Man drives into parade crowd in NOLA, injuring dozens

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
But he don't look Muslim, definitely doesn't have an Arabic sound name either. Motives are not known yet but terrorism is not suspected:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/25/us/new-orleans-mardi-gras-parade-accident/index.html

"One man is in custody after an accident at a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans injured at least 28 people, five seriously, officials said.

Police Chief Michael Harrison said the suspect, who was driving a pickup truck that hit two cars before running into the crowd, appeared to be highly intoxicated. Among the injured, the youngest is 3 and the oldest are in their 40s.

None of the injuries was life-threatening, officials said.

The New Orleans Police Department arrested Neilson Rizzuto, 25. He has been charged with two counts of first-degree vehicular negligence resulting in injury, and one count each of reckless operation and hit-and-run driving.
The incident occurred near the intersection of Orleans and Carrollton Avenues where the Krewe of Endymion parade was underway.
Here are the latest developments in this story:
• A total of 21 people were hospitalized, including one female police officer. She was in good spirits, the chief said.
• Seven other people who were hurt declined medical transportation.
• Some of the bystanders who helped care for the injured were emergency responders who were tourists in town for Mardi Gras, the chief said.

Harrison said there is no indication the accident was an act of terrorism.
• Video from CNN affiliate WDSU showed a gray pickup truck that had crashed into a dump truck on a median near the intersection.
• Witnesses told the station the pickup came down one of the streets and struck several cars before hitting people in the crowd watching the parade.
• "I saw the gray truck flying down Carrollton Avenue," a female witness told WDSU while clutching her strands of Mardi Gras beads. "He sped up and he lost control and you could see (the truck) was getting ready to turn and I knew he was going to run into all those people."

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I read very, very drunk. Which seems logical because of where and when it happened. Tragedy, glad nobody was seriously injured.

Also much smaller scale, in Germany.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Actually, one fatility in Germany.

German police currently in "twitter wars", saying the guy was German, NO "migration background" and also no Muslim, due to rumors that he allegedly was.

2,w=1489,q=low,c=0.bild.jpg

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Just another day in USA's love affair with alcohol.

Move on, get back to prosecuting MJ users for sitting on the couch and consuming food.
Exactly. How many stories have you heard about people getting high on MJ or stoned on heroin and whilst intoxicated killing or maiming >2 people?

That's not even talking about the role alcohol plays in terms of suicides in this country.

Also it's strange to me that if this was a depressed 25 year old Muslim guy this would be national news but a depressed white guy? Doesn't even make the front page of most national newspapers.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Trying to compare this, to someone who was sober, rented a truck, drove through a crowd for a mile and a half, had several guns and explosives, and shot at people is extremely disingenuous. It is not even close to the same thing. But the usual race baiters are at it again. Its funny that the people who cry racism, call others racist, are the ones who act like it the most.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Trying to compare this, to someone who was sober, rented a truck, drove through a crowd for a mile and a half, had several guns and explosives, and shot at people is extremely disingenuous. It is not even close to the same thing. But the usual race baiters are at it again. Its funny that the people who cry racism, call others racist, are the ones who act like it the most.

Does alcohol explain gop klan rooting for opportunities to kill browns abroad? They're certainly far more successful at it than this guy.

Reactions: JSt0rm

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

why don't you comment on the story then.

Reactions: FIVR and MongGrel

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Where are you wrote bring on self driver cars. And? I commented on the article, he obviously didn't read before posting. I did comment on the article. It's not the same as other instances where a car was driven through a crowd, hence my drunk comment.

I am glad nobody was hurt. I also hope he get hammered by the law. That better?

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Where are you wrote bring on self driver cars. And? I commented on the article, he obviously didn't read before posting. I did comment on the article. It's not the same as other instances where a car was driven through a crowd, hence my drunk comment.

Not the conservative story if the guy happened to be some BROWN ILLEGAL rapist.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

lol, we're not twisting your arm here.

Reactions: MongGrel
Jan 25, 2011
Alabama tries to step up but falls short. At least this one doesn't appear to be drunken stupidity.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/28/us/alabama-mardi-gras-parade-crash/index.html

Twelve members of the Gulf Shores High School marching band were injured, four of them critically, when a car plowed into the band at a Mardi Gras parade Tuesday in Gulf Shores, Alabama, city spokesman Grant Brown said.

Brown said the car was driven by a 73-year-old man who accelerated and hit the band. It was not immediately clear why the driver accelerated, but authorities do not believe the crash was intentional.