Man, losing weight SUCKS.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: crt1530
Originally posted by: cashman
Originally posted by: SampSon
Muscle weighs more than fat, and you should probably hit the cardio a lot harder.

I've been increasing the time and intensity level every week. Again, I started on level 1 and I'm on level 4 going into 5 now. I don't know how much time I should put into it, but I've been putting 15 to 20 minutes each day into it. Should I go longer?

If you are doing basic cardio workouts (not interval training), you should be going at least 30 minutes. Post your diet so we can make recommendations. For many people who are working out for the first time and have never had much muscle mass to speak of, looking in the miror is usually a better way to gauge your body transformation (instead of a scale).

Umm, here's my diet right now. Please don't laugh...that's why I said earlier my diet is the one that's holding me back

Breakfast: Cereal (Cinamon Toast Crunch (DEFINITELY CUTTING THAT OUT) or Rasin Bran) or Protein Shake

Mid-Morning: Orange, Apple or a Oatmeal Rasin Granola bar

Lunch: Subway Tuna or Grilled Chicken (sometimes with cheese and mayo, but I try not to), sometimes Steak Escape (CUTTING THIS OUT)

Mid-Afternoon: Another granola bar, Reduced Fat Wheat Thins (favorite snack out of them all)

Dinner: Grilled Chicken w/ rice; (last week I had Pizza :eek:); Grilled Tilapia...something always with Chicken or some kind of meat.

I work out around 8 or 9 at night. Workouts are about 30 to 1 hour depending on what I do that day. After the workout I try to make a protein shake but recently I haven't been because I've been pissed off.

Things I do eat sometimes that I will be cutting out next week:
Cocoa Puffs for breakfast
Pizza
Alcohol (no more beer :( )

I have NOT eaten any candy, chocolate and I may of had 2 or 3 sodas in the past two months. I'm trying my best and since I'm confused, don't expect anything out of my diet plan. I just didn't know what to eat and I get frustrated. Thanks again for the help.

You're definatly taking in a lot of carbs. You might want to modify that. Try to eat more steamed veggies.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
I do not recommend a strict diet at first, but by all means cut out all uneccesary carbs and fat and drink lots of water.
Just do what you're doing now for a few months while exercising like a mo-fo.
Then, start to conciously cut the calories and keep exercising.
Later when approaching the ideal weight, cut down on the excercisng slowly but still walk a little after you last meal at nite.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
You need considerably more protein and fiber in your diet. Protein & fiber are the best combination for facilitating fat loss.

Your best bet would simply to remove all processed foods from your diet. Basically, that includes almost anything that doesn't come in it's natural form. It's a much simpler approach than thinking about carbs all the time. Just eat clean. You can't go wrong, assuming you don't gorge or starve yourself.

cressida

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2000
Your diet seems similar to what my friend uses:
8:00 am Protein shake - Whey Protein
10:30am 3 Egg whites
1:30pm 3oz chicken breast + 1 cup of brown rice and fruit or vegetables
4:30 1 - 2 packs of oatmeal
7:30 1 or 2 cans of tuna (can eat with crackers) fruist and vegetables
10:30 Protein shake

Bed time. For the days you work out a pre workout meal is recommended.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
when you say subway, do you mean footlong tuna/chicken? You are aware that a single footlong tuna has half the calories you need to take in each day?

anyway, I would suggest cutting back the portions (if you need 2100 a day, try to take in 1800 for example). But much more importantly, do more cardio. I started out with 25 mins and now I'm up to 45 (at a higher resistance too). Wheres before I barely reached 500cals, now its 1100+ easily (that doesn't mean I actually burn that much, because the computer's way of calculating cals is probably inaccurate. But its a good way to measure the relative amount of work done).

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
when you say subway, do you mean footlong tuna/chicken? You are aware that a single footlong tuna has half the calories you need to take in each day?

anyway, I would suggest cutting back the portions (if you need 2100 a day, try to take in 1800 for example). But much more importantly, do more cardio. I started out with 25 mins and now I'm up to 45 (at a higher resistance too). Wheres before I barely reached 500cals, now its 1100+ easily (that doesn't mean I actually burn that much, because the computer's way of calculating cals is probably inaccurate. But its a good way to measure the relative amount of work done).

Yes, footlong...no I did not know that. :Q It's just so hard to eat at work and school when there's only Subway, Steak Escape, Sbarros and Wendys on campus and work. I do also eat Ceasar Salads at Sbarros but it just doesn't fill me up, I have to eat a slice of pizza with it.

