Manipulating Milkyway@Home optimized applications w/ the app_info.xml file

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
i was asked by an AT forum member and fellow cruncher for some assistance setting up Milkyway@Home to run on an HD 6950 GPU. i thought it might be best to do this by creating an informative thread that provides a foundation/template for running Milkyway@Home optimized applications in general. please note that is not an in-depth explanation of BOINC's "anonymous platform" mechanism. in this thread i will address the app_info.xml, which is the file that enables BOINC anonymous platform mechanism. for a full explanation, please resort to BOINC's own documentation.

as many MW@H participants probably already know, you have a decent amount of control over your host via your MW@H web preferences. for instance, you have quite extensive control over the version of the application you want to run on your host (or more appropriately force the project server to feed your host specific application versions and their associated work/tasks) simply by choosing to run either one or both types of MW@H work (Separation tasks and N-body tasks). likewise, enabling or disabling CPU and/or GPU computing will also force the project server to only send work for specific applications. unfortunately we cannot further manipulate certain characteristics and parameters of the applications via our web preferences once we've chosen the version(s) we want to run. in order to do that, we must go a step further and implement what is known as an app_info.xml file. this file specifies the application version(s) you want to run, as well as contains a number of changeable parameters that affect how the application runs. it must be deployed in the project data directory (in my case, that would be G:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\milkyway.cs.rpi.edu_milkyway, where the applications themselves and their associated files would be found). while the .XML extension traditionally refers to an Extensible Markup Language file, i believe BOINC and the project server simply reads it like a text file and interprets it as a set of instructions from the host machine. lets take a look at the MW@H app_info.xml file on my Win7/AMD 1090T/HD 6950 platform:

Code:
<app_info>

<app>
    <name>milkyway</name>
</app>

<file_info>
   [B] <name>milkyway_separation_1.02_windows_x86_64__opencl_amd_ati.exe</name>[/B]
    <executable/>
</file_info>

<app_version>
    <app_name>milkyway</app_name>
    <version_num>102</version_num>
    <flops>1.0e11</flops>
    [B]<avg_ncpus>0.05</avg_ncpus>
    <max_ncpus>1</max_ncpus>[/B]
    <plan_class>ati14ati</plan_class>
    <coproc>
        <type>ATI</type>
        [B]<count>0.5</count>[/B]
    </coproc>
    [B]<cmdline></cmdline>[/B]
    <file_ref>
       [B] <file_name>milkyway_separation_1.02_windows_x86_64__opencl_amd_ati.exe</file_name>[/B]
        <main_program/>
    </file_ref>
</app_version>

</app_info>
i've bolded the lines of text that are significant in this thread.

starting with the <name> line, you can see my app_info.xml file only specifies a single version of the MW@H Separation application. specifically, it is the version meant for a Windows platform running an AMD/ATI GPU (milkyway_separation_1.02_windows_x86_64__opencl_amd_ati.exe). my app_info.xml specifies no other versions of the Separation application or any kind of the N-body application, and so the AMD/ATI GPU app is the only app that will run on my host unless i edit my app_info.xml file to include yet another app.

the <avg_ncpus> and <max_ncpus> lines can be manipulated to try and improve CPU and/or GPU utilization...but i hardly ever use them b/c i hardly run into utilization problems w/ MW@H, and so i leave them at their default values.

the <count> is an important parameter if you're bent on extracting the most production out of your GPU. it is the GPU utilization factor, and it controls the number of MW@H tasks the application will run simultaneously. by default, its value is one, which corresponds to running a single MW@H task at a time. you can see mine is set to 0.5, which corresponds to 2 MW@H tasks running in parallel. a GPU utilization factor (or <count> value) of 0.33 would correspond to running 3 simultaneous MW@H tasks...though running any more than 2 MW@H Separation tasks simultaneously is a waste of time, as i'll explain shortly...first, i'll start by saying that it is a common misconception that running 2 MW@H Separation tasks simultaneously isn't anymore efficient than running 1 at a time b/c if you run a pair of MW@H tasks, they will appear to take approx. twice the amount of time it takes the same GPU to crunch 1 task. however, it is worth it to note that there is a 3 to 10-second window (depending on the host's CPU and GPU) that starts just after a task reaches 100% during which the entire workload is transferred to the CPU, and GPU utilization drops to zero. obviously running a single MW@H Separation task at a time would result in a few seconds of GPU idling every minute or so on a fairly powerful GPU. likewise, if i run 2 tasks simultaneously and start running them at the same time, for a while they'll stay in sync and hit their 0% GPU utilization points more or less at the same time. but if i offset them by starting only one task at first, and then starting a 2nd task when the first task reaches ~50% progress, i'll see that when the first task reaches 100% and all work associated with it transfers to the CPU, the 2nd task (which is now probably near the 50% mark) will keep the GPU loaded. now i know ~4 seconds of GPU downtime doesn't sound like much, but when it happens every 60-120 seconds, it adds up. in the worst case scenario (i.e. if i were running only 1 MW@H task at a time), this would happen on my host 1394 times a day. multiply that by 4 seconds, and that's 5575 seconds, or 1:33:00. at an average run time of 60s/task, that's 93 tasks. valued at 160 points each, that equates to a loss of 14,880 PPD...not insignificant. b/c we know that 2 simultaneous MW@H Separation tasks take approx. twice the amount of time a single task takes, and b/c we also know that running 2 simultaneous MW@H tasks is enough to eliminate the several seconds of GPU downtime we get at the end of a MW@H Separation task, it is therefore pointless to try and run 3 or more simultaneous MW@H Separation tasks.

