Man Detained & Interrogated By TSA For Carrying Cash

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: tweaker2
I LOL'ed when I listened to those TSA dudes acting out a D List version of Starsky and Hutch, with them getting totally juiced on the Supreme Authority they were anointed with. Too bad the authority given them didn't come with instructions on how to use it properly.

Then again, how do you teach common sense, job related instincts and being street-smart to thousands of people that get low pay, long hours, adverse confrontational working conditions and being held responsible for keeping all our commercial passenger aircraft from getting blown out of the sky or redirected to Uganda?

They look at an exray machine and use a magnetic wand. Lets not get crazy here and act like they are standing guard over the planes repulsing wave after wave of terrorists armed assaults.

The basic skill set requires being able to see and recognize patterns. Which is an inate ability of nearly every human.

You make some sense. However, if that's their only function, then who pulled that passenger with the recording phone out of the screening process and interrogate him like they're the FBI? Weren't they TSA?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Why the F is the TSA bothering this guy in the first place? The answer, of course, is that the TSA agents in question are ego-driven assholes.

like 90% of the cops out there

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Triumph
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
$10k? BFD

http://www.timesonline.com/art...069b27fa9311202558.txt

$500k 3 years ago and still hasn't gotten it back.

Guilty until proven innocent
Did you actually read the article you posted?

$500,000 in cash with trace amounts of cocaine on the bills, and all parties denying they knew where they money came from...that has drug money written all over it.

So what? That much cash could have come from anywhere. That's like the police impounding your sports car, because although they didn't actually catch you speeding, with all that horsepower you must've broken the speed limit at least once or twice!:roll:

I forget the exact numbers but I remember seeing a program where they swabbed a random selection of bank notes for cocaine and I think it was roughly 80% that turned up a positive result.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: dphantom
Originally posted by: NeoV
uneducated low skill workers - you mean like a large percentage of our military and police forces?

You have not a clue. Most of the people I worked with before I retired were either working towards an associate degree or a bachelor's degree among the enlistd troops. Many senior NCOs had a Bachelor's degree and some were working on their Master's.

I finished my BS degree as an enlisted and then finished my masters work when I was commissioned.

Today's military on average are more educated than the general public.

Not true. The military before W had actually risen to that mark (IF you consider high school graduation or equivalent ONLY), but since W lowered the requirements every 9 1/2 seconds while in office it's now getting back to being a refuge of the short bus clan. Obviously high school graduation or equivalent is still higher, since it's a requirement to enlist. However test score (ASVAB) averages are WAY down since lowering that requirement so far.

It's also untrue that enlisted have a large percentage of college degrees. In fact they have ALWAYS had less college education than the general public. Officers, obviously, have a high concentration of degrees. Now, you can argue it's because they're in the military instead of school all you want, but the fact remains that enlisted in the military have less college education than the general population of the same age. Since enlisted make up the vast majority of the military, the military has a lower level of education overall.

Text Please note that this study claims better education, but bases it SOLELY on high school graduation or equivalent rates. See chart 6 to get the whole picture.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Text

Luckily he recorded the whole exchange between him and the TSA on his cell phone. What happened to him is very troubling, and I'm glad he was vigilant enough to stand his legal ground.

AFAIK, the legal limit without declaring it is $10,000; this guy was carrying less than half that amount. Yet he was still detained and interrogated about everything from his personal history to the origin of the money, even though he wasn't legally required to provide any of that information. They nearly arrested him to forcefully take him to the police station, but a cooler (and smarter) head prevailed and he was let go.

With all the incidents we've been hearing about the abuse of power by law enforcement, I think it's more important than ever to carry some kind of recording device (like a cell phone or digital camera that can take audio/video).

I agree and disagree . My place is like fort knox . I have cameras everwhere. Motion detect run. I love it. When I was illegeally busted for Pot last summer I could have beat the case. I hd video proof officer had NO right to approach me on my properity. But rather than cry about a noyhing charge and $100 fine it better to pay . Than piss off cops. I not smoking anymore as its not helping me anymore . I going back to mexico in a couple of weeks . I hope that helps like it did last year.