Thanks for the tips guys.

ntrights

Mar 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Capone
Can someone explain why it is best to do the cardio in the morning before you eat? I've seen it stated a few times but never got an explanation.
Kick starts the methabolism. Energy needs to be taken from somewhere, fat is the last the body will look for energy since its slow to process. so if you dont eat any thing before exercise or rather if you eat right stuff then you can learn the body to actually use the fat as energy source without losing energy..not easy though

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
i recently went back to the gym to get in shape for summer (beer > me :() anyway.. i started the first week of january and have lost a total of 12lbs, in fat i would assume, although i never had my body fat measured before i started doing this. all my weights have gone up atleast 2x, i just got back from the gym like 5 min ago where i did a 4x8 rep of 145 on the flat bench, when i started it was a 3x8 of 80lbs.

basically i eat one time a day, around 2-3 (when i get done with class). normally a sammich of some sort (tuna normally, or smoked turkey breast). i really haven't cut out all the food that i love to eat, i still eat pizza and chinese take out a few times a month, and still drink beer 1-2 nights a month.

protein shakes are your best friend. i drink a 40g protein shake 2-3 times a day, depending on how hard i worked out, along with that yogurt, either the nourishe (sp?) or just the stuff you eat with a spoon. so on a normal on day my meals would be like
breakfast: 40g protein, yogurt, multivitamine (nourishe on the way to class in the car)
lunch: sammich
1-2 hours before the gym: 40g protein
30 min before the gym: 20g creatine
1 hr after gym (dinner): 40g protein
just before bed: multivitamine

water water water... i probably drink around a gallon a day atleast.

when you work out, do you have a lifting partner that comes with? if yes, make sure you push yourself, if your panting when you get done with a set, your doing it right :). between the amount of energy your body needs and what it needs to repair your muscles you'll start buring more calories. iirc, 30 min high intensity weight training > 30 min cardio.

imo, cardio is a waste of time. from experience i've noticed that what works is just spending 2hrs with weights 6 times a week. it seems like a lot but if your really serious you'll make time for it (m/w/f when i have class all day i don't get to the gym till 9ish and don't get home till 1130 but it's definatly worth it :) )

if you want a better explanation of the workouts we do, send me a pm :)

edit: sorry didn't see your diet you listed... instead of the mid morning granola bar and the mid afternoon one, have a protein shake. if you must eat 3 meals a day, instead of rice at dinner switch it up with steamed vegatables or something like that. the subway isn't so bad, probably one of the better places to get fast food as long as you go without the mayo/oil/any of the sauces they offer :p

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: ntrights
Originally posted by: Capone
Can someone explain why it is best to do the cardio in the morning before you eat? I've seen it stated a few times but never got an explanation.
Kick starts the methabolism. Energy needs to be taken from somewhere, fat is the last the body will look for energy since its slow to process. so if you dont eat any thing before exercise or rather if you eat right stuff then you can learn the body to actually use the fat as energy source without losing energy..not easy though

This is somewhat true, but clarification is in order. First of all, just because you get your heart rate up during exercise, It doesn't mean your metabolism is any faster. Don't associate metabolism with heart rate. They are two completely different things. Secondly, it's somewhat of a falacy that the body is depleted of glycogen in the morning, thus a cardio session first thing in the morning will immediately tap into fat stores. The truth is, your body stores sugar in the form of glycogen in muscles, and in your liver. It's easy to deplete muscle glycogen, but depleting liver glycogen is more difficult; and it's not until liver glycogen is nearly depleted before your body is basically forced to use fat as fuel. The typical person has about 300 grams of glycogen in their livers alone. Although you have a better chance of tapping into a greater percentage of your fat stores with morning exercise, the truth is that you will still be burning a moderate percentage of glycogen (sugar). Overall, I still recommend morning cardio.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Actually it's really stupid to exercise in the morning, all it dose is fule your hunger, and while it's effective, being hungry and insanely dehydrated is not.

Eat NO bread or complex cards whatsoever, buy yourself a 10 pound back of 100% whey chocolate and live off Chicken breasts, mustard and protein shake with tons of water.

Also note that your scale wont budge if your doing weights/cardio, if anything you'll gain, but it'll be muscle. You can't loose weight quickly eating any carb rich foods unless your starving yourself.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: BD231
Actually it's really stupid to exercise in the morning, all it dose is fule your hunger, and while it's effective, being hungry and insanely dehydrated is not.