the <cmdline> section is a place for additional parameters to be added to the application. i don't really know of any that might be used for MW@H, and i've never needed them, so i've always left this section of the app_info.xml blank for MW@H. now i do run optimized GPU apps for SETI@Home, and my app_info.xml contains -unroll, -ffa, -ffa block, and some other parameters in the <cmdline> section of the app_info.xml...they help w/ GPU utilization and GUI lag, but they are specific to the SETI@Home project...though i'm sure there are also <cmdline> parameters that are common to all BOINC projects. at any rate, for MW@H, i wouldn't be too concerned about this section of the app_info.xml.

How To Make An app_info.xml file for Milkyway@Home:
open Microsoft Worpad or the equivalent word processor on your platform (i'm obviously using Windows). DO NOT use MS Word, Corel Word Perfect, or any of the fancier word processors, as they can occasionally add invisible (and unwanted) characters to your text later during the save process, and that can wreak havoc lol. next, add the text you see in the code box below, and edit the <file_info> section to work w/ your platform/OS. make sure the GPU utilization factor is what you want it to be (for Milkyway@Home, either 1 or 0.5). finally, save the file as "app_info.txt" and rename the "txt" file extension to "xml." now you have an app_info.xml file that is ready to be placed in your MW@H data directory.

well that more or less sums up the app_info.xml for the Milkyway@Home project. keep in mind that BOINC's anonymous platform mechanism and the app_info.xml file can be used for a multitude or projects, and is not limited to MW@H. i hope this ends up being helpful for many of you, and if you have any questions, i'll do my best to answer them.

Last edited:

Reno33

Jul 26, 2012
Milkyway problem: I have a pair of Radeon HD 6950 GPUs, dedicated to MW. The core 2 duo (2 core) CPU was given 0% cores, as I want to run only GPU MW tasks. System was previously working one task per gpu, so I wanted to fix it for 2 tasks or more. So I thought I would try Sunny's app_info.xml as shown above. I placed it in the program files\boinc\project\ directory (also tried it in \project\milkyway).

System immediately started downloading new MW tasks in great number but then at .5 second intervals, each task failed. Here is a screenshot of the action in the Boinc Manager Tasks screen http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/captureqib.png/

Anyone venture what I have wrong in the app_info.xml?

Last edited:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
Milkyway problem: I have a pair of Radeon HD 6950 GPUs, dedicated to MW. The core 2 duo (2 core) CPU was given 0% cores, as I want to run only GPU MW tasks. System was previously working one task per gpu, so I wanted to fix it for 2 tasks or more. So I thought I would try Sunny's app_info.xml as shown above. I placed it in the program files\boinc\project\ directory (also tried it in \project\milkyway).

System immediately started downloading new MW tasks in great number but then at .5 second intervals, each task failed. Here is a screenshot of the action in the Boinc Manager Tasks screen http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/captureqib.png/

Anyone venture what I have wrong in the app_info.xml?
ok, first of all, the app_info.xml file doesn't go in the general projects folder - make sure you put it in the actual Milkyway@Home project folder.

next, what exactly do you mean when you say the CPU was given 0% cores? there are 3 ways you can set CPU resources as a percentage. the first is in your MW@H web preferences (Maximum CPU % for graphics), and it refers to exactly that - graphics resources for those who use the screen saver, and thus it is irrelevant to your problem. the other 2 ways you can set CPU resources as a percentage are in the local BOINC manager's settings (Tools ->Computing Preferences -> CPU usage tab). there you will find both the "On multiprocessor systems, use at most __% of the processors" and "Use at most __% CPU time" parameters. i'm hoping this isn't where you set CPU resources to 0%.

and finally, could you please give me your Milkyway@Home account user name and make sure your computer isn't hidden so that i can view its details (such as CPU, GPU(s), OS, driver versions, and BOINC version)? then i can tell you if you should have changed certain items in my app_info.xml file. if you're not sure how to do this, go to your Milkway@Home web account, and click on the Milkyway@Home preferences link. then make sure the "Should MilkyWay@Home show your computers on its web site?" parameter is set to "yes." in the former parameter, you want to allocate at least some CPU resources to service the GPU tasks. in the latter parameter, i'd set it to 100% if you want the CPU to be available to service those GPU tasks at any given time.

