Man sues WNBA for refusing tryout. Hilarious quotes within.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
http://www.hoosiergazette.com/Sports/sports019.htm

Man denied tryout with WNBA?s Fever sues league

By Jed Wilcox, THG Sports

A 38 year-old Indianapolis man is suing the Women?s National Basketball Association for the league?s refusal to allow him to tryout for the Indiana Fever, the league?s Indianapolis-based franchise.

John Massie, a forklift driver for a local Home Depot, claims his civil rights were violated when the WNBA refused him a tryout. David Isaacs, Massie?s lawyer, says the refusal is a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. ?Section 703 of the act states it is against the law to fail or refuse to hire an individual because of his or her race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. The only reason Mr. Massie was refused a tryout was because of his sex. The WNBA clearly violated Mr. Massie?s rights, and if they do not allow a tryout, they can expect to pay him a considerable settlement.?

WNBA commissioner Val Ackerman refused to comment on the matter when contacted by THG. The league is expected to fight Massie in court over keeping the league female-only.

Apparently the 5-foot-9 Massie got the idea to try out for the Fever after taking his 12 year-old daughter to a game last season. ?I was a reserve on my high school basketball team and hadn?t touched a basketball in probably 15 years, but after seeing the quality of basketball in the WNBA, I decided to tryout. I would compare the competition to 7th grade boys? basketball. I see it as an easy way to make forty grand by working a couple hours a day. I have been shooting around the last couple of months at the YMCA to get ready for the season.?

Legal experts are not optimistic that Massie will win his lawsuit. Massie is a white male, and will not receive the special treatment a minority or female would if the circumstances were reversed. ?I guarantee if a woman wanted to try out for the NBA, they would let her without batting an eye,? said Issacs.

Added Massie, ?I really don?t understand why the WNBA is making such a big fuss about letting me tryout. I bet half those so-called girls on the team have bigger schlongs than I?ve got.?

The case is set to go to federal court April 2, just over a month before the WNBA season starts.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
FINALLY SOMEONE DID IT!!!

I've been saying that they should call the NBA the MNBA to eliminate women from joining. And its not that crazy. Women have made it to professional hockey teams.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
its funny cause its true!

anyone who claims wnba games are fun to watch are either delusional or liars. hahaha 7th grade boys basketball

ROFL

billobob

Feb 12, 2004
Well, I think you really do have to be 50 to be on the seniors tour... now, I'd like to see an 80 year old woman join. :D

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: billobob
Well, I think you really do have to be 50 to be on the seniors tour... now, I'd like to see an 80 year old woman join. :D

Still illegal to not get a job because of age.. technically.. i dont think you'll see 25 year olds on the senior tour any time soon.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
Originally posted by: Kev
fake?

Pretty much everything on that site is a fake. Read the disclaimer.

Thank God. At first I was just getting pissed at how retarded this guy is then I saw the schlongs comment and got suspicious because credible news outfits would not print that.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
its not like you'd be able to pick the man out from the team by sight anyways:)

You sir, are correct. (In many instances at least).

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
DISCLAIMER

The Hoosier Gazette is a satirical newspaper published by The Hoosier Gazette

The Hoosier Gazette uses invented names in all its stories, except in cases when public figures are being satirized. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental.

The content of this website graphics, text and other elements is © Copyright 2003 by The Hoosier Gazette, and may not be republished or retransmitted in whole or in part without the express written consent of the publisher.

The Hoosier Gazette is not intended for readers under 18 years of age.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: glen
DISCLAIMER

The Hoosier Gazette is a satirical newspaper published by The Hoosier Gazette

The Hoosier Gazette uses invented names in all its stories, except in cases when public figures are being satirized. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental.

The content of this website graphics, text and other elements is © Copyright 2003 by The Hoosier Gazette, and may not be republished or retransmitted in whole or in part without the express written consent of the publisher.

The Hoosier Gazette is not intended for readers under 18 years of age.

The schlong line probably should have been a tip off. I didn't bother to read beyond the hilarity. ;)