Aug 23, 2000
uneducated low skill workers - you mean like a large percentage of our military and police forces?

I think uneducted and low skill workers more accurately define the users of this forum.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

I think uneducted and low skill workers more accurately define the users of this forum.

Hey now , don't get so down on yourself like that. i admire your humility though.;)

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

Boy that's the pot calling the kettle black.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

You have not a clue. Most of the people I worked with before I retired were either working towards an associate degree or a bachelor's degree among the enlistd troops. Many senior NCOs had a Bachelor's degree and some were working on their Master's.

I finished my BS degree as an enlisted and then finished my masters work when I was commissioned.

Not true. The military before W had actually risen to that mark (IF you consider high school graduation or equivalent ONLY), but since W lowered the requirements every 9 1/2 seconds while in office it's now getting back to being a refuge of the short bus clan. Obviously high school graduation or equivalent is still higher, since it's a requirement to enlist. However test score (ASVAB) averages are WAY down since lowering that requirement so far.

It's also untrue that enlisted have a large percentage of college degrees. In fact they have ALWAYS had less college education than the general public. Officers, obviously, have a high concentration of degrees. Now, you can argue it's because they're in the military instead of school all you want, but the fact remains that enlisted in the military have less college education than the general population of the same age. Since enlisted make up the vast majority of the military, the military has a lower level of education overall.

Text Please note that this study claims better education, but bases it SOLELY on high school graduation or equivalent rates. See chart 6 to get the whole picture.

Read the study and I read it differently. The enlistee population is clearly more educated than the general population. When you separate out enlistees with college from those who do not enlist at the 18-24 age, that is what you are seeing in chart 6 which makes sense since so many enlistees are HS grads who put off going to college until later or perhaps go to trade school or stay in the military as a career.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: nkgreen
I went to Japan for spring break, and it was amazing how much more professional and efficient the Japanese were than the TSA.

That is my experience also traveling to several countries in Europe and Asia since 9/11. Our TSA is a joke, run by a bunch of cops-wannabe.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Robor
jpeyton posts a thread with a link to a FoxNews clip? :shocked:

Yeah, for some reason Fox gave these guys a time slot. Sure as hell would never had happened while Bush was in office.
:thumbsup: to this guy for standing up to them!
Yup.

That's silly. Of the Fox news shows I watch I've never noticed them to support the TSA and the related BS it brings.

I wish the guy would've just told them it was none of their effin business what he was doing with the money, because it wasn't.

Or maybe he could've been a sm@rt-@ss and said it was to buy fertilizer and diesel fuel when he got home. Probably not a smart thing though.

The whole thing is outragious and stupid.

Fern

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I went to Japan for spring break, and it was amazing how much more professional and efficient the Japanese were than the USA.
Fixed.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

Read the study and I read it differently. The enlistee population is clearly more educated than the general population. When you separate out enlistees with college from those who do not enlist at the 18-24 age, that is what you are seeing in chart 6 which makes sense since so many enlistees are HS grads who put off going to college until later or perhaps go to trade school or stay in the military as a career.

The enlistee population has a higher percentage of high school grads or equivalent, because it is basically a requirement...no such requirement exists of the civilian population.

I clearly stated that while it's true that many enlisted personnel serve in the military first, and do college second, that doesn't change the fact that compared to the general population enlistees have less college education than those in their same age range - which is EXACTLY what chart 6 shows.

Compared to the general population, a lower percentage of enlisted recruits have an educational level of 4 (some college/no degree) through 7 (graduate or professional degree), and a lower percentage of recruits are in the two lowest educational levels. Chart 6 shows the distributions for each branch of the military and the general population.

In other words, about 10% of military recruits have more than a high school education, while about 45% of non military citizens of the same age range (18-24) have more than a high school education.

What the study proves is that military personnel are more likely to be high school educated, while non-military citizens are more likely to be college educated, at least through age 24. If someone wants to claim that makes military people 'more educated', then I think they're the ones that need 'more education'.

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: tweaker2
I LOL'ed when I listened to those TSA dudes acting out a D List version of Starsky and Hutch, with them getting totally juiced on the Supreme Authority they were anointed with. Too bad the authority given them didn't come with instructions on how to use it properly.