Reno33

Jul 26, 2012
Thanks Sunny129, I had set in BOINC Manager-Tools-Computing Preferences-"On multiprocessor systems, use at most [0%] of the processors". I had it set to zero for a short while, during this test only.

I have since reset this CPU setting back to 100%, but not having app_info.xml in place pending any corrections. My id is "voter", and have also now changed MW@home prefs for view-ability, within the site.

Maximum CPU % for graphics was set at default of 20 percent. I just now changed the Max CPU % for graphics to 100%.

Last edited:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
Thanks Sunny129, I had set in BOINC Manager-Tools-Computing Preferences-"On multiprocessor systems, use at most [0%] of the processors". I had it set to zero for a short while, during this test only.

I have since reset this CPU setting back to 100%, but not having app_info.xml in place pending any corrections. My id is "voter", and have also now changed MW@home prefs for view-ability, within the site.

Maximum CPU % for graphics was set at default of 20 percent. I just now changed the Max CPU % for graphics to 100%.
yeah, the "Maximum CPU % for graphics" parameter only matters if you actually use the screen saver. so if you don't use it, it doesn't matter whether the parameter is set to 0% or 100%. if you do use the screen saver however, and you crunch on the same GPU that runs your display, then it becomes a matter of balancing CPU resource allocation between graphics and actual crunching. but its not something i'd worry about, seeing as how a MW@H GPU task requires such a small amount of CPU resources (a few seconds worth at the beginning and end of each MW@H GPU task) that it probably hardly affects crunching efficiency.

as for the "On multiprocessor systems, use at most [0%] of the processors" parameter, i can't recall for sure, but i believe this parameter controls the amount of CPU resources allocated to CPU tasks only. even with it set to 0%, i believe BOINC will still use the CPU to upload data to & download data from the GPU at the beginning and end of each task. the reason i had you set it to something other than 0% is just in case i might be wrong about that. this way, you'll for sure have some CPU resources available to service GPU tasks, regardless of whether or not this parameter affects GPU crunching.

now that those points have been made, i went ahead and had a look at your dual HD 6950 machine on the MW@H website. i see that you're running Win7 64-bit like me, so we know that the lines in the app_info.xml file pertaining to the application executable itself don't need to be changed (there are different versions of the same application written for various platforms/OSes). also, upon looking at some this host's individual failed tasks, i see that you're also running the most current version of BOINC (v7.0.28), which supports the most recent MW@H ATI GPU app release utilizing OpenCL (as opposed to older v6.12.xx versions of BOINC which only recognized and supported the CAL versions of MW@H apps, and not the newer OpenCL versions). i'm wondering what video drivers you're using. i can see the numbers "1.4.1741" in computer # 450088's GPU info box on your computers page, but that really doesn't tell me anything...what version of the AMD Catalyst drivers are you using right now? that very well might have something to do with it.

by the way, i'm now looking at the "stderr output" of one of your failed tasks. you may know how to do this already, but i'll explain it anyways in case you don't. go to your MW@H account page and click on the "computers on this account" link. then click on the "tasks" link of your computer w/ ID # 450088. then click on the "error" link to single out the erred tasks. now click on any one of the links in the "task" column on the far left (it doesn't matter which one b/c they all seem to have erred out for the same reason). and i also have the stderr output of one of my own valid tasks opened so i can view them side by side. in fact, i'll post them both here so you can see the differences as well...first one of your failed tasks:

Code:
Stderr output

<core_client_version>7.0.28</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
Incorrect function. (0x1) - exit code 1 (0x1)
</message>
<stderr_txt>
BOINC: parse gpu_opencl_dev_index 109120936
<search_application> milkyway_separation 1.02 Windows x86_64 double OpenCL </search_application>
Unrecognized XML in project preferences: max_gfx_cpu_pct
Skipping: 20
Skipping: /max_gfx_cpu_pct
Unrecognized XML in project preferences: nbody_graphics_poll_period
Skipping: 30
Skipping: /nbody_graphics_poll_period
Unrecognized XML in project preferences: nbody_graphics_float_speed
Skipping: 5
Skipping: /nbody_graphics_float_speed
Unrecognized XML in project preferences: nbody_graphics_textured_point_size
Skipping: 250
Skipping: /nbody_graphics_textured_point_size
Unrecognized XML in project preferences: nbody_graphics_point_point_size
Skipping: 40
Skipping: /nbody_graphics_point_point_size
BOINC GPU type suggests using OpenCL vendor 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.'
Error loading Lua script 'astronomy_parameters.txt': [string "number_parameters: 4..."]:1: '<name>' expected near '4' 
Error reading astronomy parameters from file 'astronomy_parameters.txt'
  Trying old parameters file
Using SSE3 path
Error getting number of platform (-1001): CL_PLATFORM_NOT_FOUND_KHR
Failed to get information about device
Error getting device and context (1): MW_CL_ERROR
Failed to calculate likelihood
<background_integral> 1.#QNAN0000000000 </background_integral>
<stream_integral>  1.#QNAN0000000000  1.#QNAN0000000000 </stream_integral>
<background_likelihood> 1.#QNAN0000000000 </background_likelihood>
<stream_only_likelihood>  1.#QNAN0000000000  1.#QNAN0000000000 </stream_only_likelihood>
<search_likelihood> 1.#QNAN0000000000 </search_likelihood>
19:33:31 (1920): called boinc_finish

