Married people... how is your money handled?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
We have separate accounts, but only because we've never gotten around to combining them. We consider it all "our" money, not my money and her money.

When we got married we already had our own bank accounts tied to our credit cards for the purpose of online bill pay, and it was just easier to continue that way. I made her an authorized user on several of my credit cards to take advantage of cash back rewards, so pretty much all of our purchases are paid out of my account. She pays the bills (utilities), because she lived here before me. It is the way it is because we've never changed it, but like I said it's all OUR money.

phoenix79

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2000
We each have a separate account and we have a joint account. Day to day stuff is paid out of individual accounts but bills, etc. come out of the joint

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Joint, all the $$ goes into the same account which all our bills are paid from. All the credit cards are in both of our names.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
Joint, all the $$ goes into the same account which all our bills are paid from. All the credit cards are in both of our names.

This is what we plan on doing. We aren't getting married for a couple months but combined our accounts yesterday.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
I get an allowance. All monies go to her to manage. Married 37 years and never fight about money.

Shame

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2001
This thread always seems to be followed up with another thread a few years later with the title, "Wife/husband left with my best friend and drained the bank account / What do I do?" Usually topped off with a frown emoticon...

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: TeeJay1952
I get an allowance. All monies go to her to manage. Married 37 years and never fight about money.

We have a variation of this. We both get a set amount for gas/food/fun per week.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

smart man!!!^^^^^

We have one joint account, but we each have a monthly miscellaneous fund from which we can spend without reporting back to the other.

If I want a new TV - I save my miscellaneous fund until I can afford it.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001

I also went into marriage assuming that we'd merge all of our accounts together. Because my mother was the "banker" in our family, I assumed my wife would be too.

It didn't take very long for me to realize, however, that she was the "spender" while I was the "saver". I had to set up separate accounts so I could shelter at least some of our funds.

She uses our joint accounts to pay for medical and clothes for herself and the children (and some food and her "mad money"), while I pay for everything else out of a separate account.

She spends everything that gets deposited in the joint checking account, and would regularly bounce checks if it weren't "protected" by VISA card. I save money for the "big ticket" items (like vacations, college for the kids, retirement).

She's prone to invest in "get rich quick" schemes. I'm a more patient investor.

My point in telling you all this is that the best arrangement for your finances depends on the personalities of the two people involved. I'm sure it's really nice when husband and wife both use similar thought processes when making savings and spending decisions (therefore arriving at decisions that are acceptable to their spouses), but that's not always the case.

Couples need to take stock of the strenghs and weaknesses of each person. It may turn out that it's better (or even necessary) to let one person take overall charge of the finances. Pay attention to your finances; catch problems (like credit card debt) before they grow too large.

I'll also say that a marriage in which the two people continue working (and therefore don't have to change the spending/savings habits they had before marriage) are the "best case" scenarios. It becomes much more difficult if you drop back to a single-income family to raise children.

Good luck.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

There you go. What's her's is her's and what's mine is her's. Makes things easier! :D

Oh, and joint accounts.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Joint account... I manage all the money and she gets an allowance for her own spending and all the other household stuff she's responsible for buying...

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I voted Joint account because our main account used for paychecks and bills is joint. We both maintain a smaller checking account at other banks though..

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
pre marital assets are separate and singly owned. all money incoming and saved now is jointly owned and comingled.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Married 17 years, 351 days. Joint accounts. She takes care of the bills/mail. We rarely argue over money, and usually those arguments are petty arguments over her lack of logic when it comes to finances. (i.e. thousands of dollars in a savings account at the same bank as our checking account; one debit card covers both accounts, but she keeps the checking account balance quite low, resulting in the occasional overdraft protection fee :| when we end up spending more than planned and she forgets to transfer money from one account to the other.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Jumpem
Interesting that alot of you have a joint, and also separate accounts.

You need separate account for mistress and fun money.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Oceandevi

We have a variation of this. We both get a set amount for gas/food/fun per week.

Same. Its better if she handles the money. I have a tendency to overspend.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Naustica
You need separate account for mistress and fun money.

I just changed my direct deposit to go to our joint (formerly her) account. When that goes through I am closing mine.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Married 17 years, 351 days. Joint accounts. She takes care of the bills/mail. We rarely argue over money, and usually those arguments are petty arguments over her lack of logic when it comes to finances. (i.e. thousands of dollars in a savings account at the same bank as our checking account; one debit card covers both accounts, but she keeps the checking account balance quite low, resulting in the occasional overdraft protection fee :| when we end up spending more than planned and she forgets to transfer money from one account to the other.

Have you considered setting up overdraft protection between the two accounts?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

hahahah same.

i get a allowance to waste (though so does she). everything else goes to bills (which seh pays) and saveings.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Sounds like he already has overdraft protection. ("resulting in the occasional overdraft protection fee")

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Sounds like he already has overdraft protection. ("resulting in the occasional overdraft protection fee")

Yep, I was thinking NSF instead of OP.