Marijuana lowers IQ permanently study says

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Honestly, I believe it. We didn't refer to our over-zealous refer buddies as burnt because they were writing doctoral thesis.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
why are you on the defend alcohol soapbox?? your post are just plain ignorance. Alcohol is a poison to the body and no you can not OD on pot, also pot gives pain relief to those that are intolerant to opiates.

You must be mistaking my posts if you think Im defending alcohol. My point is I am making a statement in that Marijuana isnt this MAGIC drug that has no wrong and is better than the rest. Alcohol has many beneficial things with it when used responsibly, and almost 0 bad effects.

All I did was compare to show it wasn't the only drug with "good" effects, so people would stop defending it like its a saint drug and just another chemical with beneficial and possible negative effects (that have not been found as of yet). Yes you can OD on pot. you can OD on anything. The question is how much. As people have stated it is almost impossible because of how much it requires. However, I bet it could be found using artificial means through science.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
You must be mistaking my posts if you think Im defending alcohol. My point is I am making a statement in that Marijuana isnt this MAGIC drug that has no wrong and is better than the rest. Alcohol has many beneficial things with it when used responsibly, and almost 0 bad effects.

All I did was compare to show it wasn't the only drug with "good" effects, so people would stop defending it like its a saint drug and just another chemical with beneficial and possible negative effects (that have not been found as of yet). Yes you can OD on pot. you can OD on anything. The question is how much. As people have stated it is almost impossible because of how much it requires. However, I bet it could be found using artificial means through science.

It's been proven to be scientifically impossible to overdose on marijuana from smoking it. The LD50 is so high (pardon the pun) that a human would have to smoke something like 10 pounds of weed in 15 minutes to reach a level of 'OD'. I'm paraphrasing, but this is long known science. You can't smoke 10 pounds of weed in 15 minutes unless you throw in in a volcano and jump in after it.

The only way to actually OD on marijuana would be to get highly concentrated straight THC through an IV, and at this point, it's hardly even 'marijuana' anymore. It's an extracted, concentrated component of marijuana.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Dopers desperately seeking to deflect from self admitted dope usage and project onto others. :biggrin::biggrin: Hate to burst your bubble.

Gamblers desperately seeking to deflect from self admitted gambling and project onto others.

Unfortunately, I think your bubble is too dense to burst.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
It's been proven to be scientifically impossible to overdose on marijuana from smoking it. The LD50 is so high (pardon the pun) that a human would have to smoke something like 10 pounds of weed in 15 minutes to reach a level of 'OD'. I'm paraphrasing, but this is long known science. You can't smoke 10 pounds of weed in 15 minutes unless you throw in in a volcano and jump in after it.

The only way to actually OD on marijuana would be to get highly concentrated straight THC through an IV, and at this point, it's hardly even 'marijuana' anymore. It's an extracted, concentrated component of marijuana.

Let me say it again...

Challenge Accepted!

but really, I am not saying anyone without the ability to reduce the weed to a form to allow them access that much in 15 minutes. I am saying there is an OD limit. Can it be reached by man? No, but It can be reached through science. As you basically said. That means one can OD on it. Not through normal or even rash means. But through means of injection.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I do have a serious question though.

In my personal observation, most of the dumbest people I met throughout highschool and even college. Were heavy potheads.

Now, is it that stupid people are more attracted to it, or does it cause a slight decline in intelligence.

The study shows that it causes a decline, regardless of whether stupid people are attracted to it.

The study looked at 1000 volunteers. At the beginning of the study, they had an IQ test and a questionnaire about cannabis use, lifestyle, education, etc. Every few years the questionnaire and IQ test were repeated - until these people had been tested for 20 years.

The main study result was a decline in IQ (during the study), for people who were heavy potheads during their teen years, and that the IQ did not recover if the smoking stopped.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Honestly, I believe it. We didn't refer to our over-zealous refer buddies as burnt because they were writing doctoral thesis.

playing yoyo with brain chemistry under the guise of "recreation" is a fools pleasure. If they want to whack them selves in the head with a chemical hammer..let em. Opportunities in life are becoming more limited. Dope reduces the competition.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
The study shows that it causes a decline, regardless of whether stupid people are attracted to it.

The study looked at 1000 volunteers. At the beginning of the study, they had an IQ test and a questionnaire about cannabis use, lifestyle, education, etc. Every few years the questionnaire and IQ test were repeated - until these people had been tested for 20 years.

The main study result was a decline in IQ (during the study), for people who were heavy potheads during their teen years, and that the IQ did not recover if the smoking stopped.

That study is flawwed.

Too many variables involved.

Unless you can put side to side 2 parallel universes and observe both in which everything is the same but a person doing marijuana in one and not in the other, you cannot claim that marijuana had anything to do with it.