</stderr_txt>
]]>
...and now one of my validated tasks:

Code:
Stderr output

<core_client_version>7.0.28</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<stderr_txt>
BOINC: parse gpu_opencl_dev_index 0
<search_application> milkyway_separation 1.02 Windows x86_64 double OpenCL </search_application>
Unrecognized XML in project preferences: max_gfx_cpu_pct
Skipping: 0
Skipping: /max_gfx_cpu_pct
Unrecognized XML in project preferences: apps_selected
Skipping: app_id
Skipping: /apps_selected
BOINC GPU type suggests using OpenCL vendor 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.'
Error loading Lua script 'astronomy_parameters.txt': [string "number_parameters: 4..."]:1: '<name>' expected near '4' 
Error reading astronomy parameters from file 'astronomy_parameters.txt'
  Trying old parameters file
Using SSE3 path
Found 1 platform
Platform 0 information:
  Name:       AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
  Version:    OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (923.1)
  Vendor:     Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  Extensions: cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices cl_khr_d3d10_sharing
  Profile:    FULL_PROFILE
Using device 0 on platform 0
Found 2 CL devices
Device 'Cayman' (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.:0x1002) (CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU)
Driver version:      CAL 1.4.1720 (VM)
Version:             OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (923.1)
Compute capability:  0.0
Max compute units:   24
Clock frequency:     880 Mhz
Global mem size:     2147483648
Local mem size:      32768
Max const buf size:  65536
Double extension:    cl_khr_fp64
Build log:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp\OCLDB3A.tmp.cl", line 30: warning: ignore
          unrecognized OpenCL extension
      #pragma OPENCL EXTENSION cl_khr_fp64 : enable
                                                   ^

LOOP UNROLL: pragma unroll (line 288)
    Unrolled as requested!
LOOP UNROLL: pragma unroll (line 280)
    Unrolled as requested!
LOOP UNROLL: pragma unroll (line 273)
    Unrolled as requested!
LOOP UNROLL: pragma unroll (line 244)
    Unrolled as requested!
LOOP UNROLL: pragma unroll (line 202)
    Unrolled as requested!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build log:
"C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp\OCLDC35.tmp.cl", line 27: warning: ignore
          unrecognized OpenCL extension
      #pragma OPENCL EXTENSION cl_khr_fp64 : enable
                                                   ^

Using AMD IL kernel
Binary status (0): CL_SUCCESS
Estimated AMD GPU GFLOP/s: 2703 SP GFLOP/s, 676 DP FLOP/s
Using a target frequency of 60.0
Using a block size of 6144 with 72 blocks/chunk
Using clWaitForEvents() for polling (mode -1)
Range:          { nu_steps = 640, mu_steps = 1600, r_steps = 1400 }
Iteration area: 2240000
Chunk estimate: 5
Num chunks:     6
Chunk size:     442368
Added area:     414208
Effective area: 2654208
Initial wait:   12 ms
Integration time: 105.326480 s. Average time per iteration = 164.572626 ms
Integral 0 time = 106.025457 s
Running likelihood with 95435 stars
Likelihood time = 1.206094 s
<background_integral> 0.000421503838043 </background_integral>
<stream_integral>  1.701395476142628  918.849751355157540 </stream_integral>
<background_likelihood> -3.458980368446330 </background_likelihood>
<stream_only_likelihood>  -231.144064352526160  -3.510695958875682 </stream_only_likelihood>
<search_likelihood> -3.050728188162565 </search_likelihood>
18:44:31 (3316): called boinc_finish

