Mapping network drives

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
I want to share some folders on my home file server with the purpose of mapping a few network drives, but restrict access. That is, I don't want everyone on the home network to be able to mess with the files (only me!). XP Pro is on all machines. TIA!

CanonCam

Oct 15, 2004
Just go to the security settings on the folders, and password protect them. I'm not sure that you can "hide" the folders without a domain, but I could be wrong.

ColdZero

Jul 22, 2000
The when you share them, just don't allow changes, its that simple. If you want to hide a share, adding a $ to a sharename will hide it, you will have to type in the full name of the share to access it, it won't show up in any browsers.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
I must have missed the password-protection thing for the folders. Where is that? The hiding trick sounds perfect (the $ thing). Thanks fellas!

Edit: I think I messed-up the $ trick. Is the $ at the end or the beginning??

Edit2: OK now I understand, sort of. Apparently the thing is automatically shared as "T$", but when I try to connect, the user name is greyed-out and set to "GUEST", which of course I have disabled so it no workie. :confused:

Edit3: Now I've managed to totally hose my server's sharing. XP made me re-configure the home network stuff through some stupid wizard and now? I can't even get to it by Remote Desktop. <sigh> I probably have to hook a monitor, kb and mouse to it now just to get that back. What a royal PITA!

Sianath

Sep 1, 2001
If you're using XP Pro, turn off simple file sharing. Simply go to the security tab of the folder you want to protect and remove the groups you don't want to access the share, add your login account with full control and be done with it.

If you connect from another machine, you'll be prompted for the account/password then granted full access. No reason to try and hide the share.