eh?
Yeah I love getting headshots on those deer with my Dragunov.

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
But what if it turns out to be true ?

Guess what, he also eats bread! So anyone who eats bread will be sonner or later a killer!

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BDawg
Originally posted by: faZZter
Originally posted by: rh71
But what if it turns out to be true ?

If it turns out to be true (that D&D caused the shootings) I will print out this thread and eat it!!!!! :)

Okay guys, time to nef up this thread so he's eating 1000+ threads. ;)

here's my contribution!

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
I played Baldur's Gate. Does that mean I am lethal at 1000 yards?

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

Dude, guns don't kill people, I do...

FYI, A sniper rifle is a slightly modified hunting rifle, accuracy shooting is a sport, and in fact snipers participate in competition. If you feel that strongly about evil black guns, write your congressperson...

The .223 shell casing is not a typical sniper round, if he's shooting a .223, it could be a hunting rifle, or run of the mill gun from Wal Mart. Further, I could go buy a pistol today that uses that round & make the same shots...

Strongly suggest you research your rant before posting..

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

Dude, guns don't kill people, I do...

FYI, A sniper rifle is a slightly modified hunting rifle, accuracy shooting is a sport, and in fact snipers participate in competition. If you feel that strongly about evil black guns, write your congressperson...

The .223 shell casing is not a typical sniper round, if he's shooting a .223, it could be a hunting rifle, or run of the mill gun from Wal Mart. Further, I could go buy a pistol today that uses that round & make the same shots...

Strongly suggest you research your rant before posting..

No joke, it worries me about these folks that make calls based on stuff they don't know. Do you know how many .223 rounds there are? .223 is just a designation, there are TONS of .223 rounds out there. .22, .22LR, .22 Hornaday, .22-250, .22 Swift, and many more all fall into the .223 caliber.

What really kills me is the report on CBS last night. Had a guy shoot a 1gal water jug from about 30 feet with an AR15 varient. It of course explodes. Then the reporter, grasping the shredded jug says something like "you saw what the .223 round does to a jug of water, and remember, the human body is comprised mostly of water"

Puh-lease.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
lol:) cuz u know.. there is a correlation between d&d playing and military level marksmanship :p

geeks = dangerous ;)

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Maryland sniper shootings caused by D & D???!!!!
It seems as though you have a great deal of trouble comprehending even the most simple of statements. Nowhere did the FBI profiler, at least according to the quote you provided, so much as imply let alone say that the shootings were 'caused by role playing games such as Dungeons and Dragons'. That wasn't remotely his point, which you seem to lack the sophistication to have received properly.

This sniper is a serial killer. Granted, the killings/shootings seem to have an element of randomness, but there is always a method to a serial killer's madness. He chooses his victims based upon SOME criteria, what that may be in this particular case, we don't know at this time.

Now, having a little insight into criminal psychology, I can tell you with absolute certainty that, among the profiles the FBI has developed for serial killers, none of them suggest that a role-playing game has 'caused' or 'contributed' in any way to the making of a serial killer.

cremator

Sep 21, 2001
don't worry...at least hes blaming it on a crappy game....and dont even flame me...i saw a grown man (about 40) talking about how damn great his super card was....how nothing could beat it....well this could drive any man insane...the gayness of cardgames....is poker not enough? damn some people are just too lame.....

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
I bet that the sniper breathes oxygen. In fact, I'm pretty sure that every single criminal and murderer there is breathes oxygen!!!! That means that oxygen turn people in to criminals!!! OMG :Q!!!

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: cremator
don't worry...at least hes blaming it on a crappy game....and dont even flame me...i saw a grown man (about 40) talking about how damn great his super card was....how nothing could beat it....well this could drive any man insane...the gayness of cardgames....is poker not enough? damn some people are just too lame.....

D&D isnt a card game. Card games other than poker (blackjack is my game, poker is for posers ;)) are in no way connected to homosexuality, although they are connected to happiness (if you are winning) so I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you meant that definition.

I hate to say it, but the people I know most interrested in firearms are almost all Unix people...

cremator

Sep 21, 2001
well i really dont care...all i know is i see tons of people dressed up at robots,wizzards,gnomes, and other weird ass things going to conventions....which is gay lame and homosexual....

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
well i really dont care...all i know is i see tons of people dressed up at robots,wizzards,gnomes, and other weird ass things going to conventions....which is gay lame and homosexual....

And you spend your time playing quake. If you have fun and dont hurt anyone, you should have to takee crap from children about it. Grow up, go outside, shave your palms.

kherman

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
I think video games are linked to everything. Like today, when I was at the urinal. I realized that until I played Duke Nukem 3D, I always used the toilet for a number one.

cremator

Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey

And you spend your time playing quake. If you have fun and dont hurt anyone, you should have to takee crap from children about it. Grow up, go outside, shave your palms.

Grow up? Hmmk you need to go back to school and learn that palms don't grow hair....Quake is still the best damn game around, get over it.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
cremator
all i know is i see tons of people dressed up at robots,wizzards,gnomes, and other weird ass things going to conventions....which is gay lame and homosexual....
Another Proud Son for the Great State Of Georgia..Bwuahahaha!

you need to go back to school and learn that palms don't grow hair....Quake is still the best damn game around, get over it.
Another example of why first cousins shouldn't marry!

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey

Grow up? Hmmk you need to go back to school and learn that palms don't grow hair....Quake is still the best damn game around, get over it.

You prove my point for me, thank you.

EDIT: Had to fix that annoying Italics problem.

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
These people are like the mom in Waterboy: "You playin' the foosball?!" Their first reaction is "they must be into the D&D"

Jul 1, 2000
D & D witch hunts. Like ohhhh mah gawd that is so 1985
rolleye.gif