Manual Clutch - Clicking Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
2000 Mazda Protege - Manual Transmission.

When pressing/releasing clutch pedal, I can hear metallic clicking noise. Haven't looked into this yet, but maybe you may point me to where to look.

I am thinking:
1. Clutch cable - should be easily fixable (?)
2. Clutch Slave cylinder
getimage.php

What else can I consider?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
If you have a clutch cable there's no slave cylinder;)

Second, any other symptoms besides the noise?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Seems more likely it would be the clutch master cylinder than the slave, if you're going that route...

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
If you have a clutch cable there's no slave cylinder;)

Second, any other symptoms besides the noise?

Didn't know that. I thought that cable transfers power from pedal to slave cylinder. :eek:

No, no other symptoms really. All works fine still.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
If the noise is only once when stepping on or letting off the pedal, then you're right in thinking it's possibly something in the linkage.

If it's a continuous clicking whenever the pedal is pushed down with the engine running, then it could be the throwout bearing.

The 2000 Protege has a hydraulic clutch, so there's no cable. Your clutch is actuated much like your brakes. There is a master cylinder which forces hydraulic fluid (brake fluid) through a hose to a slave cylinder, which actuates a release arm. Generally, the master and slave cylinders don't "click", so if there's an issue it's probably either with the pedal assembly and how it interacts with the master cylinder, or a problem with a bearing on the release arm at the bell housing. Worth double-checking the master and slave cylinders, of course, but I think it's more likely on one end or the other than in the middle with the hydraulics.

If you're getting the second kind of clicking, there's not much to be done without pulling everything apart, at which point you might as well just replace the clutch too since you'll have paid for all the labor anyway.

ZV

sleep

Aug 23, 2010
i just posted a similar thread, but mostly mine is the transmission.

If you find that your clutch has failed, here is an at-home diagnostic test that anyone can perform:​

1. Start your car, set the parking break, and put the car in neutral.
  2. With your car idling, listen for a growling noise without pushing the clutch in. If you hear something, it's most likely a problem with the transmission. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step three.
  3. With the car still in neutral, begin to push the clutch and listen for noise. If you hear a chirping noise as you press, it's most likely the clutch release, or throw-out bearing. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step four.
  4. Push the clutch all the way to the floor. If you hear a squealing noise, it's probably the pilot bearing or bushing.
If you don't hear any noise during these four steps, then your problem is probably not the clutch. If you hear the noise at idle and it goes away when the clutch is pressed, it may be an issue in the contact point between the fork and pivot ball.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
If the noise is only once when stepping on or letting off the pedal, then you're right in thinking it's possibly something in the linkage.

If it's a continuous clicking whenever the pedal is pushed down with the engine running, then it could be the throwout bearing.

The 2000 Protege has a hydraulic clutch, so there's no cable. Your clutch is actuated much like your brakes. There is a master cylinder which forces hydraulic fluid (brake fluid) through a hose to a slave cylinder, which actuates a release arm. Generally, the master and slave cylinders don't "click", so if there's an issue it's probably either with the pedal assembly and how it interacts with the master cylinder, or a problem with a bearing on the release arm at the bell housing. Worth double-checking the master and slave cylinders, of course, but I think it's more likely on one end or the other than in the middle with the hydraulics.

If you're getting the second kind of clicking, there's not much to be done without pulling everything apart, at which point you might as well just replace the clutch too since you'll have paid for all the labor anyway.

ZV

Amazing reply. Thanks.

I am planning on lifting the car and checking it out. I'll have somebody press/release the clutch pedal and I'll see underneath what is going on.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
if the 'clicking' is more like someone shaking a bag full of marbles, and-

a) it's with the the clutch not engaged (pedal depressed); it's probably the release/throwout bearing.

b) it's with the clutch engaged (pedal at rest); it's probably in the trans (input shaft bearing usually).

if it's just a simple, more constant 'click click click' as you move the pedal, it's probably in the pedal assembly itself.

so pretty much what ZV said.

Status
Not open for further replies.