Marriage or rape? 90-year-old Saudi weds 15-year-old girl

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i wish it worked this way. you would see a lot more teenage guys work hard and save up enough money for at least something...

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
A 90 year old Saudi man has married a 15 year old girl after paying a dowry of $17,500 to her parents. On the first night she locked herself into the room since she was scared of him. The man is now demanding the girl be returned or the money should be given back to him

This is just disgusting, how can any of these morons think is acceptable?

The man should be arrested along with the parents and the girl should be able to keep the money to teach him a lesson. As well people need to take a stand against these marriages since they are happening in many Islamist countries but too many people dont have the guts to speak out.

Do you agree that the man and the girls parents should go to jail over this and the girl should be able to keep the money?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20936800

If its legal in that country then its fine. Those creatures are all brain dead zombies to their useless religon anyway. Who cares if they want to fuck themselves even more?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
That is only partially true....People go against the grain all the time.

i agree, partially true. in this specific case, if the girl is old enough to be married then i think she is old enough to decide who. amazing though how different america and certain asian areas view women. completely opposite. i think i need to move

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I wonder what the OP thinks of a 14 year old girl that had been married off at 13, then impregnated by someone other than the husband....

That kid she bore went off to be a real trouble maker....

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
If its legal in that country then its fine. Those creatures are all brain dead zombies to their useless religon anyway. Who cares if they want to fuck themselves even more?

The girl was forced and didn't have a choice but I agree about them being brain dead zombies

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
These early January / late December romances warm the cockles of my heart. No doubt they'll have many happy weeks together.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
It's the ME - stuff like this happens every day over there, the only reason this made headlines was because of the guy's age. Had this been a 24 year old man, and the same 15 year old woman, then it wouldn't have even made the front page.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
It's literally slavery.

Exactly. Anyone with morality should care. Just because it's a different place and a different culture doesn't mean it isn't wrong. The world will remain divided, they'll hate us we'll hate them until we can learn to care about all human beings, not just the ones who live in our country.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
It's the ME - stuff like this happens every day over there, the only reason this made headlines was because of the guy's age. Had this been a 24 year old man, and the same 15 year old woman, then it wouldn't have even made the front page.

Even if it had been a 40 year old man and a 15 year old woman it wouldn't have made the front page.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
What I object to in this thread is the stinking prejudicial issue that only those of the Islamic religions engage in those kinds of practices. When world wide the more common practice was to value only males and regard surplus female children as only trading cards.

If we look at European royalty during the middle ages, it was common to marry off female offspring even before the age of 10. For the simple reason it promoted family alliances. As those common values were more the rule and not the exception but the rule in most countries across the world. From Asia, to India, to Israel and even the Americas in 1776. And even more common with the poor classes than the economically advantaged. Simply because males offspring were valued. As the strategy for the poor family was to have as many children as possible, in the hopes one or more of their children could make it economically and thus be able to afford to take care of them in their old age in farming societies.

Then other factors operated, as fathers were reluctant to emaciate their semi-adult sons as they were finally able to productive supporting the family farms but wanted to get rid of their female offspring as soon as possible. As the other factor was, only the eldest son would inherit the family farm.

Then there was that other factor, because in 1776 America the average age at death was for a male was 35 and the age of consent for a female was as low as 10. As there is another factor here, crudely put as old enough to breed is old enough to breed. But the average age of female on set of puberty was higher than its now, mainly due to worse nutrition in the past, that too is a offsetting factor. But still older and stronger males who could attract a females tended to choose young females, extract as many children as possible out of their brides, and when the younger bride soon died of overwork and childbirth, rinse and repeat with another surplus female. As both Abe Lincoln and Mary Lincoln had that in common.

Far from endorsing that sad early marriage concept, its still all too common in the third world nations be they Islamist or what ever,

I remember watching a "Who's the Boss" episode ("Tony the Nanny" #34) when I was a kid and one of Tony's cousins from Italy was getting an arranged marriage. I grew up thinking that's how things worked in Italy still.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Girls from middle east are not allowed to date but guys are, I know weird.

Weird doesn't even begin to describe it..... So are the guys only allowed to date other guys or something? I thought that was a big no no in that part of the world.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The girl was forced and didn't have a choice but I agree about them being brain dead zombies

They are just following the word of the Lord. I never thought that you of all people would be all this pissed because someone is following the bible to well...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
No guys don't date other guys lol I'm talking about the ones living in the US they are allowed to date women as probably their parents have lived in this culture long enough. Technically speaking, in middle east dating is not allowed for either women or man but you can go to the more modernized cities and you see it.

Apr 27, 2012
They are just following the word of the Lord. I never thought that you of all people would be all this pissed because someone is following the bible to well...

They weren't Christians but Muslim. When have I ever said the Bible should be followed, Check my posts and I NEVER mentioned the Bible being followed

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
It's literally slavery.

1. You racist!
2. All cultures need to be respected equally!
3. Why should we care it's their problem!

I'm sure if the Mayans are still around ripping hearts out from people and eat it there will be a morally bankrupt horde defending them from evil Western Imperialists (tm). Not sure if they actually did that, but my point still stands.