Man fired for 50 year old 10cent crime...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Eh, this isn't new. I work in insurance and every state I know of has a similar law stating that if someone has ever been convicted of a confidence crime then they are ineligible to get an insurance license.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
i agree. he stole a wash back before man had landed on the moon. if i were him, i would find a legal way to fight this. there has to be an wrongful termination suit there... sure seems like it anyway

I don't think there are grounds for wrongful termination. The company is simply following regulations. Also, if it's an at-will employment state they can fire him for any reason other than those specifically prohibited by law (race, age and so forth).

Oct 16, 1999
I don't think there are grounds for wrongful termination. The company is simply following regulations. Also, if it's an at-will employment state they can fire him for any reason other than those specifically prohibited by law (race, age and so forth).

"Simply following regulations" my ass.
Buchanan says the big banks typically handle the waivers for executives and mid-level employees, but low-level workers like Eggers are given an FDIC phone number and sent packing.
It's not fun to try and demonize evil banks, it's just apparent when you talk about them in any frank manner.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
This sounds reasonable. So long as the political machines don't start winding themselves up with outrage, we can finally see the letter of the law get reformed to match the spirit of the law. If they do, then we are back to square one.

Eh - I'm not so sure. We still have problems with zero tolerance policies in schools despite repeated high profile cases of stupidity. While I'd like to hope that Congress could do better there is much evidence to the contrary

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
its so sad the way america is going. one way or the other, no in between, no gray area, no discretion at all for anything. no matter what, something is or it isnt. there is nothing else besides extremes.