Man Detained & Interrogated By TSA For Carrying Cash

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
$10k? BFD

http://www.timesonline.com/art...069b27fa9311202558.txt

$500k 3 years ago and still hasn't gotten it back.

Guilty until proven innocent
Did you actually read the article you posted?

$500,000 in cash with trace amounts of cocaine on the bills, and all parties denying they knew where they money came from...that has drug money written all over it.

Jpeyton...are you as stoopid as you are acting???

It`s a known fact that all money except for that that is newly distributed has trace amounts of cocaine and other drugs.
Also, according to federal court documents, ion scans of the money showed traces of cocaine four or five times higher than the amount normally found on cash in general circulation.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
lmao, return of angry white male

edit: not that I agree with the feds here, but when was fox covering this stuff for the past 8 years

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: alchemize
/scratches head...

jpeyton, are you defending seizure of assets without due process?
Whose money? All parties involved denied any knowledge of it:

State police said security officers called Marsh, who owned the truck, and he denied any knowledge of the money. The two men then drove away from the plant and were stopped by state police about a mile away, where Kingsby said he didn?t know anything about the money.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I guess I was lucky when I flew around with over 10K cash. I was buying a car.... Hmmmmmmm, So, your suppose declare it? To Who? Everyone? Are you suppose to yell out at the air port I have a large amount of cash? Oh well... What ever happened to the handcuffed locked briefcase full of cash, that would be funny to try to get away doing that stunt these days.

JFoobar

Feb 19, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
I guess I was lucky when I flew around with over 10K cash. I was buying a car.... Hmmmmmmm, So, your suppose declare it? To Who? Everyone? Are you suppose to yell out at the air port I have a large amount of cash?

As I believe was covered previously, the $10,000 limit does not apply to domestic travel. It does not even apply to flights leaving the US to the best of my knowledge. It only applies to people entering the United States.

However, make sure you are complying with reporting regulations if you have withdrawn that much from the bank. I would have a copy of the applicable Currency Transaction Report (FinCEN) on me and/or some other documentation explaining why I had the money in case I was questioned, even just for domestic travel. It would suck to have it confiscated and have to spend months getting it back.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
/scratches head...

State police said security officers called Marsh, who owned the truck, and he denied any knowledge of the money. The two men then drove away from the plant and were stopped by state police about a mile away, where Kingsby said he didn?t know anything about the money.
Well, I guess if nobody claims it then it should be forfeited...

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
/scratches head...

Well, I guess if nobody claims it then it should be forfeited...

Unless the authorities can prove that money is drug money, we should zero proff of what the money is for or it's origin.

I guess it's going to be more of "Your papers, please" unless we start taking a stand against these jerkoffs and stop letting them stomp on our legal rights.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Farang
lmao, return of angry white male

edit: not that I agree with the feds here, but when was fox covering this stuff for the past 8 years

Race baiting + complete deflection?

Give this man a gold star!

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Or you can just come to terms with the fact the Japanese are more efficient and professional in many ways over us.

It's nothing to be ashamed of. If it makes you feel better, the USA is more efficient and professional in many ways over Zimbabwe.

Why isnt Obama doing anything to make us more efficient?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: OCguy
Originally posted by: nkgreen
I went to Japan for spring break, and it was amazing how much more professional and efficient the Japanese were than the USA.
Fixed.

Why isnt Obama doing something about it?

I always thought the USA bashers would have to stop once a (D) was in office. Well they somehow figured out a way to still do it, but pretend we arent led by Democrats....

Interesting social experiment...
Or you can just come to terms with the fact the Japanese are more efficient and professional in many ways over us.

It's nothing to be ashamed of. If it makes you feel better, the USA is more efficient and professional in many ways over Zimbabwe.

I went to the United States for spring break, and it was amazing how much better in general it is here than in the rest of the world.

My anecdotal evidence contradicts yours.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: OCguy

Why isnt Obama doing anything to make us more efficient?

He is waiting for the teleprompter.

OokiiNeko

Jun 14, 2003
I got pulled off the line by TSA at some airport in California. The TSA agent who pulled me to the side (African American female) explained why I was pulled off (random check) and was pleasant and professional throughout the experience. After we were finshed, I told her that I had read many horror stories about TSA and was surprised at how courteous she was. She laughed and said most of the bad hires had been flushed out of the system at that airport.
Also screwed up at another airport (in California) and left the baggage area without my bag (brainfart). Another TSA agent assisted me, since I could not go back into the baggage area once I left. I gave him my flight and described the bag and volunteered to describe the contents (including papers with my name on it). He retreived my bag and asked,"Sir, do I have permission to open your bag." Once he verified the contents as described, he gave me my bag.
So, at least in California, I had surprisingly good experiences with TSA.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
I guess I was lucky when I flew around with over 10K cash. I was buying a car.... Hmmmmmmm, So, your suppose declare it? To Who? Everyone? Are you suppose to yell out at the air port I have a large amount of cash? Oh well... What ever happened to the handcuffed locked briefcase full of cash, that would be funny to try to get away doing that stunt these days.

you have to forgive erclps he was dreaming again about what $10,000 would be like....
then he woke up and went back to Jr High School.....