manufacturer refurbished ssd's yes?, no?

Brado78

Jan 26, 2015
I had to send in my 860 evo and i was wondering are factory refurbished SSD's good as new ones?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
The only 2 I bought both went bad in 2 months. Warranty was 30 days. Never again for me.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would always buy new, but when Samsung sends a replacement, the refurbs should be fine, and still carry the same warranty IIRC. So if the refurb dies within remaining warranty, you are still covered. And of course have backups.

bonehead123

Nov 6, 2013
Factory Refurbs direct from mfgr's websites (not fleabay/'Zon marketplace), are usually ok and a good way to save a few $$, provided they carry the same warranty as new units.

I have done this many times over the years for all sorts of stuff & have never had any problems whatsoever with anything.

IMHO, sending in a unit which you bought new for repair/replacement under warranty, to the mfgr & them sending you back a refurb should be outright ILLEGAL everywhere in any way, shape or form, period. No if's and's or butt's.....

BTW, just exactly how does a mfgr "refurb" an SSD anyway (no moving parts to wear out), short of securely erasing it, checking the connectors, and giving it a good sanitary wipe down before putting it in a fresh A/S bag and box ???

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
To echo what @bonehead123 is saying, I often pick up "Factory Refurb" items too, and generally, if they're defective in some way, I usually don't notice that particular use case. Oftentimes, as a bonus, for older SKUs, I find that they are actually "new old stock", being sold as "refurb", just so that the mfg doesn't have to offer any warranty past 30 or 90 days on them. (Warranty support for that SKU, means that they need to keep a certain amount of stock of that item. When those items go off the market, the mfg's "reserve stock" gets sold off as "refurb".)

Brado78

Jan 26, 2015
The samsung rep said that i will either get a new one, mine (repaired) or a refurbished unit. Depends what is in stock...

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Much of the information about "manufacturer refurbished" is irrelevant to the extent that your hands are tied - they will send whatever they send.

I would test it extensively and see if some drive utility can show you the running hours it has so far. If many, I would relegate it to a less than crucial use - not your main drive for your most used system, or of course you could sell it.

Then again, backups... don't put all your eggs in one basket and in the small chance it has a problem, your loss is reduced.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I wouldn't personally be too concerned with a replacement drive directly from a company like Samsung, Intel, Crucial, etc. They could even possibly just send you a new one.