Marijuana lowers IQ permanently study says

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
One thing that isn't sitting well with me with respect to the article is the way they reference 'declining' IQ.

The information they give seems much more to say that pot smokers' IQ < the rest of the population, but that is not technically a decline.

A decline would be an IQ of 100 at age 18 and an IQ of 92 20 years later. While they did reference that example, it always seems to be in the pot smoker vs population manner, not pot smoker vs themselves.

This has a significant impact on determining causation.

For example, I'd wager money (I'll even give you odds Pokerguy) that WWE watchers have a lower IQ than the rest of the population, and that people who continued to watch it into their adult life had lower average IQ at 38 than the rest of the population. That would not show that watching WWE lowers IQ though.

Please note that I didn't intend to offend fans of Vince McMahon's wildly successful soap opera.

This is an excellent point.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Other studies have shown the effects of marijuana on developing brains.

THis just means that the sale of it would be controlled like cigarettes and alcohol. But this would happen regardless of these types of studies.

That said I would not put this as a bigger concern than teenage drinking.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
my dad and i talked today and he told me flat out "legalize everything. let the stupid people do drugs and die, and we can make tax money and jobs off it. something like 70% of people in jail are for drug crimes most of which there was no harm involved to anyone, and im paying for that."

i just sat there and agreed. first time my dad actually spoke honestly about that stuff with me.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Does it really take 19 pages of posts to figure out that pot honest to god just isnt bad for you. its like if milk was illegal, people would be all against it and it would be a huge taboo, needless to say people would still drink it anyway, there would be countless studies about how bad it is for you and how it destroys your stomach. There are some things that just dont hurt you (in moderation) most natural drugs (cannabis, salvia, mescaline, psilocybin, DMT etc) are perfectly safe, and even man made drugs (LSA, LSD, ketamine) wont hurt you either. Generally the safe doses are much less for man made drugs, compared to natural alternatives.

In case you still believe that the war on drugs is somehow saving lives heres a fun fact:
We should all be in jail right now, we are all producing, using, and transporting Schedule 1 drugs (heroin level, also marijuana level :p ) the highest level. DMT is the drug im referring to, we produce it in our pineal gland and is given to us at birth, death, and sleep. We are all violating federal law right now, so if you believe in the war on drugs then you should go turn yourself in for being a druglord.

Also, all the legal alternatives to pot are fucking terrible for you. If the government gave a shit about people being addicted to somthing, they would make the three most legal and addictive substances (coffee, alcohol, tobacco) illegal. So why do you guys care about my IQ so much? It doesnt affect you at all (assuming that pot even harms people, which it doesnt). Somthing to focus more on would be alcohol.

Last edited: