mar rover Oppurtunity seen from space

Jun 19, 2004
Yeah, my friend sent me this last week and commented "Why can't we see the lunar landing equipment if we can see this?"

<____Waits for someone to label me a conspiracy theorist.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
Yeah, my friend sent me this last week and commented "Why can't we see the lunar landing equipment if we can see this?"

LOL
I was just wondering the same thiing.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

For the same reason you can't see a McDonald's when you are looking in your bathroom. It all depends on where you point your lense.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Maybe because we don't have any hi-res sats orbiting the moon?

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused

Winner
There is a mission in a few years that weill be able to see the Apollo sites. Don't recall the name off hand.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Armitage
Originally posted by: Amused

Winner
There is a mission in a few years that weill be able to see the Apollo sites. Don't recall the name off hand.

Found it: Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, planned launch in 2008
http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/060207_lro_technology.html

"We will image the Apollo sites and you will see the descent stages sitting on the surface," Robinson said. LROC will clearly see the overall shape of that landing hardware, but won't be able to resolve such things as the insignia on the side of the descent stage, or see the stripes on astronaut-planted flags"