Martha Stewart Verdict is in: Guilty on all counts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LandRover

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
Originally posted by: chess9
That woman is an awful human being, but for the amount of money involved it seemed like a lot of legal firepower going to waste. I'd rather seen a mobster or Enron exec get hanged than Stewart. But, it'll send a message to the wild eyed thieves who populate Wall Street and the corporate offices of America.

I doubt she'll get more than 18 months. It will change her life and her attitude that's for sure.

Her ex-husband must be chuckling big time. :)

-Robert

Awful human being? Do you know her personally or are you just going by that bad movie with Cybill Shepherd in it?
rolleye.gif

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
they kicked her out here from Westport Connecticut because is a terrible woman....I hope she bites the dust...

BugsBunny1078

Banned
Jan 11, 2004
Martha isn't losing money on her stocks. She got one of the jurors to give her a heads up on the verdict and she dumped all her stock right before the jury came back while it was at a high price. Martha made about 200 million$ off of this whole trial.

hehe jk wouldn't surprise me though.

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
it will be interesting to see her do her show from a prison cell. coming for todays show, creative ways to put your dainties on the prison bars

LandRover

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
Originally posted by: colonel
they kicked her out here from Westport Connecticut because is a terrible woman....I hope she bites the dust...

And here this was your six hundred and sixty sixth posting... :p

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

She is facing many years in prison.
Good, I hope all Corrupt Corp Bastages go to Jail and join her. Make them Co-ed and she'll have lots of Male Company.

Right or wrong, don't be so quick about wishing prison time on others Dave...

After about two years of facing the prospect of years in prison and more than $400,000 in fines and restitution ... an offer by the state of Georgia that will bring his legal nightmare to an end.

:beer::D

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperTool
What a joke. There are crooks who cheated investors for billions who are free now, and the feds are going after Martha over 40K?
The prosecutors are publicity whores who want to look like they are doing something without actually doing anything.
Schilling is up next, after they get him they will go after Lay if they can gather enough testimony. Nearly all the crooks from the "Enrons" will be convicted. The SEC is slow and methodical about convictions but they will be absolutely ruthless. Martha was an easy conviction, lots of evidence and people willing to testify (including her friends) so she went down first. They had to plea bargin the CFO of Enron to get the evidence they need to get Schilling and after they have him (he was the brain behind the enron scandal, Lay got handed Schillings mess) they will probably try to get lay and the other executives.

As I said, the SEC will pursue for years until they get everyone. There are two agencies with law enforcement privlidges that you cannot get away from, the IRS and the SEC.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: rahvin
What a joke. There are crooks who cheated investors for billions who are free now, and the feds are going after Martha over 40K?
The prosecutors are publicity whores who want to look like they are doing something without actually doing anything.
Schilling is up next, after they get him they will go after Lay if they can gather enough testimony. Nearly all the crooks from the "Enrons" will be convicted. The SEC is slow and methodical about convictions but they will be absolutely ruthless. Martha was an easy conviction, lots of evidence and people willing to testify (including her friends) so she went down first. They had to plea bargin the CFO of Enron to get the evidence they need to get Schilling and after they have him (he was the brain behind the enron scandal, Lay got handed Schillings mess) they will probably try to get lay and the other executives.

As I said, the SEC will pursue for years until they get everyone. There are two agencies with law enforcement privlidges that you cannot get away from, the IRS and the SEC.

How about all the crooks who cheat on paying corporate taxes? Are they going to go after them?

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
hearing this made my day complete. i now feel whole [for a while anyway]

now, in order for my life to be complete, martha needs to be sodomized by angry lesbians.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
SuperTool - They're going after corporate tax (and personal tax scams) with everything they have. KPMG is in serious trouble and PWC got wacked as well. The whole credit card against a foreign bank scam has been exposed and the people that used it are being taken down.

One by one they're arresting and charging the leaders in the "Enrons" that broke the law. The cases are complicated and the government is facing very good legal defense teams, so they have to be very sure before they act.

Martha looked very guilty to me based on the evidence I saw reported. I'm glad they got her.

The scandals and Sarbanes-Oxely have had a great effect on me (I sign my companies SEC filings), so I'm more than pleased they're getting the SoB's that have made my life much more difficult (for no good reason in my case).

Michael

LandRover

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Genesys

now, in order for my life to be complete, martha needs to be sodomized by angry lesbians.

Yeah, and you should be thrown to a pack of wolves simply for being an idiot.:|

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: gsaldivar

She is facing many years in prison.
Good, I hope all Corrupt Corp Bastages go to Jail and join her. Make them Co-ed and she'll have lots of Male Company.

Right or wrong, don't be so quick about wishing prison time on others Dave...

After about two years of facing the prospect of years in prison and more than $400,000 in fines and restitution ... an offer by the state of Georgia that will bring his legal nightmare to an end.

