Manatee's taken off the endangered list.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
http://www.pressherald.com/2017/03/31/manatees-have-been-taken-off-endangered-list/

Manatees – those comically blimp-like “sea cows” whose gentle, lumbering ways also made them susceptible to the threats that nearly killed them off as a species – are no longer endangered.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced Thursday that it would downgrade the West Indian manatee from “endangered” to “threatened” under the Endangered Species Act.

The reclassification marked an astounding rebound for the animals, which hovered on the brink of extinction when they were first listed as endangered in 1973. Then, only a few hundred manatees remained. Today, there are an estimated 6,620 Florida manatees, a subspecies of the West Indian manatee, according to the Fish and Wildlife Service.

Great to see the sea cows getting back to healthy numbers.

Sounds to me like they are getting ready for grilling season:

MdufHt5.jpg

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Are we still allowed to say oh the huge manatees?
Oh, the huge personatee? Oh, the personatee of proper size for that individual based on that individual personatee's perception filtered by that individual's life experiences?

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Once they re-introduced the Manatee into Wyoming and the population began to prosper, it was only a matter of time. Now there's even a limited hunting season on them. Great news for everyone, including the big game hunter.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorcorps

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Once they re-introduced the Manatee into Wyoming and the population began to prosper, it was only a matter of time. There's now even a limited hunting season on them in Wyoming. Great news for everyone, including the big game hunter.
It's times like this when I miss the thumbs up emoji.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I almost hooked one while fishing off Ponce inlet, it actually swam around the jetty and was grazing on some vegetation on a rock right in front of me. At first I thought it WAS a rock till it started moving, a crab had stolen my bait and I was in the process of reeling my line back in. God only knows the fine for injuring one. Most of the damage is done by boat propellers so they put up strict speed limits much to the annoyance of boater's.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Once they re-introduced the Manatee into Wyoming and the population began to prosper, it was only a matter of time. There's now even a limited hunting season on them in Wyoming. Great news for everyone, including the big game hunter.
Hunting manatees doesn't feel right. They're just floating around munching seaweed and the hunter comes right up and stabs them in the neck.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'm here just because apostrophe police, but it's clear that there's nothing to see here, move on people.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Once they re-introduced the Manatee into Wyoming and the population began to prosper, it was only a matter of time. Now there's even a limited hunting season on them. Great news for everyone, including the big game hunter.

what the hell--what kind of dipstick hunts a manatee? lulz. Things just graze around the bottom and float to the top and lumber on.

where's the sport, and what's the point?

....that being said, my first reaction to this thread was: Great, now when can we start grilling these things? :D

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
It's either hunt them or have them get so out of control that they begin to negatively affect the elk and deer populations. The wolves in Wyoming love them (slow animals, easily hunted by a small wolf pack), but you have to try to keep a balance.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's either hunt them or have them get so out of control that they begin to negatively affect the elk and deer populations. The wolves in Wyoming love them (slow animals, easily hunted by a small wolf pack), but you have to try to keep a balance.

....at first I was like "manatee in Wyoming, wtf?" and then you talked about hunting manatee, and I was still "wtf?" ...and now you're like, "wolves love to hunt manatee" and "manatee threaten elk and deer" and I remain: "WTF?"

Reactions: VirtualLarry

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
....at first I was like "manatee in Wyoming, wtf?" and then you talked about hunting manatee, and I was still "wtf?" ...and now you're like, "wolves love to hunt manatee" and "manatee threaten elk and deer" and I remain: "WTF?"
umm, he said it for lulz. Obviously, the trappers in the 1840's almost killed them off because of their fur.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Are these the things sailors used to call mermaids?dunno.lack of females will have that effect i suppose.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

Are you that dense, or are you still missing the original joke?

Carson Dyle deserves more respect for his post than to be lost in the abyss of your ignorance...

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've been farm raising manatees for years. They make great lawn mowers. Oh sweet manatee meat.