March 4, Mark your calendars

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
One of the weirdest and frankly more disturbing aspect of this deranged cult behavior around Donald Trump is that these people who engage in this are not young.

They’re parents. They’re grandparents. They have careers. They have experienced and witnessed much significant marks of history before. They’re the people who 10 or 15 years ago would have scolded a child or a grandchild for spending too much time in front of a TV or computer screen. That using Wikipedia for homework is bad because anyone can edit it.

Now they’re the ones who spend all day every day on sad, twisted batshit corners of the internet desperately looking for clues and affirmation of their wishes in the most stupid unhinged ways possible. Seeing people you grew up with and respected when you were younger turn into this is fucked up. I had to watch my now whackadoodle uncle in law defend and make excuses for Trumps 30+ accusations of rape and sexual assault while eating dinner with my teenage nieces. Teenage girls watching their father in his late 50s make excuses for rape because the rapist was part of his cult. I don’t think Trumps followers understand how much damage they’re doing to their own creditability within their families.

The majority of people who swear an oath to or talk about the Constitution do not have the vaguest idea of what it means nowadays. It’s just a bunch of words strung together. They don’t know what’s in it, or it’s history, or why it’s important. Just words. You might as well have them swear an oath to a Stephen King novel, or just have them say “Argle Bargle purple monkey dishwasher” for all the good it does.

Reactions: MtnMan

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
One of the weirdest and frankly more disturbing aspect of this deranged cult behavior around Donald Trump is that these people who engage in this are not young.

They’re parents. They’re grandparents. They have careers. They have experienced and witnessed much significant marks of history before. They’re the people who 10 or 15 years ago would have scolded a child or a grandchild for spending too much time in front of a TV or computer screen. That using Wikipedia for homework is bad because anyone can edit it.

Now they’re the ones who spend all day every day on sad, twisted batshit corners of the internet desperately looking for clues and affirmation of their wishes in the most stupid unhinged ways possible. Seeing people you grew up with and respected when you were younger turn into this is fucked up. I had to watch my now whackadoodle uncle in law defend and make excuses for Trumps 30+ accusations of rape and sexual assault while eating dinner with my teenage nieces. Teenage girls watching their father in his late 50s make excuses for rape because the rapist was part of his cult. I don’t think Trumps followers understand how much damage they’re doing to their own creditability within their families.

The majority of people who swear an oath to or talk about the Constitution do not have the vaguest idea of what it means nowadays. It’s just a bunch of words strung together. They don’t know what’s in it, or it’s history, or why it’s important. Just words. You might as well have them swear an oath to a Stephen King novel, or just have them say “Argle Bargle purple monkey dishwasher” for all the good it does.
How much of this does social media own in this? Without facebook and twitter where these people can so easily "get their fix of utterly stupid shit", and connect instantly with other fucking crazies across the world.

The oath taken when being sworn into office is like software agreements... scroll to the bottom and click "accept".
Most evangelicals treat the bible in the same manner, without any concept of what it actually says.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
How much of this does social media own in this? Without facebook and twitter where these people can so easily "get their fix of utterly stupid shit", and connect instantly with other fucking crazies across the world.

The oath taken when being sworn into office is like software agreements... scroll to the bottom and click "accept".
Most evangelicals treat the bible in the same manner, without any concept of what it actually says.
Actually, very little is due to FAcebook and Twitter. Most of it is due to Fox News, ION news, and newsmax spreading false narratives, lies and conspiracy theories. In my family alone, I have aunts uncles, Mom, Dad, all who don't touch twitter, and are seldom on facebook, but avidly listen to the lies from fox news... And when I call them out on the BS, they tell me I need to stop watching fake news. Trump, and those 3 news outlets have brain washed them into believing the only trusted new sources are those that push Trump's bullshit lies. None of which is due to Facebook/twitter.

Reactions: Heartbreaker

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Actually, very little is due to FAcebook and Twitter. Most of it is due to Fox News, ION news, and newsmax spreading false narratives, lies and conspiracy theories. In my family alone, I have aunts uncles, Mom, Dad, all who don't touch twitter, and are seldom on facebook, but avidly listen to the lies from fox news... And when I call them out on the BS, they tell me I need to stop watching fake news. Trump, and those 3 news outlets have brain washed them into believing the only trusted new sources are those that push Trump's bullshit lies. None of which is due to Facebook/twitter.
But cable news only gets 1-3 million viewers a show. The orange loser reached 90 million Twitter followers. Sure lots are media people, but still plenty of ignorant people willing to listen.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
But cable news only gets 1-3 million viewers a show. The orange loser reached 90 million Twitter followers. Sure lots are media people, but still plenty of ignorant people willing to listen.
Which combined with tritter and facebook produces a trifecta of stupidity, on steroids.