</stderr_txt>
]]>
the first thing the really stands out to me is the line of code "BOINC: parse gpu_opencl_dev_index n." in my stderr output, n = 0, and the fact that it is referred to as an index makes me think that n should probably represent 0, 1, or some low integer value. the value of n in your output is some ridiculous 9-digit number which, at a glance, just doesn't seem normal to me. when i first saw one of your outputs and saw so many unrecognized XML's i was alarmed...but then i realized even my valid tasks sometimes had unrecognized XML's in the output. and besides, even though you have of them, they all seem to pertain to screen saver parameters, so i doubt they have anything to do w/ your compute problem. anyways, the next thing that stands out is line of code "Error getting number of platform (-1001): CL_PLATFORM_NOT_FOUND_KHR." in the output of a valid task, this line of code should read "Found 1 platform," and continue on to display information on that platform, and then proceed to detect any OpenCL devices. your's clearly isn't doing that, and i'm not sure why. these things can be a bitch to troubleshoot. but i'll start by suggesting you do some further research on the MW@H message boards. you'll find much more info than you will here, and both testers and developers alike are active on the forums there. don't forget to get back to me about which AMD Catalyst driver version you're using, as a different driver version just may solve the problem.

Reno33

Jul 26, 2012
Hmm.. The stderr output does show alot.. I had started with a fresh install of the latest 12.6 catalyst and the latest 64 bit Boinc, on the day before I posted. But, since I was updating 2 different machines at once, I might double check the versions. I tried again today, with the MW@home settings set as you suggested, this time with the app_info.xml only in the MW directory, and again same instant download of gobs of new tasks, then erroring out at once. It even errored out some pre-existing tasks that were partially complete before the test. Now I am running without .xml and its behaving 'normal', i.e. one task per gpu. I will keep plugging, and let you know if I find a anything interesting. Thanks for the insight Sunny129 :) I might also completely remove BOINC and the old drivers again, then reinstall, to ensure clean install, though I thought I had done completely.. but once again to make sure.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
Hmm.. The stderr output does show alot.. I had started with a fresh install of the latest 12.6 catalyst and the latest 64 bit Boinc, on the day before I posted.
well the fact that tasks run just fine one at a time (without the app_info.xml file) makes me think that your video drivers aren't the problem. i'd be curious to see what the Catalyst 12.4 drivers do for you, but i'm not sure its necessary at this point.

something else that dawned on me is the cc_config.xml file - do you use one of these? if you didn't create one and manually place it in the main BOINC data directory (that would be c:\ProgramData\BOINC on my machine...i don't know where you keep your's), then its not something you're just going to find in that directory (it is not part of the standard BOINC installation).

I tried again today, with the MW@home settings set as you suggested, this time with the app_info.xml only in the MW directory, and again same instant download of gobs of new tasks, then erroring out at once. It even errored out some pre-existing tasks that were partially complete before the test.
the bolded part is normal. if you place the app_info.xml file in the MW@H data directory and restart BOINC before you finish crunching through any MW@H tasks remaining in the queue, those tasks will immediately either error out or disappear from the queue altogether upon restarting BOINC. likewise, if you had been successful w/ the app_info.xml file, and then suddenly removed it from the MW@H data directory and restarted BOINC before you finish crunching through any MW@H tasks remaining in the queue, those tasks will also either error out or disappear from the queue altogether upon restarting BOINC. so the idea is to allow the MW@H task queue to drain completely before adding or removing an app_info.xml file...the errors caused by this won't bring around the end of the world, but if you do too much experimentation and produce too many errors in one 24-hour period, you'll be cut off from receiving new tasks for another 24 hours.

if you go to your MW@H account page, "view" computers on this account, click the "tasks" link for your host # 450088, and click on the "valid" link near the top (to single out the tasks that were run one at a time without the app_info.xml file in place), you'll notice that the "application" column at the far right lists a specific application, MilkyWay@Home v0.82 (ati14) for example. but if you single out all your erred tasks, you'll note that the "application" column this time specifies MilkyWay@Home Anonymous platform (ATI GPU). whenever you switch between these 2 platforms (again, by either adding or removing an app_info.xml file from the M@H data directory), any pre-existing tasks in the queue will error out or disappear from the queue.

Reno33

Jul 26, 2012
You may be on to something re the cc_config.xml , and I could well have one, as I had neglected mention that I had uninstalled Lunatic's specialized SETI apps as part of the cleanup prep for MW-only system. And the installer may have installed one in the normally hidden user appinfo directoy. I will look into that this evening. I will also look over the other items on the MW account page earlier.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
You may be on to something re the cc_config.xml , and I could well have one, as I had neglected mention that I had uninstalled Lunatic's specialized SETI apps as part of the cleanup prep for MW-only system. And the installer may have installed one in the normally hidden user appinfo directoy. I will look into that this evening. I will also look over the other items on the MW account page earlier.
no, the Lunatics installer does not install a cc_config.xml file in the BOINC data directory, so you needn't be concerned that it may have done so. the reason i asked if you used a cc_config.xml file is b/c there are a number of configuration options related to GPUs, one of which is a command that tells BOINC to use all available GPUs in that machine. neither of my multi-GPU crunching machines required that line of code in the cc_config.xml file, but as i understand it, some systems are more finicky than others, and some require a cc_config.xml file with that line of code in order to get BOINC to recognize more than one GPU.

but before we try that, i'd like to see the contents of your BOINC event log on startup. if it isn't already open, go to the advanced menu in BOINC and open the event log. scroll to the very top, highlight the first 20 lines or so (right up to the point where it starts reporting individual project info), and cut-n-paste it here. i'd like to see what BOINC's GPU and OpenCL detection looks like on your machine.

