MARRIAGE = GAMBLE?

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Of course its a gamble. Unless you someone own the person you're marrying.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
are you serious asking us Here at OT LoL
rolleye.gif

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
It's not a gamble if you truly know the person and you truly love the person. Yes, it's still a risk but you will find out if she/he is the right one for you.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Marriage = Work, those who don't work their marriage always end up in divorce court.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
marriage is (or was) an institution. I don't think it was consider a gameble before.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
a good friend once told me that the greatest decision you'll ever make in life is who you end up marrying.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
A 50% divorce rate only tells a small part of the story. Factor in those who can't get divorced due to religious reasons, those who don't get divorced because of the kids, those who don't get divorced due to economics, those who simply decide to shun their partners and cheat because it's more convenient and those who might remain technically married as a sham to keep insurance benefits and now do the math. The percentage of marriages that turnout badly is closer to 80% than it is to 50%. Hell, the infidelity rate alone is close to 70%.

Marriage is a piece of paper, period. It's a legal arrangement that has nothing to do with love or lifetime commitment. It essentially stipulates who has what rights when the union ends. If your word is good, you can commit to a person without a piece of paper. If your word isn't good, no marriage vows will change that or prevent the divorce.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Quixfire
Marriage = Work, those who don't work their marriage always end up in divorce court.

I used to subscribe to this line of reasoning until my wife didn't put anything into our marriage which happily ended in divorce.

Now I believe if to people are well matched and understand who it is they are with, that a marriage shouldn't require much work. In fact, the team should be greater than the individual and when it requires a great amount of "work" to keep the team functioning, it is not worth being a team anymore.

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
Originally posted by: dirtboy
Originally posted by: Quixfire

I used to subscribe to this line of reasoning until my wife didn't put anything into our marriage which happily ended in divorce.

Now I believe if to people are well matched and understand who it is they are with, that a marriage shouldn't require much work. In fact, the team should be greater than the individual and when it requires a great amount of "work" to keep the team functioning, it is not worth being a team anymore.

that line still rings true though to even what you just said.. your wife didnt put work into the marriage.. it takes 2... I also think though that if it cost double the cost of a wedding to divorce someone maybe ppl would think twice before they married someone they werent totally sure they wanted to be with or married as a joke (britney spears). Shame on her for making a mockery out of marriage vows.

Ninjja

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: maziwanka
a good friend once told me that the greatest decision you'll ever make in life is who you end up marrying.

wow.

save me.

hahahaha =)

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Marriage is like a late night phonecall..... You get a ring and then you wake up!

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I didn't believe it when my parents told me to look @ my prospective in-laws to see what to expect from thier daughter.

It was one of the truest things they ever told me.

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Please let me know what major choice you make in life is guaranteed?

~wnied~

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
The reason why most marriages fail is everyone is so quick to jump into them and not be honest about their true feelings.

They equate sex with love and that once you find someone willing to drop their pants/lift their skirt for you they think there is no one else in the world like that.

Many have nothing more in common than they both speak the same language. They put artificial qualifiers on things that make them a more solid couple like 'we both like orange popsicles'.

And worse yet those that think a marriage will solve all their problems, give them a house, a nice car and a happily ever after type life just by saying 'I do'.

In that case then yeah it's a gamble. They did a couple tests based on matching 2 people on common interests and they agreed to marry based on the 'lab' findings.

The result was the same ratio of divorce as couples spending years together prior.

Å

rbhawcroft

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
A 50% divorce rate only tells a small part of the story. Factor in those who can't get divorced due to religious reasons, those who don't get divorced because of the kids, those who don't get divorced due to economics, those who simply decide to shun their partners and cheat because it's more convenient and those who might remain technically married as a sham to keep insurance benefits and now do the math. The percentage of marriages that turnout badly is closer to 80% than it is to 50%. Hell, the infidelity rate alone is close to 70%.Marriage is a piece of paper, period. It's a legal arrangement that has nothing to do with love or lifetime commitment. It essentially stipulates who has what rights when the union ends. If your word is good, you can commit to a person without a piece of paper. If your word isn't good, no marriage vows will change that or prevent the divorce.

cool. except if chances dont come round too often you take what you get offerered ehh?