:beer::D

Not the same, not even in same ballpark.

Try saying there is no difference between something that did not involve a dime Vs a Multi-Millioniare frauding.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Michael
SuperTool - They're going after corporate tax (and personal tax scams) with everything they have. KPMG is in serious trouble and PWC got wacked as well. The whole credit card against a foreign bank scam has been exposed and the people that used it are being taken down.

One by one they're arresting and charging the leaders in the "Enrons" that broke the law. The cases are complicated and the government is facing very good legal defense teams, so they have to be very sure before they act.

Martha looked very guilty to me based on the evidence I saw reported. I'm glad they got her.

The scandals and Sarbanes-Oxely have had a great effect on me (I sign my companies SEC filings), so I'm more than pleased they're getting the SoB's that have made my life much more difficult (for no good reason in my case).

Michael

The planets must be aligned gsaldivar, Michael agrees with me on a Poiltical issue, that never happens.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Yes, may be a joke because she is such a little fish. But it's about time they start somewhere, she will be the bait fish for future bigger fish. The Al Capone of the 21st Century if you will. History needs to repeat itself because we are stupid people.

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: LandRover
Originally posted by: chess9
That woman is an awful human being, but for the amount of money involved it seemed like a lot of legal firepower going to waste. I'd rather seen a mobster or Enron exec get hanged than Stewart. But, it'll send a message to the wild eyed thieves who populate Wall Street and the corporate offices of America.

I doubt she'll get more than 18 months. It will change her life and her attitude that's for sure.

Her ex-husband must be chuckling big time. :)

-Robert

Awful human being? Do you know her personally or are you just going by that bad movie with Cybill Shepherd in it?
rolleye.gif

My mother works in Westport, and she knows people that know Martha personally and they all say she is a pretty bad person (rude, obnoxious), etc. Basically, she was not very well liked at all.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Actually the title is misleading...

She was only found guilty of conspiracy, making false statements and obstruction of justice.

The one thing that mose people here are thinking that she was guilty of insider trading is false. That charge was thown out last week.

The other thing you really have to consider is the amount of stock that she sold appox. $40,000 worth of stock.

It is truly a sad day when people here are cheering about $40,000 when it cost the tax payers way more than that, but people at enron ,tyco, worldcom, etc..

are easily guilty of the same thing as martha is at 10+ times the rate what she did but nothing is happening to them.

On a side note i do not like martha at all and i agree with any one who says she is a b!tch.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Dave,

This is a clear case of right and wrong with the person accused having their day in court to explain themselves.

If you do not police your companies and your securities markets, you destroy confidence over time which decreases investment. That is bad for job creation and bad for the future and I have 2 young daughters.

This is not a political question in my mind.

Michael

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Yes, may be a joke because she is such a little fish. But it's about time they start somewhere, she will be the bait fish for future bigger fish. The Al Capone of the 21st Century if you will. History needs to repeat itself because we are stupid people.

I am affraid they'll use her as a skapegoat and that will be that. SEC is not doing jack, unless Elliot Spitzer embarasses them into doing something. I hope Kerry wins and makes Spitzer the AG. Then watch the crooks squirm.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

I am affraid they'll use her as a skapegoat and that will be that. SEC is not doing jack, unless Elliot Spitzer embarasses them into doing something. I hope Kerry wins and makes Spitzer the AG. Then watch the crooks squirm.

I hope that is not the case that she becomes a useless one time example. That would be a waste and a crime in itself and further proof of failure of what is supposed to be a "Justice" system. Would be further proof of it being a buddy system and apparently Martha has pissed off so many people she was unsavable.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
All Martha Stewart shows getting pulled off the air.

It started with Martha Stewart Living in New York and other stations are now pulling anything Martha related:

3-6-2004 N.Y. Affiliate Pulls Martha Stewart Show

NEW YORK - Martha Stewart's syndicated television show, "Martha Stewart Living," is being pulled from CBS's New York affiliate following the domestic maven's stock conviction

WCBS will pull the plug on the show as of Monday and other CBS stations may follow suit, The New York Times and the New York Post reported in Saturday editions.

The show, which had fallen in the ratings, previously aired on WCBS at 2:05 a.m. On Thursday, Stewart was nominated for a Daytime Emmy in the best host category for "Martha Stewart Living."

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: LandRover
Originally posted by: Genesys

Yeah, and you should be thrown to a pack of wolves simply for being an idiot.:|

lol, and youre an idealist fool. name slinging doesnt get us anywhere, so stop while youre ahead.

i could make the 'you dont know me...!' statement, but thats foolish and doesnt really stand for anything, so i wont.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Is it true that the only things she was found guilty of, was lying to Federal investigators while she was not under oath ?

Not for any action she took, but just what she said to investigators..

If it's true, it's pretty scary. She wasn't convicted of having commited a crime, but of lying about something that was determined not to be a crime.