Reno33

Jul 26, 2012
Right, I use a cc_config.xml on a system where I have 2 Nvidia GPUs, yet different models, and which wouldn't run both without the "use all gpu" statement. I also confirmed that I had no cc_config.xml in the system last night, just before an unfortunate multi-hour power outage. I will post the event log here this afternoon.

Reno33

Jul 26, 2012
I have highlighted a couple of interesting points, one on each log.. 1 is the error in "without app_info" log right after the GPUs are recognized as CAYMAN type. 2nd is the same area where app_info.xml is recognized. Odd that I have an error, yet can run the tasks, whereas With the .xml, no error is in that area of the log, yet the tasks fail.

BOINC LOG WITHOUT APP_INFO:
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | No config file found - using defaults
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | Starting BOINC client version 7.0.28 for windows_x86_64
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | log flags: file_xfer, sched_ops, task
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | Libraries: libcurl/7.25.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1 zlib/1.2.6
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | Data directory: C:\ProgramData\BOINC
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | Running under account Reno
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | Processor: 2 GenuineIntel Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6300 @ 2.80GHz [Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10]
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | Processor: 2.00 MB cache
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | Processor features: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss htt tm pni ssse3 cx16 lm vmx tm2 pbe
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | OS: Microsoft Windows 7: Home Premium x64 Edition, Service Pack 1, (06.01.7601.00)
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | Memory: 4.00 GB physical, 8.00 GB virtual
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | Disk: 596.07 GB total, 562.23 GB free
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | Local time is UTC -4 hours
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | ATI GPU 0: AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (Cayman) (CAL version 1.4.1741, 1024MB, 992MB available, 5632 GFLOPS peak)
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | ATI GPU 1: AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (Cayman) (CAL version 1.4.1741, 1024MB, 992MB available, 5632 GFLOPS peak)
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] State file error: missing application file milkyway_separation_1.02_windows_x86_64__opencl_amd_ati.exe
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] No application found for task: windows_x86_64 102 ati14ati; discarding
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] No application found for task: windows_x86_64 102 ati14ati; discarding
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | Milkyway@Home | URL http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/; Computer ID 450088; resource share 100
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | Milkyway@Home | General prefs: from Milkyway@Home (last modified 28-Jul-2012 01:49:36)
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | Milkyway@Home | Host location: none
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | Milkyway@Home | General prefs: using your defaults
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | Reading preferences override file
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | Preferences:
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | max memory usage when active: 2047.59MB
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | max memory usage when idle: 3685.66MB
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | max disk usage: 100.00GB
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | don't compute while active
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | don't use GPU while active
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | suspend work if non-BOINC CPU load exceeds 25 %
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | (to change preferences, visit the web site of an attached project, or select Preferences in the Manager)
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | Not using a proxy
7/29/2012 9:57:31 PM | Milkyway@Home | project resumed by user
7/29/2012 9:57:38 PM | Milkyway@Home | update requested by user
7/29/2012 9:57:40 PM | Milkyway@Home | Fetching scheduler list
7/29/2012 9:57:42 PM | Milkyway@Home | Master file download succeeded
7/29/2012 9:57:47 PM | Milkyway@Home | Sending scheduler request: Requested by user.
7/29/2012 9:57:47 PM | Milkyway@Home | Requesting new tasks for ATI
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | | App version needs OpenCL but GPU doesn't support it
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | Scheduler request completed: got 24 new tasks
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] App version uses non-existent ATI GPU
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137680_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137694_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137682_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137683_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137684_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137685_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137686_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137687_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137688_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137695_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137690_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137696_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137668_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137669_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137670_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137697_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137672_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137673_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137674_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137692_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137693_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137677_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137678_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:49 PM | Milkyway@Home | [error] Missing coprocessor for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17137679_0; aborting
7/29/2012 9:57:51 PM | Milkyway@Home | File milkyway_separation_1.02_windows_x86_64__opencl_amd_ati.exe exists already, skipping download

