Man shoplifts, gets paid half a mil

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That is simply insane. Hopefully it is overturned on appeal.

Although I can understand how a broken ankle could severely impact his income as a shoplifter . . .

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
On Wednesday, a jury stunned even the admitted thief, awarding him a $510,000 verdict for the broken ankle.
While it was the biggest, the windfall wasn’t Jarman’s first payout from the city. He sued the NYPD in 2005 for false arrest after a drug-sale rap was dropped. The city settled for $15,000. Jarman, 50, took the cops to court again in November 2013 for false arrest on another drug rap that was dropped, and the city settled that case last month for $20,000.
o_O

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
i actually agree with this verdict. the law is the law. the guy was a kriminul but that doesnt give some cop the right to break someones leg, punch their teeth in etc...you guys do realize that, right?

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
i actually agree with this verdict. the law is the law. the guy was a kriminul but that doesnt give some cop the right to break someones leg, punch their teeth in etc...you guys do realize that, right?

agreed.

some super cop decides to go over the top and snap an ankle, someone has to be accountable.

obviously not the cop cause he's a cop but taxpayers...

that seems inherently wrong doesn't it.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Have to agree with this.

The correct punishment for shoplifting is to cut off his hand not break his ankle.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

What's a kriminul? I'm not familiar with that word.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
The personal liability of store employees apprehending a shoplifting suspect is why most stores will prohibit normal employees from interfering and leave the detention and arrests to loss prevention, store security or the cops. So the cop arresting him was sued for the injury, not the store in this case. And this injury award can still be appealed by the city, and will likely be drastically reduced in the process.

“We are going to fight this verdict,” vowed senior city lawyer Muriel Goode-Trufant.
http://nypost.com/2014/07/17/crook-wins-suit-against-nypd-for-broken-ankle-during-arrest/

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
okay i hope u dont mind ur tax dollars going to pay these types of lawsuits

I don't mind at all, because when this goes to appeals, he will be forced to settle for a lot less because he won't be able to afford a lengthy appeals process and added legal fees if he likely fails before the appeals court, and gets the judgement completely thrown out. He will likely settle for around 50k or 10% of the jury award, and his injury lawyer will get a nice 30% chunk of that, plus his medical bills might be paid as part of the settlement.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Outrage not found - especially in these forums.

Most of you piss all over yourselves in rage when a cop so much as sneezes in the general direction of someone.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Outrage not found - especially in these forums.

Most of you piss all over yourselves in rage when a cop so much as sneezes in the general direction of someone.

I think most people get angry when they see cops do evil shit. Especially when the cop inevitably gets away with it. I have yet to see anyone get angry when a cop sneezes in the general direction of somebody but you go ahead and keep building your straw men if it helps you feel persecuted. What I don't understand is how someone like yourself DOESN'T get angry when cops do evil shit. How are you always OK with whatever they do no matter what?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
In the shoplift case, Jarman claimed that 5-foot-5 Sgt. Samuel Morales approached him inside Pathmark after a store clerk reported a theft. The suit said the cop was intimidated by the 6-foot-2 Jarman.
Morales “appeared to be afraid of Plaintiff because of his size” before slapping on handcuffs but quickly turned nasty once he was safely shackled, said the suit.
Jarman told Morales to loosen the cuffs, but the cop yanked on them instead and caused the towering unemployed chef to tumble over, papers state.
The suit claimed that Jarman couldn’t steady himself because Morales had his boot purposefully holding his foot in place.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/17/crook-wins-suit-against-nypd-for-broken-ankle-during-arrest/

The guy didnt break his ankle by his own doing. It happened because the cop stood on his foot, and pushed the guy. So, what should have been a simple arrest, turned into a lawsuit that the people had to pay for. Annoying.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
agreed.

some super cop decides to go over the top and snap an ankle, someone has to be accountable.

obviously not the cop cause he's a cop but taxpayers...

that seems inherently wrong doesn't it.

I should be a cop. I get to do whatever the hell I want, never get fired, never get fined, nothing. See a homeless guy I don't like? Let's taze him until he's dead. Pull over a young man for a traffic violation? Let's shoot him in the back of the head while he's handcuffed (Chavis Carter).

Why is it always the taxpayer getting screwed? It's never the person actually doing something illegal, such as assaulting a handcuffed person.