Eat NO bread or complex cards whatsoever, buy yourself a 10 pound back of 100% whey chocolate and live off Chicken breasts, mustard and protein shake with tons of water.

Also note that your scale wont budge if your doing weights/cardio, if anything you'll gain, but it'll be muscle. You can't loose weight quickly eating any carb rich foods unless your starving yourself.

Wost advise (and spelling) ever!

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
its really simple

i dont know why people complicate things with atkins and all that this mumbo jumbo

consume less
expend more

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Rudee

Yeah so I can't spell. You should eat greens as well of course and no it's not bad advice, I've lost a sh*t load of weight doing this and it keeps you 100% healthy.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001

what he said :)

imo working out at night is the best, aside from being able to sleep well and the gym usually being empty :)

protein is a must, i go through 2x 4lbs containers and a 2lb container in a month. they are nasty at first, mix them with less water (2 scoops + 16-18oz room temp water) and chug. then drink water so you don't have that nasty protein lump feeling in your gut.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
To be honest I used to weigh 350, I'm 200 now and the ladies love the looks. Here is how I eat every day when trying to drop a few pounds:

Morning: 2 to 3 scoops of 100% Whey Protein with 4 cups of water and maybe a piece of chicken or if I'm not in the mood just the shake.

Lunch: 1 scoop of the 100% Whey with a 2 cups of water and 2 pieces of chicken (baked chicken breast really give you energy, and it's easy to make in bulk if your lazy like me)

After work: (Around 5:30) I have 2 scoops of whey with 4 cups of water and maybe a piece of chicken. After that I go out and jog a mile then hit the cardio bike for and hour.

Dinner: This is where you feel the need for some energy. I usually have a piece or two of red meat with some salad and cooked Brocolli for fiber and I might add a piece of chicken if I work out super hard.

Right Before bed: I drink 1 scoop of 100% whey with 2 cups of water

The trick for me is making sure my body is fed with the nutrients it needs while keeping calories low, I've found the best way to do this is to snack eat throughout the day if you can so you and REALLY digest what you eat. I don't eat bread, rice, potato or anything like that when loosing weight.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Originally posted by: stev0

imo working out at night is the best, aside from being able to sleep well and the gym usually being empty :)

protein is a must, i go through 2x 4lbs containers and a 2lb container in a month. they are nasty at first, mix them with less water (2 scoops + 16-18oz room temp water) and chug. then drink water so you don't have that nasty protein lump feeling in your gut.

100% Why by Optimum tastes GREAT man, you should try it.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: stev0

100% Why by Optimum tastes GREAT man, you should try it.

nitrotech personally :)

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Rudee

Yeah so I can't spell. You should eat greens as well of course and no it's not bad advice, I've lost a sh*t load of weight doing this and it keeps you 100% healthy.

It's a clean diet, but it's missing vital nutrients. Not to mention that chicken breast and protein shakes don't contain a lot of calories. If I ate chicken breast 3 times daily, combined with 3 protein shakes, I doubt the entire caloric intake would be over 1400 calories. When you combine this extremely low calorie intake with the loss of calores from intense excercise, you will throw your body into starvation mode, thus your body will use its own muscle to fuel itself. Sure, you will lose weight, but your overall body composition is not favorably changed. Protein shakes are supplements, not meal replacements. You really need plenty of grean leafy veggies with this kind of diet, and essential fatty acids, or you're in big trouble.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
you eat cocoa puffs, pizza, and drink alcohol and wonder why you don't lose weight. it isn't a mystery, dude. there are some good things at subway, I have a 6" chicken breast on wheat now and then. stay away from the tuna and the foot long subs in general, they're loaded with calories and too much for one meal. if you must, have 6" for lunch and the rest around mid afternoon.

I recommend a super strict diet when you're first getting started. then there's no question of how much junk food you can have, the answer is none. BUT do treat yourself once a week to a meal of whatever the hell you want.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Rudee,

It's a fuggin diet that works man, chill out. It works because your giving your body something to work with all through the day. I wouldn't dream of eating like this 24/7 for the rest of my life, it's just an effective way of droping wheight while keeping energy levels up and hunger pains down.

I take vitamins, CLAcids and eat all kinds of different stuff. He said he wanted to drop a few pounds, I told him how I do it.