BOINC LOG WITH APP_INFO:
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | No config file found - using defaults
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | Starting BOINC client version 7.0.28 for windows_x86_64
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | log flags: file_xfer, sched_ops, task
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | Libraries: libcurl/7.25.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1 zlib/1.2.6
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | Data directory: C:\ProgramData\BOINC
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | Running under account Reno
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | Processor: 2 GenuineIntel Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6300 @ 2.80GHz [Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10]
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | Processor: 2.00 MB cache
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | Processor features: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss htt tm pni ssse3 cx16 lm vmx tm2 pbe
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | OS: Microsoft Windows 7: Home Premium x64 Edition, Service Pack 1, (06.01.7601.00)
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | Memory: 4.00 GB physical, 8.00 GB virtual
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | Disk: 596.07 GB total, 562.23 GB free
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | Local time is UTC -4 hours
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | ATI GPU 0: AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (Cayman) (CAL version 1.4.1741, 1024MB, 992MB available, 5632 GFLOPS peak)
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | ATI GPU 1: AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (Cayman) (CAL version 1.4.1741, 1024MB, 992MB available, 5632 GFLOPS peak)
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | Milkyway@Home | Found app_info.xml; using anonymous platform
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | Milkyway@Home | URL http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/; Computer ID 450088; resource share 100
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | Milkyway@Home | General prefs: from Milkyway@Home (last modified 28-Jul-2012 01:49:36)
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | Milkyway@Home | Host location: none
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | Milkyway@Home | General prefs: using your defaults
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | Reading preferences override file
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | Preferences:
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | max memory usage when active: 2047.59MB
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | max memory usage when idle: 3685.66MB
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | max disk usage: 100.00GB
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | don't compute while active
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | don't use GPU while active
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | suspend work if non-BOINC CPU load exceeds 25 %
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | (to change preferences, visit the web site of an attached project, or select Preferences in the Manager)
7/29/2012 9:54:11 PM | | Not using a proxy
7/29/2012 9:54:29 PM | Milkyway@Home | project resumed by user
7/29/2012 9:54:39 PM | Milkyway@Home | update requested by user
7/29/2012 9:54:42 PM | Milkyway@Home | Fetching scheduler list
7/29/2012 9:54:43 PM | Milkyway@Home | Master file download succeeded
7/29/2012 9:54:48 PM | Milkyway@Home | Sending scheduler request: Requested by user.
7/29/2012 9:54:48 PM | Milkyway@Home | Reporting 23 completed tasks, requesting new tasks for ATI
7/29/2012 9:54:50 PM | Milkyway@Home | Scheduler request completed: got 20 new tasks
7/29/2012 9:54:52 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17126413_2 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 0
7/29/2012 9:54:52 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17136681_0 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 1
7/29/2012 9:54:52 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_15410714_1 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 2
7/29/2012 9:54:52 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17110430_1 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 3
7/29/2012 9:54:54 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17126413_2 finished
7/29/2012 9:54:54 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17133494_1 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 0
7/29/2012 9:54:55 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17136681_0 finished
7/29/2012 9:54:55 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_15410714_1 finished
7/29/2012 9:54:55 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17110430_1 finished
7/29/2012 9:54:55 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17133506_1 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 1
7/29/2012 9:54:55 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17120404_1 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 2
7/29/2012 9:54:55 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17136676_0 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 3
7/29/2012 9:54:56 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17133494_1 finished
7/29/2012 9:54:56 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17136680_0 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 0
7/29/2012 9:54:58 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17133506_1 finished
7/29/2012 9:54:58 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17120404_1 finished
7/29/2012 9:54:58 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17136676_0 finished
7/29/2012 9:54:58 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17121078_2 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 1
7/29/2012 9:54:58 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17031907_1 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 2
7/29/2012 9:54:58 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_10291334_2 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 3
7/29/2012 9:54:59 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17136680_0 finished
7/29/2012 9:54:59 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17136001_1 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 0
7/29/2012 9:55:00 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17121078_2 finished
7/29/2012 9:55:00 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17031907_1 finished
7/29/2012 9:55:00 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_10291334_2 finished
7/29/2012 9:55:00 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17117693_1 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 1
7/29/2012 9:55:00 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17031266_2 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 2
7/29/2012 9:55:00 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17136677_0 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 3
7/29/2012 9:55:01 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17136001_1 finished
7/29/2012 9:55:01 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17133496_1 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 0
7/29/2012 9:55:02 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17117693_1 finished
7/29/2012 9:55:02 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17031266_2 finished
7/29/2012 9:55:02 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17136677_0 finished
7/29/2012 9:55:02 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17130617_1 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 1
7/29/2012 9:55:02 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17066732_2 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 2
7/29/2012 9:55:02 PM | Milkyway@Home | Starting task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17133493_1 using milkyway version 102 (ati14ati) in slot 3
7/29/2012 9:55:03 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17133496_1 finished
7/29/2012 9:55:04 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task de_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17130617_1 finished
7/29/2012 9:55:04 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17066732_2 finished
7/29/2012 9:55:04 PM | Milkyway@Home | Computation for task ps_separation_09_2s_sample_2_1341007502_17133493_1 finished

