Marines Set to Ban Sir and Maam...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Was Ted a draft dodger while he was fucking all those teenage girls at his shows back in the 70s?!?!

o_Oo_Oo_O
He has a fucking song about it.
Full disclosure I still enjoy a few Nugent songs. This is one of them.
I simply try to ignore his dumb fuckery.
Same with Kidd Rock.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
I’m so conflicted about this issue; my early rock heroes were pieces of shit then and now.

Ugh…

Reactions: Pohemi
Feb 4, 2009
Same here with Van Morrison and Eric Clapton (and by extension Cream)
I’m not a Van Morrison guy, I am sort of a Clapton guy but just a little bit. I can’t get over his dumb fuckery however I don’t find it odd you can set it aside.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I’m not a Van Morrison guy, I am sort of a Clapton guy but just a little bit. I can’t get over his dumb fuckery however I don’t find it odd you can set it aside.
John Cleese loved Brexit, but at least he despised Trump.

Going further afield, Ezra Pound was a brilliant poet who took the huge lump of T.S Eliot's words and literally fashioned "The Waste Land" out it. "April is the cruelest month . . ." Yet he was a rabid anti-semite who, all during WWII, broadcast radio propaganda in support of Mussolini.

Louis Ferdinand Celine was a world class anti-semite, yet in the 30's wrote the brilliantly innovative "Journey to the End of the Night" and "Death on the Installment Plan."

Go figure. For me, their work stands on its own, apart from their socio-political ignorance. YMMV.

Feb 4, 2009

Going further afield, Ezra Pound was a brilliant poet who took the huge lump of T.S Eliot's words and literally fashioned "The Waste Land" out it. "April is the cruelest month . . ." Yet he was a rabid anti-semite who, all during WWII, broadcast radio propaganda in support of Mussolini.

Louis Ferdinand Celine was a world class anti-semite, yet in the 30's wrote the brilliantly innovative "Journey to the End of the Night" and "Death on the Installment Plan."

Go figure. For me, their work stands on its own, apart from their socio-political ignorance. YMMV.
None of those equal the genius of Ted Nugent’s Little Miss Danger-Ass….

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

So sad, really.

Also, word is that Roger Waters is a bit of a Tankie.

Reactions: iRONic and Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Same here with Van Morrison and Eric Clapton (and by extension Cream)
So sad, really.

Also, word is that Roger Waters is a bit of a Tankie.
That's what I was going to say...even more disappointing to me than Clapton being a racist POS...was reading about Roger Waters taking Pootie's side over the war in Ukraine. I was almost shocked, tbh...but definitely saddened. I would have guessed or hoped that he was a better human being.

Reactions: iRONic
Feb 4, 2009
Yeah...that's fckn stupid. I mean...having some of the female Marines, I get it, but just use "Sir" regardless of gender.
Update:
My favorite deplorable seemed to have no issue with this proposed change. He said something like “that’s how it should work”.
He does have a soft spot for women’s athletics and the pay/respect women get for them so it sort of makes sense.

Reactions: ch33zw1z and Pohemi

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Never meet your heroes... I try to separate the art from the artist and usually purposefully avoid digging too deep about their personal beliefs.

As for the sir and ma'am thing, as a southerner that's kind of a core part of my interaction with people, but I've been able to curb it pretty easily to prevent misgendering people. I'd personally just go with 'sir' for everyone in the service, but rank isn't a problem except in the Navy.

"Yes Chief Petty Engineer Boatswain's Mate Fourteenth Class Anderson!"

Reactions: iRONic

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
This is something I struggle to have an opinion on, I cant imagine being invested to a point where I’d resist it because reasons. For the vast majority of people I think it should be a “ok” and carry on. Or do you suggest I let JP drag me into the culture wars? Drag me down to his level where he’d beat me with experience?

(here we dont have 'maam', "sir" fits all).

-OMG you kinda just summed up my entire culture war philosophy into three tidy sentences.

My FIL was going off about my son's 1st grade teacher reading about a boy in a dress (the lesson is to treat others with respect even if they're different) and all the fucks I could give barely mustered an "ok" at my FIL's protestations.

Reactions: cytg111

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
That's what I was going to say...even more disappointing to me than Clapton being a racist POS...was reading about Roger Waters taking Pootie's side over the war in Ukraine. I was almost shocked, tbh...but definitely saddened. I would have guessed or hoped that he was a better human being.

So many on that list...Mo Tucker as Tea Party supporter then Trumpist. Morrissey...not even sure where to begin with him.

Funny symmetry with John Cleese what with the way Life Of Brian got attacked by Malcolm Muggeridge (who was part of the anti- team on that famous TV debate).

Muggeridge himself had started as some sort of communist-sympathising iconoclast before turning into a conservative Christian, outraged about the Pythons' blasphemy...now Cleese is an old reactionary complaining about immigration and 'cancel culture'.

Reactions: Pohemi

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Waters has always been that way, though. It is a bit strange that he would clearly side with a fascist that he knows is a murderous fascist, but this is where his unquestioning fealty to "end ALL the warmongers at ALL costs" takes him.

Also, it's important to remember that most of our musician heroes are actually really stupid people with stupid, uneducated ideas, even those that generally read, like Waters.

Brian May is probably the only exception, lol.