This is the important distinction everyone should make when comparing these clowns to soldiers.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I went to Japan for spring break, and it was amazing how much more professional and efficient the Japanese were than the USA.
Fixed.

Why isnt Obama doing something about it?

I always thought the USA bashers would have to stop once a (D) was in office. Well they somehow figured out a way to still do it, but pretend we arent led by Democrats....

Interesting social experiment...

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: OCguy
Fixed.

I always thought the USA bashers would have to stop once a (D) was in office. Well they somehow figured out a way to still do it, but pretend we arent led by Democrats....

Or you can just come to terms with the fact the Japanese are more efficient and professional in many ways over us.

It's nothing to be ashamed of. If it makes you feel better, the USA is more efficient and professional in many ways over Zimbabwe.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

come on dude everybody knows that criminal justice degrees are a joke lol.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Thank the LORD we have Fox News, defenders of our liberty, to expose the corrupt jackbooted practices of Obama's TSA...thank you jpeyton for opening our eyes to this :D

nullzero

Jan 15, 2005
Moral of the story if you have over $2k in cash stuff the cash between your ass cheeks to get through the security. Or if you have a woman companion and a plastic bag....

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: OCguy
Fixed.

Or you can just come to terms with the fact the Japanese are more efficient and professional in many ways over us.

It's nothing to be ashamed of. If it makes you feel better, the USA is more efficient and professional in many ways over Zimbabwe.

:laugh:

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: alchemize
Thank the LORD we have Fox News, defenders of our liberty, to expose the corrupt jackbooted practices of Obama's TSA...thank you jpeyton for opening our eyes to this :D

Fox News would have never allowed a show like this while Bush was in office.

I actually don't care too much for the show because it's directed like some late night infomercial, and they at times get too conspiratorial. But I have seen some segments that weren't.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
They are getting pretty bold now; I flew to see my Parents, spent the night and flew back the next night.

Landed, and was on my way to my car out in the parking lot at 11 at night when I was stopped by two custom agents and had my luggage searched right in the middle of the lot. They said they were looking for large amounts of cash because of my quick turnaround flight they suspected I might have been transporting drug money.

It happened so fast I did not have time to think but got a good look at their badges and names. I called the local office the next morning, told them I was searched in the parking lot by their officers and asked if that normal? They said yes, that it was common procedure.

So when you fly you and you think your done after going through check points you may not be!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
$10k? BFD

http://www.timesonline.com/art...069b27fa9311202558.txt

$500k 3 years ago and still hasn't gotten it back.

Guilty until proven innocent
Did you actually read the article you posted?

$500,000 in cash with trace amounts of cocaine on the bills, and all parties denying they knew where they money came from...that has drug money written all over it.

Jpeyton...are you as stoopid as you are acting???

It`s a known fact that all money except for that that is newly distributed has trace amounts of cocaine and other drugs.

http://www.snopes.com/business/money/cocaine.asp
http://www.hoboes.com/pub/Poli...ure/Cocaine-TainteFrom the August 1993 ABA Journal:

"The mere presence of trace amounts of cocaine on a common object ...
is insufficient to support a felony conviction of cocaine." Lord v.
Florida, 91-2147.

"[T]he evidence of the narcotic-trained dog's alert to [tainted] currency
is of extremely little probative weight. . . . It cannot be doubted that
contaminated currency is widespread. The presence of trace narcotics on
currency does not yield any relevant information whatsoever about the
currency's history." US District Court Judge Thomas Wiseman of Nashville,
Jones v. DEA, No. 3:91-0520 (April 21, 1993).

"The probability that every single person in the United States is
carrying drug-tainted money is almost certain." -- Dr. James Woodford,
forensic chemist in Atlanta. Woodford cites a 1989 experiment by Miami
toxicologist Dr. William Hearn, who gathered 135 dollar bills from banks
in twelve cities. 131 had traces of cocaine.
d%20Money

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
It`s a known fact that all money except for that that is newly distributed has trace amounts of cocaine and other drugs.
I thought it was only the $100 bills.