Last edited:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
thanks for posting that info. the errors that show up in the "without app_info" event log are just the tasks you had previously downloaded with the app_info.xml file in place. when you removed the app_info.xml file and restarted BOINC, those tasks error out. this is the consequence of either adding or removing an app_info.xml file before crunching through the remainder of the project cache (i mentioned this side effect in the 2nd part of post #8. to make a long story short, the "state file error" and the subsequent list of erred tasks is completely normal if you either added or removed an app_info.xml file before crunching through any remaining tasks in the queue.

the lines in your event log that concern me the most are the following (and i think we very well may have found the root of your problem here):
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | ATI GPU 0: AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (Cayman) (CAL version 1.4.1741, 1024MB, 992MB available, 5632 GFLOPS peak)
7/29/2012 9:56:13 PM | | ATI GPU 1: AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (Cayman) (CAL version 1.4.1741, 1024MB, 992MB available, 5632 GFLOPS peak)
...and here's how those same lines read on my dual AMD GPU host:
7/29/2012 4:27:06 PM | | ATI GPU 0: Cayman (CAL version 1.4.1720, 2048MB, 2016MB available, 6758 GFLOPS peak)
7/29/2012 4:27:06 PM | | ATI GPU 1: Cypress (CAL version 1.4.1720, 2048MB, 2015MB available, 5440 GFLOPS peak)
7/29/2012 4:27:06 PM | | ATI GPU 2: (not used) ATI Radeon HD 2300/2400/3200 (RV610) (CAL version 1.4.1720, 368MB, 336MB available, 112 GFLOPS peak)
7/29/2012 4:27:06 PM | | OpenCL: ATI GPU 0: Cayman (driver version CAL 1.4.1720 (VM), device version OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (923.1), 2048MB, 2016MB available)
7/29/2012 4:27:06 PM | | OpenCL: ATI GPU 1: Cypress (driver version CAL 1.4.1720 (VM), device version OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (923.1), 2048MB, 2015MB available)
my first 2 lines have a slightly different format than yours do, but i believe that's simply due to the fact that my GPUs are built on 2 different architectures (i have an HD 5870 built on the VLIW5 architecture, and an HD 6950 built on the VLIW4 architecture). if i had 2 HD 5870s, or 2 HD 6950s, instead of one of each, those 2 lines in my event log would probably look identical to yours. now, this has nothing to do with the problem at hand - i just wanted to clarify for you what my GPU configuration is since those lines in my event log don't specify it.

the 3rd line your seen in the section i cut and pasted from my event log (the ATI GPU 2 that isn't being used by BOINC) is actually my motherboards integrated HD 4290 GPU that i use strictly for display purposes - that way i never get GUI lag, and my 5870 and 6950 can be dedicated to crunching 24/7.

and finally, the important part (lines 4 & 5), which specify which GPUs have OpenCL support. the big problem here is that your BOINC event log isn't showing OpenCL support for your GPUs, even though they are most definitely OpenCL-capable. i know i said earlier that trying different drivers might not be necessary b/c you aren't having problems crunching 1 task at a time (without the app_info.xml file). but the simple fact that BOINC isn't showing OpenCL support for your GPUs in either case (either with or without an app_info.xml file in place) makes me think that you should try some different drivers now. i would recommend completely uninstalling v12.6 (or whatever version you're suing right now) and install Catalyst v12.4 drivers, as they seem to work just fine for me. that isn't to say that the v12.6 drivers aren't working for some people, but it very well may be the reason for your BOINC manager's lack of OpenCL detection.

also, if you could, please go back to your MW@H preferences on your account page and make your computer viewable to the public again. i don't know how it got changed, but they seem to be hidden again, and i need to look at your dual-6950 machine and its tasks one more time to confirm some things.

Reno33

Jul 26, 2012
It should appear. However now the good news.... ITS FIXED !!

You nailed it with the 12.4 drivers. I uninstalled the 12.6 and got the 12.4 in, copied the app_info.xml over, and now its working 2X jobs per GPU. You can hear the difference as well. Much louder as the fans kicked in. :)

Thanks a bunch Sunny129 !

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
that's so strange that your computers still appear "hidden" when i go to your MW@H user page. not that it matters anymore, now that you've got everything up and running properly...

i'm glad we were able to get to the bottom of this. given the infinite number of hardware/software configurations that exist out there, its no surprise that only certain Catalyst driver versions work with very specific combinations of BOINC version, project application version, and OS.

Reno33

Jul 26, 2012
Here is the info from the view computers, GPU section:
[2] AMD AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (Cayman) (1024MB) driver: 1.4.1720

I expect the MW numbers to increase greatly with the running 2X per gpu. Like I mentioned the difference is at once audible.

Thanks again