Marriage or rape? 90-year-old Saudi weds 15-year-old girl

Apr 27, 2012
A 90 year old Saudi man has married a 15 year old girl after paying a dowry of $17,500 to her parents. On the first night she locked herself into the room since she was scared of him. The man is now demanding the girl be returned or the money should be given back to him

This is just disgusting, how can any of these morons think is acceptable?

The man should be arrested along with the parents and the girl should be able to keep the money to teach him a lesson. As well people need to take a stand against these marriages since they are happening in many Islamist countries but too many people dont have the guts to speak out.

Do you agree that the man and the girls parents should go to jail over this and the girl should be able to keep the money?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20936800

Last edited:

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
If she didn't consent, her parents should be murdered for selling her as a prostitute.

If she did consent, then, well, it's marriage.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
In those countries, that is how marriage is done. While not exactly like this now a days, a dowry is payed and the woman goes with the husband. Most arranged marriages today focus more on education of the bride or groom, family wealth, so on.

But that young at 15 that should not be aloud. That guy should be thrown in jail.

Feb 10, 2000
Its legal in their country, nothing to see here, move along.

Assuming it's even true - he has not posted a link. In any case . . .

keep-calm-and-don-t-feed-the-trolls.png

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Shit, I've got 17,500 dollars.

Yeah I have many middle eastern friends who have to pay money to get the arranged marriage. One particularly is not happy as the woman's family also asked for a house too. So that never went through. I would never do that, they become gold diggers.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
How many drugs\pumps does this guy need to get his parts working to even attempt this sick act?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
In America we see no issue with allowing 15 year old girls to be mothers.

If someone is old enough to be a mother it is pretty hard to argue they are not old enough to be a wife.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
In those countries, that is how marriage is done. While not exactly like this now a days, a dowry is payed and the woman goes with the husband. Most arranged marriages today focus more on education of the bride or groom, family wealth, so on.

But that young at 15 that should not be aloud. That guy should be thrown in jail.

So you're OK with it if it's done quietly? :colbert:

I thought the bride's family paid the dowry.

Apr 27, 2012
So you're OK with it if it's done quietly? :colbert:

I thought the bride's family paid the dowry.

It depends, sometimes the bride and sometimes the groom although I believe most civilized people dont do that anymore and its based more on education/respect/"status"

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Everything about Saudi culture and values is repulsive. Unfortunately there's also nothing we could do about it so there's no point in getting upset. In theory I love the idea of invading Saudi Arabia, executing all of their clerics and the entire royal family and dragging the whole society kicking and screaming into the 21st century. In reality I know that would never work and there's no sense getting upset about fucked up things that are beyond our control.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
A 90 year old Saudi man has married a 15 year old girl after paying a dowry of $17,500 to her parents. On the first night she locked herself into the room since she was scared of him. The man is now demanding the girl be returned or the money should be given back to him

This is just disgusting, how can any of these morons think is acceptable?

The man should be arrested along with the parents and the girl should be able to keep the money to teach him a lesson. As well people need to take a stand against these marriages since they are happening in many Islamist countries but too many people dont have the guts to speak out.

Do you agree that the man and the girls parents should go to jail over this and the girl should be able to keep the money?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20936800

I am pretty sure that its a perfectly legal action in his country so no he shouldn't go to jail if he broke no law.

A better question would have been SHOULD it be legal and obviously most of us would say no.

As a side note, the bible that you believe in says the man should get his money back. How about that?

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Its a difference in opinion.

You may be the sort of moral midget who thinks that there are no absolutes of right and wrong and that it's all relative, however some of us recognize that forcing 90 year old men on 15 year old girls is disgusting and immoral regardless of the culture or circumstances.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Everything about Saudi culture and values is repulsive. Unfortunately there's also nothing we could do about it so there's no point in getting upset. In theory I love the idea of invading Saudi Arabia, executing all of their clerics and the entire royal family and dragging the whole society kicking and screaming into the 21st century. In reality I know that would never work and there's no sense getting upset about fucked up things that are beyond our control.

Yeah, and besides it would probably be good to drag our own marriage laws kicking and screaming into the 21st century.