Last edited:

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

I think a lot of it has to do with social media. Some of it is other forces of brainwashing. In reference to my uncle: up until about 8-10 years ago, he was a moderate Republican who always respected the opposition, we could have intelligent, thoughtful discussions about politics. We could have a respectful discussion about abortion, socialized medicine, social safety nets or fiscal responsibility and put forth good faith differences of opinions. Politics never consumed him like it does now. He retired 10 years ago and bought a retirement home in rural South Carolina. He joined the local evangelical church and it was all downhill from there. He now buries himself in his old P45 chipset desktop computer I built him as a retirement present and absorbs all the batshit. He refers to Biden as the "kiddie diddler" and VP Harris as "the whore" or "the skank". He was never a bigot. Has fully embraced qanon, which is among the most toxic and absurd conspiracy theories of all time which this church following has collectively decided to do, like believe the election was stolen through Jewish Space Lasers. We’re not talking about people who disagree on abortion and other party platform differences, we’re talking about people who think that Trump is actually a secret genius mastermind. God’s chosen who sends us secret messages in the form of qanon to fight the satanic democratic blood ritual child sacrificing sex cults. They are racing to see who can be even more detached from reality, who believe that some crank 4chan poster making crazy ass conspiracy theories for the lulz, are actually their secret messages from god that they have to act on.

In my 20s and early to mid 30s I used to self-identify as a centrist conservative who was for free trade, 2a freedoms, but in favor of a robust social safety net for ALL citizens and I used to self-identify as a republican back then, but not anymore. You could restrict your criticism to the party itself, but the root cause of the party’s problems is that too many republican voters now live in an alternate reality. You could literally write a 20,000 words essay on the mass psychological dysfunction that’s gripped the republican base in the last ten years, but it’ll suffice to say sadly that only one party has shirtless Vikings in face paint storming the halls of Congress for lies. Only one party is electing absolute fuckwits like Lauren Boebert, preppie psychopaths like Madison Cawthorn, and bona-fide howl-at-the-moon lunatics like Marjorie Taylor Greene. And only party has a base that’s formed a personality cult around a carnival barking pathological liar that’s so devoted that they’ll literally die, and believe anything from him just because he owns the "libs" on Twitter.

You could say the republican party should be disbanded, but I'm not sure that's the right call. That’s partly because I’m worried that if it splits in two, the sensible faction will be overwhelmed by the idiots and everything will get even worse. To fix the republican party, we need to somehow fix the republican base. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea how to do that.

Last edited:

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Fox News alone AVERAGE 3.6 Million viewers between 8pm and 11pm everyday. Do you some how believe that it's the same 3.6 Million viewers for 3 hours straight? That doesn't count for the other 21 hours.. So no, cable news does not get 1-3 million a show, they get buttloads more, as Fox News gets more than that alone. Have 90 Million followers doesn't mean shit, specially when more than half of them where following just to see what new lies the asshole threw out, and the majority of those lies where clips from guess who? Answer: Fox News, ION News, and Newsmax.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Fox News alone AVERAGE 3.6 Million viewers between 8pm and 11pm everyday. Do you some how believe that it's the same 3.6 Million viewers for 3 hours straight? That doesn't count for the other 21 hours.. So no, cable news does not get 1-3 million a show, they get buttloads more, as Fox News gets more than that alone. Have 90 Million followers doesn't mean shit, specially when more than half of them where following just to see what new lies the asshole threw out, and the majority of those lies where clips from guess who? Answer: Fox News, ION News, and Newsmax.
I think you need to dig into the demographics of FOX News. The majority of their viewers are 55 and definitely tune into multiple hours of their programing each day. Fox doesn't get buttloads more than 4 million. I'd guess they have 5 - 6 million individual viewers a day tops.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Yes, they had something going for them when survival depended on physical attributes more than intellectual attributes. It's no wonder they'd like to turn our planet into a hostile wasteland again so they can once again compete.

So you are going to argue against the science that says they were “were highly intelligent, able to adapt to a wide variety of ecologicalzones, and capable of developing highly functional tools to help them do so. They were quite accomplished.

OK then. I guess you know more than the people that do this for a living.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So you are going to argue against the science that says they were “were highly intelligent, able to adapt to a wide variety of ecologicalzones, and capable of developing highly functional tools to help them do so. They were quite accomplished.

OK then. I guess you know more than the people that do this for a living.
vs. a squirrel ffs.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I think you need to dig into the demographics of FOX News. The majority of their viewers are 55 and definitely tune into multiple hours of their programing each day. Fox doesn't get buttloads more than 4 million. I'd guess they have 5 - 6 million individual viewers a day tops.

They are forgetting about the majority of Talk Radio. Which a majority of people listen to all day long. A majority of it is right wing radicalized programming. The percentage of right biased radio vs left biased radio across the country is astoundingly unequal in its distribution. Something along the lines of 95%+ with the rest representing a left bias.

This is not including satellite radio.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
They are forgetting about the majority of Talk Radio. Which a majority of people listen to all day long. A majority of it is right wing radicalized programming. The percentage of right biased radio vs left biased radio across the country is astoundingly unequal in its distribution. Something along the lines of 95%+ with the rest representing a left bias.

This is not including satellite radio.
Yea, talk radio is massive. Rush at over 15 million listeners. Local news is also huge when added together.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
TRMS beat ALL CABLE show ratings, in January and February. ALL CABLE shows! Take that Fox!

Reactions: BUTCH1