Martin Shkreli bound for jail after judge revokes his $5M bail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Devil%2BDoll%2Bcage.jpg

"I do not wish to remain in jail. Please let me out of jail."

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
But do you even lift bro?

Looks like pharma bro does. :p
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/aff63e37-abae-3852-aa5c-3b67b873dcb7/ss_america's-most-hated-ceo-got.html

"But it turns out, they needn't have worried. Shkreli apparently has turned on the charm--and also reportedly hit the gym.

Shkreli was back in court, where the federal government is trying to get him sentenced to a lengthy prison term, and also convince a judge to make him forfeit $7.3 million in assets.

There was no decision from the judge--he'll be sentenced in March and faces a possible 20 years. But the New York Post reports Shkreli has "bulked up in prison" and is getting along fine.

There are no photos, only courtroom sketches, but at least according to the Post, Shkreli looked a lot harder and stronger under his blue jail uniform.

"He's got his prison muscles, the Post quotes a "source close to the defense" as saying. "They like him in there. ... They don't put their arms around him and say 'Give me your money' like they do to other new prisoners. ... They like him.""

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
"He's got his prison muscles, the Post quotes a "source close to the defense" as saying. "They like him in there. ... They don't put their arms around him and say 'Give me your money' like they do to other new prisoners. ... They like him.""

He isn't a dumb guy, he probably started blowing the biggest guy in there the day he arrived.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
What an asshat.

He is and I'll admit to not knowing a whole lot about the situation, but being a capitalist is illegal now? He's on the next episode of American Greed, can't wait to see it.

How did he come up with enough money to buy said drugs he raise 5000% in price?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I detest this fucker, but I don't believe detestable people should be jailed longer than anyone else. His crime was not really that bad and the sentence should reflect that. The fact that he's a revolting piece of shit is irrelevant.

If you don't like that he jacked the prices of drugs by 5,000%, reform the industry.

Reactions: Victorian Gray
Feb 4, 2009
I detest this fucker, but I don't believe detestable people should be jailed longer than anyone else. His crime was not really that bad and the sentence should reflect that. The fact that he's a revolting piece of shit is irrelevant.

If you don't like that he jacked the prices of drugs by 5,000%, reform the industry.

It’s about insider trading (essentially) and blatantly disobeying & challenging a Judge.
If jail was good enough for Martha Stewart, jail plus more is good enough for this guy.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
It’s about insider trading (essentially)

No it wasn't. He took money from a successful venture (and the investors it belonged to) and gave it to investors of an earlier failed venture. The successful venture made enough money that those investors didn't lose anything.

Is that right? No. Should it be illegal? Absolutely. Should somebody be locked up 10 years for it? No way.

and blatantly disobeying & challenging a Judge.
If jail was good enough for Martha Stewart, jail plus more is good enough for this guy.

Means nothing to me.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No it wasn't. He took money from a successful venture (and the investors it belonged to) and gave it to investors of an earlier failed venture. The successful venture made enough money that those investors didn't lose anything.

Is that right? No. Should it be illegal? Absolutely. Should somebody be locked up 10 years for it? No way.

According to the court Shkreli is responsible for more than $10 million in losses. 1 year per million dollars you cost people sounds more than fair to me.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...0-4-million-in-losses-u-s-judge-idUSKCN1GA2DB

Matsumoto said in Monday’s order that under federal law, all of the money that investors put in Shkreli’s funds as a result of his fraud, about $6.4 million, must be considered loss. She also said he should get no credit for paying investors back because he only did so after they became suspicious.

The judge said that Shkreli should be held responsible for about $4 million in intended loss to investors for trying to prop up the price of Retrophin shares by trying to stop a group of investors from selling them, even though he was not fully successful.

Eventually paying people back after they become suspicious that you are defrauding them is no defense at all.

Means nothing to me.

It should. If people don't have to obey the courts then we're all screwed.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Martin Shkreli got socked into jail Wednesday when a federal judge delivered a poetic punchline to the Pharma Bro's own Hillary Clinton jokes.
Brooklyn Federal Judge Kiyo Matsumoto revoked Shkreli's $5 million bail Wednesday evening, saying Shkreli's $5,000 bounty on Clinton's hair was the final straw.

Martin Shkreli, former pharmaceuticals company CEO who was once known as “the most hated man in America”, has had his bail revoked after provocative online antics and is going to jail in New York while he awaits sentencing for securities fraud.
I'm surprised Fox News didn't package this as "Tax paying businessman who gets meds to the sick imprisoned for six months for speaking out against Hillary Clinton".

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I am guessing sex toy. I mean look at his photo, that is one tasty morsel.\

Seriously though, he will be in a minimum security facility, Rape is probably less common there,

IDK, he has the most punchable face outside of Ted Cruz and Richard Spencer.

Martin needs one of these:

DWzi3IXUQAA5TF9.jpg

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

I think he should be jailed at least as long as other non-violent criminals convicted of things like possession of drugs. Obviously you'd have to base the amount of drugs on the amount of money he illegally scammed. If we did it that way he would run into federal mandatory minimum and depending on the drug we chose he could get life. Regardless he would get a very lengthy sentence, the difference is that he did actually hurt people albeit not violently.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

So wait, he took his own profits to pay off people from a failed venture?