Maryland becomes a "shall issue" state

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Sorry I should have claried. I understand the open carry point, I meant my personal safety around non-criminals carrying concealed weapons. Sorry for the confusing sentence!

Im just not seeing your second point. You cant tell someones intent one way or the other if there is ccw or open carry.

Except with open carry I can choose :)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
if you see their weapon they're doing it wrong and may even be breaking statutes, depending on if it was open carry or concealed!

Not in my state, KY. It's not uncommon at all to see somebody carrying a weapon openly even here in Louisville. Hell, you can keep a loaded firearm in your glove box without a CCDW.

I really love my state most of the time.

But we're getting WAY off topic. Isn't the the 2nd or 3rd state to become shall issue since the 2010 historic election?

Last edited:

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
what if *I* feel safer knowing that you don't know i have a gun? now you're removing that choice from me. . . . .

Yes but with no CC you still have a gun to feel safe with, whereas with your option I have nothing.

Also, there is no inherent danger in your example, just perceived psychological comfort. They dont seem to equate.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
From our most "Liberal" President we have had in a while:

"And I, like most Americans, believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms. And we recognize the traditions of gun ownership that passed on from generation to generation -— that hunting and shooting are part of a cherished national heritage," he said" - Barack Obama

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...round-checks-gun-buyers-aurora-033815400.html

Sorry gun-grabbers, unless Kucinich is magically elected, you will have to deal with the fact that your neighbor doesn't have to call 911 when they hear the glass break downstairs, and you do.

Gun-rights are a big no-no....nobody will touch them.

It is not (D) v (R) issue, like so many others. There is no religious motivation towards it. I know as many (D) gun owners as (R).

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Sorry I should have claried. I understand the open carry point, I meant my personal safety around non-criminals carrying concealed weapons. Sorry for the confusing sentence!

Im just not seeing your second point. You cant tell someones intent one way or the other if there is ccw or open carry.

Except with open carry I can choose :)

Must be hell to drive in a car.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Yes but with no CC you still have a gun to feel safe with, whereas with your option I have nothing.

Also, there is no inherent danger in your example, just perceived psychological comfort. They dont seem to equate.

I'm done discussing this with you. You would feel safer knowing if I had a gun or not, which is your perceived psychological comfort. Fine. I can respect that. But your psychological comfort does NOT trump mine. End of discussion. Thanks.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
And you knew what those fears were how?

I respect your right to carry around a weapon in public. I should be fully aware that you are. This gives me the option of avoiding you if I dont feel comfortable being around someone carrying a loaded weapon.

We force trucks which carry hazardous materials to clearly display that they are doing so. I dont see how a person carrying gun is any different.

See above.

Why are the 2 of you assigning opinions I never stated (what logic?).

Also I believe the Kleck studies which (originally, and led to that famous book) showed the benefits of gun ownership on crime rates were inconclusive.

Also, I dont get the logic. Wouldnt everyone seeing your weapon have more effect than not knowing?

EDIT: Dont trust your memory :) Further research indicates that the various studies arent conclusive. Are you aware of a different study (other than Kleck)?

There are no conclusive studies, I looked. Why do you think debates like these last so long? But all of the correlations that I'm aware of are either in favor of gun rights, or at least prove that the negative impact (if there is any) is negligible.

So from the sound of it you'd be fine with judging people based on if they're carrying a gun? I've had more than one experience meeting new people, and even when we have a good rapport, the moment I casually mention that I own and shoot guns, some people (thankfully a minority) start shying away. Your attitude reminds me of such people. I could carry concealed all day and you wouldn't know it unless I told you, yet if you knew you'd avoid me. This frightens you? You think I'm the Colorado killer in disguise?

Dare I say... gunism? :p

A gun is not hazardous material, it isn't going to go off at a moment's notice due to uncontrolled external stimuli. You could drop most modern handguns a billion times and they won't go off. Likewise a person carrying a gun legally is not a hazardous person. Quite the opposite usually. I'll point you to the statistics of the government of Texas on CCW conviction rates.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/Reports/ConvictionRatesReport2011.pdf
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/reports/ActLicAndInstr/ActiveLicandInstr2011.pdf

By those numbers 0.023% of all CCW holders in Texas were convicted of any misdemeanor or felony in 2011, including nonviolent ones. Obviously we're the demographic you want to avoid. :rolleyes:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Is this like the meyham that ensued in the GA town that required gun ownership? Whose crime dropped 50% following that law being passed?

is this like the swiss who arm their citizens but have a deathrate of less than 1/100,000 by guns?

Since you clearly believe that citing results from other countries - and in particular Switzerland - is a valid method of argumentation, and because you're a highly principled person, you must also take to heart other results from Switzerland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland#Health

Swiss citizens are universally required to buy health insurance from private insurance companies, which in turn are required to accept every applicant. While the cost of the system is among the highest, the system compares well with other European countries in terms of health outcomes, so patients are largely satisfied with it.

So you strongly approve of Obamacare, right?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
This x100000000000...

I have been waiting for this for a long time but I don'y expect it to happen anytime soon.

Well now we have precedent. In fact I wonder if Maryland didn't take this to SCOTUS because they're afraid it would set precedent at that level (which could greatly affect California and the other gun-control holdouts)

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Why would a gang member have any interest in having a CCW permit? It makes no sense that someone who's whole life pretty much revolves around breaking the law would pay money to not break the law...and you've seen these gang members, in Canada, with concealed weapons permits? HAHAHAHAHA...

You are the stupidest person posting on this forum, bar none. You are a complete moron. Congratulations, you're special.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Right, because mass shooting are acceptable.
Because in a "free" society bad people do bad things and there's nothing we can do to prevent them from doing it, what's stupid is limiting the ability of their victims to protect themselves when one of these lunatics flips their lid

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Right, because mass shooting are acceptable.

Right, because Sherrif's opinions would stop mass shootings. :rolleyes:

You don't compromise the rights of 306,000,000 for a few dozen victims. You want to actually reduce the problem, try looking into social programs to locate and help people like these crazies before they explode. Even then mass shootings will still happen every now and then as one slips through the cracks.

Karmy, it's time for your 14 year old Utopian ideals to phase out.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Right, because Sherrif's opinions would stop mass shootings. :rolleyes:

You don't compromise the rights of 306,000,000 for a few dozen victims. You want to actually reduce the problem, try looking into social programs to locate and help people like these crazies before they explode. Even then mass shootings will still happen every now and then as one slips through the cracks.

Karmy, it's time for your 14 year old Utopian ideals to phase out.

Uh, we do similar maths all the time over product safety.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Since you clearly believe that citing results from other countries - and in particular Switzerland - is a valid method of argumentation, and because you're a highly principled person, you must also take to heart other results from Switzerland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland#Health

So you strongly approve of Obamacare, right?

I'm actually not opposed to a universal healthcare system. I think obamacare has some glaring flaws that need to be addressed. But then again that's probably because he's black, and i'm a racist republican. amirite?

I'm just bringing up examples of the wild-west fallacy that somehow exudes from the left when the topic of guncontrol comes up. When given firearms most rational law abiding citizens will act responsibly. it also helps that the swiss income disparity is not nearly as high as ours!!

back on topic i can't wait for CA to issue me a ccw . . . . wonder what the reciprocity would be with other states