Mantle's Role In The Lifespan Of A PC GPU AND 4K Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakabutt

Sep 6, 2012
wowtrainer.net
I think its possible that this thing can extend the period you use your Radeon GPU by a large factor if it takes off, close to the lifespan of a console since they can carry over optimization in the future maybe ?

And with alot more brunt behind the GPU i imagine 4k becoming very very playable with this, i mean like 4k at 60 FPS a real possibility.

Anyone else agree ?

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
The people that develop 4k Displays for PCs are probably happy about this announcement yes.

Same with the 512bit bus and insane amount of memory bandwidth & memory these new cards have.

Overall its bound to have a effect on 4k, how big remains to be seen.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Unless someone can find a cheaper 4k monitor then the cheap Asus PQ321Q 31.5-Inch@$3,500 i doubt 4k is gonna matter to most gamers....sure there is a few insane deep pocket gamers but damn 4k is way off from being mainstream or even considered as the focus of any respectable gamers box....

DarkKnightDude

Mar 10, 2011
Wouldn't really matter till 4k prices fall down and even with mantle, I don't think they'll get 60 FPS maxed out quite yet :p

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
4k is all about timing, it requires a metric F-ton of graphics horsepower.

We have a console cycle where we get new fixed hardware every ~7 years which puts them on par with mid range PCs, then gives us ~7 years of growth in PC speeds to completely overshadow them.

Because games are now being developed for both consoles and PC in parallel it means demands of PC games stay down at the console level, over that ~7 years we end up with more and more excess power we have absolutely no idea what to do with.

This generation we blithely threw all that power at rendering twice as much for 3D, or 3-5x as much for multi-monitor configurations, next generation I think it will make 4k a reality for many PC gamers, but it won't be for a good 4 years into the console cycle were PCs can sport about 8x more GPU power.

I don't think Mantle will matter at this point, a relatively small difference in percentage efficiency isn't going to make or break 4k, but the raw power being up by a factor of 8, that'll do it.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Any idea what kind of performance increase mantle will bring on games that use it? Or are we doing hypotheticals?

Shakabutt

Sep 6, 2012
wowtrainer.net
Any idea what kind of performance increase mantle will bring on games that use it? Or are we doing hypotheticals?

I guess we'll see in december with the Mantle update for BF 4.
Personally for me its a key event since i don't have a GPU, if Radeons trample the GTX's with it then im going for Radeon easily.

I assume its gonna be a deciding factor for many people aswell since its such a high profile title.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
I guess we'll see in december with the Mantle update for BF 4.
Personally for me its a key event since i don't have a GPU, if Radeons trample the GTX's with it then im going for Radeon easily.

I assume its gonna be a deciding factor for many people aswell since its such a high profile title.

http://www.maximumpc.com/amd_r9_290x_will_be_much_faster_titan_battlefield_4

“with Battlefield 4 running with Mantel (AMD’s new graphics API), the card will be able to ‘ridicule’ the Titan in terms of performance.”

They used the word ridicule, to mention 290x vs Titan performance.

I dont think they would use such words if it was close, or if it was slower.
The 290x is gonna beat the Titan (when useing mantle) pretty soundly.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
You should read between the lines. That reeks of desperation to me. Basically they're saying that they need a proprietary API to beat NVIDIA using DX 11.

Keep in mind they are talking about a likely $400 card beating a $1000 card here

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Keep in mind they are talking about a likely $400 card beating a $1000 card here

Price only matters once the product is on the market. The reason Titan is $1000 is because it has no competition, and people are paying that for it.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Price only matters once the product is on the market. The reason Titan is $1000 is because it has no competition, and people are paying that for it.

Titan will probably cease production before the price changes. Same thing with the old super niche big cards of old like the 7800 GTX 512, 8800 Ultra, etc..

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
Sometimes the pace of human progress in some areas impresses and astounds, other times it gets really annoying. Surely they could make next gen consoles a little modular (like PC's ) so they could soup up the CPU/GPU bits like they can add hard drives etc. Strikes me they're deliberately slowing the pace to milk emergent markets for ever.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
It's supposed to work on all GCN cards. Considering the "new" R7 and R9 series except the the 290X are all more than likely rebrands, it better.
how can they be rebrands with the trueaudio silicon? unless the elder counterparts also have the silicon but disabled...

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
the advent of 4K is kind of a nightmare situatoin for me, for I say screw more pixels when we're still woefully behind on speed/motion clarity

I need to see an officially supported 1440p120Hz first (with Lightboost) before I even consider the next porgression to 4K, and I fear the glitz and glamor of 4K will wrongfully overshadow motion clarity and very well could do quite a bit of harm in the slow progression of improvement we've been seeing with the development of 120+Hz

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
the advent of 4K is kind of a nightmare situatoin for me, for I say screw more pixels when we're still woefully behind on speed/motion clarity

I need to see an officially supported 1440p120Hz first (with Lightboost) before I even consider the next porgression to 4K, and I fear the glitz and glamor of 4K will wrongfully overshadow motion clarity and very well could do quite a bit of harm in the slow progression of improvement we've been seeing with the development of 120+Hz

The problem with that is IPS technology is used for large panels where viewing angles are important. IPS is much slower switching, not nearly fast enough for 120hz to look good.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
4k is worthless until they get the stupid display transport standards up to par.

4k @ 30 hz per stream is NOT ok.

Since we have 1440p @ 120 hz we need a standard that supports AT LEAST 4k @ 120 hz.

The panels can already do 4k @ 120 hz, the stupid display transport standards are just terribly low bandwidth.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
The problem with that is IPS technology is used for large panels where viewing angles are important. IPS is much slower switching, not nearly fast enough for 120hz to look good.

I used to think the same thing until I heard about people modding/overclocking/special ordering models such as the Yamakasi Catleap as far back as a year and a half ago...

and while IPS might still not be good enough (I have no first hand experience to say that it is or isn't) then bring on 1440p TN panels...

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
I used to think the same thing until I heard about people modding/overclocking/special ordering models such as the Yamakasi Catleap as far back as a year and a half ago...

and while IPS might still not be good enough (I have no first hand experience to say that it is or isn't) then bring on 1440p TN panels...

The problem is these panels are about 8ms G2G (B/W is even slower) but 120hz switches every 8.333ms which means at 120hz they spend most of the time switching colour rather than displaying the intended colour.

If there was a way to simply grab these panels and create official native 120hz screens some manufacturer would have done it by now, it's because it looks naff. When IPS can get down to about 2ms G2G that'll make a good 120hz panel.

We're also ignoring that no data connectivity has support for 4k@120hz and GPUs to power 4k resolution that fast would be absolutely insane.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

Well... it won't be beating Titan in BF4 until BF4 is on the market anyway.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
how can they be rebrands with the trueaudio silicon? unless the elder counterparts also have the silicon but disabled...

Your right, not all will be rebrands.

The R290, 290X and one of the R7 cards will get the True-Audio chip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.