Man plays out Civ II game for 10 years ... Sid Meier comments!

MH2007

Jun 26, 2007
Man plays out a continuous game of Civ II for 10 years (to 3991 A.D.), posts about it on Reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uxpil/ive_been_playing_the_same_game_of_civilization_ii

I've been playing the same game of Civ II for 10 years. Though long outdated, I grew fascinated with this particular game because by the time Civ III was released, I was already well into the distant future. I then thought that it might be interesting to see just how far into the future I could get and see what the ramifications would be. Naturally I play other games and have a life, but I often return to this game when I'm not doing anything and carry on. The results are as follows.

• The world is a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation.
  • There are 3 remaining super nations in the year 3991 A.D, each competing for the scant resources left on the planet after dozens of nuclear wars have rendered vast swaths of the world uninhabitable wastelands.
It continues on (ice caps melting over 20 times due to repeated nuclear attacks, 90% of the worlds population dying out, continuous war lasting over 1000 years) and has about 200 comments so far!

In this article on CNN Sid Meier comments!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/18/tech/gaming-gadgets/civilization-ii-ten-years/index.html

"Civilization" franchise creator Sid Meier said developers never even thought about someone taking a "Civ" game this far into the future.

"There's no way we could have tested for this, so it was a surprise to us," Meier said. "I can't say that we ever thought anyone would play a game of 'Civ' for that long. It's exciting that a fan of the series would dedicate 10 years to playing one continuous game."

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
That's pretty cool. It's great that he documented it.

I have some SimCity4 regions that I've been playing for 6 or 7 years...Will Wright are you reading this? :D

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I love how the Americans are one of the three Civs left in his game.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
10 yrs? I could beat civ 2 in a week with abusive tactics like surounding a conquered city with bombers. Seriously civ2 and Alpha C were good but major issues compared to Civ 4 and on - don't see how a man could be addicted.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I have a sim family that i have been playing for around 5 years and a simcity4 city too. I donno why i typed in all that but i just wanted to cos it feels good to show off. :)

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The article doesn't say, but does that mean he's had the same computer running for ten years without a significant hardware crash? That, in itself, is amazing.

It's funny I spent a lot of time playing Civ II and barely touched any of the later versions myself.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
10 yrs? I could beat civ 2 in a week with abusive tactics like surounding a conquered city with bombers. Seriously civ2 and Alpha C were good but major issues compared to Civ 4 and on - don't see how a man could be addicted.

Read the interview with him.

He set out to play this as a real society and try to play it morally and smart without just conquering all.

Also he is now so far into the future that resources are scarce, and armys are small so conquerering may take much time.

And he hasn't played 10 years straight, or even 10 years total time. Its just he plays on and off once in a while as a time filler and the game he started was 10 years ago.