Man I'm getting nervous.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
man, ~40 min of interview, 4 people asking questions and i couldn't even tell which guy was asking cause they all sounded the same.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: bradruth
Just think about the interview I'm going to have to go in for in the next couple weeks...a panel interview for a police department consisting of a Lieutenant, a couple Sergeants, a few officers, and a human resources representative from City Hall. They'll be asking me about any "questionable" results from my polygraph, my background, and putting me on the spot with "situational" questions. You should be so lucky as to have a phone interview! :|

;)

They actually gave you a polygraph?
What a joke.
Polygraphs should be banned from being used for anything. They are totally worthless.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Shanti
Just think about the interview I'm going to have to go in for in the next couple weeks...a panel interview for a police department consisting of a Lieutenant, a couple Sergeants, a few officers, and a human resources representative from City Hall. They'll be asking me about any "questionable" results from my polygraph, my background, and putting me on the spot with "situational" questions. You should be so lucky as to have a phone interview! :|

;)

What a joke.
Polygraphs should be banned from being used for anything. They are totally worthless.

Yes they did. I agree that they shouldn't be used...it's all voodoo science. They might work in some cases, but there's too much disparity for them to be successfully consistent.

Edit: Here's a description.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Kev
so how did it go?

Well it was 40 min. of questions which everyone i've talked to so far thinks is a long time. There were some trick questions in there, they asked some pretty detail oriented stuff, I feel like I failed a final or something like that...

At the end they said they would call.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001

;)

What a joke.

Yes they did. I agree that they shouldn't be used...it's all voodoo science. They might work in some cases, but there's too much disparity for them to be successfully consistent.

Unfortunately it is pretty tough to find a job in any law enforcement capacity that does not use the polygraph in pre-employment interviewing/screening.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002

;)

What a joke.

It may be easily beatable, but most people who have a polygraph done don't bother trying to learn how to beat it, or just don't have the kind of control it needs to keep everything relatively the same (breathing rate, pulse rate, sweat rate...). Plus, for most people I bet it's the first time having a polygraph done, so even if they learned how to defeat it, they would be nervous and forget things they were not supposed to do.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Savij
Originally posted by: Kev
so how did it go?

Well it was 40 min. of questions which everyone i've talked to so far thinks is a long time. There were some trick questions in there, they asked some pretty detail oriented stuff, I feel like I failed a final or something like that...

At the end they said they would call.

40 min sounds like a long time to me. I've had a few phone interviews recently and the longest was 25 min. They probably recorded you too if it makes you feel any better. :) When I got an on-site interview other people were asking me questions about things I said on the phone. I didn't really like it, but I ended up getting the job.

You probably did pretty well if it lasted 40 min. If you really failed, it probably would've been much shorter. Good luck.

Hankysmoo

Golden Member
May 27, 2000
Just curious but what kinda questions did they ask you?

Oh yeah, good luck with landing the job!

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Let us know when they call. 40 minutes is a long time they must have heard something they liked.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Lithium381
40 minutes REALLY or it felt like that long?

wow, good luck!

thanks, it was between 35 and 40 min. I didn't check the exact time it stopped so i could be off by 5 min or so

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Hankysmoo
Just curious but what kinda questions did they ask you?

Oh yeah, good luck with landing the job!

They asked me to talk about projects i had done, then asked specific questions (was a windows installer program) like what functions and libraries i used. They asked stuff about java class inheritance, and...basically it was a lot of my CS tests rolled into one nerve racking phone call.

I just wish I had my real programming classes more recently...I hadn't seen some of the stuff in 2 and 3 years so I couldn't remember all the details and i felt like a piece of sh!t by the end of it cause i felt like i didn't have anything to show after 4 years of college...wait i feel like that every day :)

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Man, I was playing call of duty for the last two hours to forget the interview and then my friend messaged me to tell me the thread was alive again...got find another way to relax before going to bed...

thanks for the humor, the tips on how to relax and the wish of good luck...

Oh yeah! Aharami, I thought your suggestion about water was a good idea. i got the water ready and everything and then I got too worked up about not knowing stuff in the interview and the questions were one after the other so I completely forgot about it...

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: lancestorm
How did it go?

I take it you didn't read the thread. It was long, nerve-racking, and I felt like a dumb little b!tch by the end of it. It's my first interview for a REAL job, and my first technical interview so I don't know exactly what to make of it.