manufacturing jobs are not coming back

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CWRMadcat

Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: CWRMadcat
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Whitling
Charrison, the process of shifting service jobs overseas has begun. You're no doubt familiar with HPs contract with Indian workers to provide online service for some of their equipment. Most major typing operations now scan documents and transmit them to the third world to be typed. My personal guess is that insurance will be the next thing to leave.

Why even have indians do it?

Why not perfect OCR?

Why not just have electronic documents to start(there are ads for this on tv right now?

Is our workforce so poorly educated that they can only type?

Exactly. There's no reason to leave mundane work around in the US if it can be done elsewhere more cheaply and just as efficiently. The economy is changing, I think this will be an excellent catalyst for people in the United States to develop new skills.

"catalyst for people in the United States to develop new skills."

Many keep saying this but not putting any teeth into their statement, what new skills exactly?

Ding, the Fries are ready.

The same skills that were developed during the industrial revolution, as society moved from a predominantly agricultural based society into a more industrial one. Technology is always changing the face of national economies, and the current trend is that of globalization. Yes, this means some sectors of our economy may shrink, but that doesn't mean we're going to outsource every single possible job in the united states to a foriegn nation. Where old sectors of our economy wither away, new ones will appear, or other existing sectors may grow. Undoubtedly the trend of our economy is becoming highly service and research oriented, with less focus on manufacturing because companies can get what they need faster, cheaper, and from anywhere in the world (Just In Time Manufacturing). Dell is an excellent example of this.

The point I'm trying to make is that time = change. For centuries people have been changing and adapting their skills to suit the demands of the economy at that time. Now is no exception.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Charrison I'm not sure how much creedance we should give to that story. 25 years ago the whole GM product was made in the US, today many pieces are made in mexico and canada then assembled in US. Sure produtivity played one factor but so did exportation of the jobs which are no longer counted on the US payroll as the article discribes...But overall the article provides zero citations, quotes or anything for me to take it seriously, heck it does'nt even have an author to check his credentails.