It could have been diet, the fact that the simple stuff on an IQ test isn't studied after teen years (A lot of 40+ years olds do bad at IQ tests no marijuana involved.), other things in a persons diet, their concentration changing because of lifestyle. Etc.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
playing yoyo with brain chemistry under the guise of "recreation" is a fools pleasure. If they want to whack them selves in the head with a chemical hammer..let em. Opportunities in life are becoming more limited. Dope reduces the competition.

In developing teens is one thing, but in adults, marijuana isn't really 'yoyo' with brain chemistry. Our brain has THC receptors and it welcomes it. Only in a small negligible fraction of people is there ever even a chemical dependence created, and even then the dependence is negligible itself.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
In developing teens is one thing, but in adults, marijuana isn't really 'yoyo' with brain chemistry. Our brain has THC receptors and it welcomes it. Only in a small negligible fraction of people is there ever even a chemical dependence created, and even then the dependence is negligible itself.

Chemical dependance for marijuana is nothing to worry about. Psycological dependance however can be. Just like anything else we use, if it gives us euphoria, we can become addicted to it.

Whether it is marijuana, alcohol, World of Warcraft, TV shows, Excersice, Sex. Almost anything can have a psycological addiction. (This statement is to clarify that I am not calling marijuana addictive beyond normal human addictions to anything else)

P.S. this comment is me backing you up techboy

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
So heavily smoking Marijuana hurts a developing brain color me shocked. I'm sure Cigarettes would do the same.

I think it is the heavily smoking part is going to be the bad part not the marijuana part.

I'm more surprised that after age 18 than apparently it doesn't or at worst marginally affects you cognitively even with heavy use.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Chemical dependance for marijuana is nothing to worry about. Psycological dependance however can be. Just like anything else we use, if it gives us euphoria, we can become addicted to it.

Whether it is marijuana, alcohol, World of Warcraft, TV shows, Excersice, Sex. Almost anything can have a psycological addiction. (This statement is to clarify that I am not calling marijuana addictive beyond normal human addictions to anything else)

P.S. this comment is me backing you up techboy

Thanks. I was trying to accent the 'chemical' aspect of dependence. If you like the way you feel when you are high, and you become addicted to that, it's not chemical addiction. It's psychological, and as you said, that can happen with anything. Sports, games, any activity, etc.

Even if you do develop a chemical dependence for THC somehow... it's still pale in comparison to something like caffeine.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Thanks. I was trying to accent the 'chemical' aspect of dependence. If you like the way you feel when you are high, and you become addicted to that, it's not chemical addiction. It's psychological, and as you said, that can happen with anything. Sports, games, any activity, etc.

Even if you do develop a chemical dependence for THC somehow... it's still pale in comparison to something like caffeine.

I dont know if I would call caffeine "addictive". Yes, there is actually drawbacks/symptoms if you dont drink it after drinking it a while. But sometimes i go weeks with just water and gatorade, and sometimes not. Like its nothing.

Stuff like cigarettes though that have nicotine which is a chemical dependance chemical is another story.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
That study is flawwed.

Too many variables involved.

Unless you can put side to side 2 parallel universes and observe both in which everything is the same but a person doing marijuana in one and not in the other, you cannot claim that marijuana had anything to do with it.

It could have been diet, the fact that the simple stuff on an IQ test isn't studied after teen years (A lot of 40+ years olds do bad at IQ tests no marijuana involved.), other things in a persons diet, their concentration changing because of lifestyle. Etc.

You can account for those variables because of the control group. The people who didn't initially smoke and never did for the duration of the experiment are your control. The control group would be affected by "random" noise in the study the just as the doper group.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I dont know if I would call caffeine "addictive". Yes, there is actually drawbacks/symptoms if you dont drink it after drinking it a while. But sometimes i go weeks with just water and gatorade, and sometimes not. Like its nothing.

Stuff like cigarettes though that have nicotine which is a chemical dependance chemical is another story.

caffeine is very addictive. not to the levels of nicotine, but there's a huge potential for chemical dependence.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
You can account for those variables because of the control group. The people who didn't initially smoke and never did for the duration of the experiment are your control. The control group would be affected by "random" noise in the study the just as the doper group.

I'd think a gambling addict would see the 'odds' involved with that kind of study and see how many potential holes there are.. but I guess not.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

Terrible study is terrible. Over the course of 20 years there are just too many variables to say "this caused this."

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012

People are different, and do different actions and feel different under different situations.

Doesn't count.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
caffeine is very addictive. not to the levels of nicotine, but there's a huge potential for chemical dependence.

You sure? I don't know much about caffeine as most debates I am in is alcohol and marijuana related. But I don't remember hearing it has a chemical addiction.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Terrible study is terrible. Over the course of 20 years there are just too many variables to say "this caused this."

The mere fact of 20 years going by, pot smoking or otherwise, would affect one's IQ score, too. Fail study is fail.