Man Detained & Interrogated By TSA For Carrying Cash

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Text

Luckily he recorded the whole exchange between him and the TSA on his cell phone. What happened to him is very troubling, and I'm glad he was vigilant enough to stand his legal ground.

AFAIK, the legal limit without declaring it is $10,000; this guy was carrying less than half that amount. Yet he was still detained and interrogated about everything from his personal history to the origin of the money, even though he wasn't legally required to provide any of that information. They nearly arrested him to forcefully take him to the police station, but a cooler (and smarter) head prevailed and he was let go.

With all the incidents we've been hearing about the abuse of power by law enforcement, I think it's more important than ever to carry some kind of recording device (like a cell phone or digital camera that can take audio/video).

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
jpeyton posts a thread with a link to a FoxNews clip? :shocked:

:thumbsup: to this guy for standing up to them!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Why the F is the TSA bothering this guy in the first place? The answer, of course, is that the TSA agents in question are ego-driven assholes.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Robor
jpeyton posts a thread with a link to a FoxNews clip? :shocked:

Yeah, for some reason Fox gave these guys a time slot. Sure as hell would never had happened while Bush was in office.

:thumbsup: to this guy for standing up to them!

Yup.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Why the F is the TSA bothering this guy in the first place? The answer, of course, is that the TSA agents in question are ego-driven assholes.

MO came out with some kind of "terrorist report" that described as dangerous people who opposed income taxes, supported the Constitution, and had Ron Paul bumper stickers on their car. The guy apparently had some Campaign For Liberty literature and some RP bumper stickers on him before trying to board the plane.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This is the problem with allowing uneducated low skill workers the power. None of them have a clue what they are talking about.

And it doesnt help it happened in the peoples republic of missouri. Those reports about who is part of a militia sounds like a prelude to a crackdown.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: bamacre

MO came out with some kind of "terrorist report" that described as dangerous people who opposed income taxes, supported the Constitution, and had Ron Paul bumper stickers on their car. The guy apparently had some Campaign For Liberty literature and some RP bumper stickers on him before trying to board the plane.
Even though that might be true, I'm betting if he only had the literature and bumper stickers, he would have strolled right through security.

In an era of credit/debit cards and massive consumer debt, people assume the worst when they see someone with that much cash on their person.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
$10k? BFD

http://www.timesonline.com/art...069b27fa9311202558.txt

$500k 3 years ago and still hasn't gotten it back.

Guilty until proven innocent
Did you actually read the article you posted?

$500,000 in cash with trace amounts of cocaine on the bills, and all parties denying they knew where they money came from...that has drug money written all over it.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Anybody who has a whole $4700 in cold hard cash just has to be doing something illegal!!

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
This is the problem with allowing uneducated low skill workers the power. None of them have a clue what they are talking about.

And it doesnt help it happened in the peoples republic of missouri. Those reports about who is part of a militia sounds like a prelude to a crackdown.

It's also what happens when we surrender our freedoms to a government. Sure many of these TSA are low-skill/low wage, but they have been given power by COngress and the Administration (this and past) to do these things. And they can make your liife miserable if you even try to disagree with any of them.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: bamacre

Even though that might be true, I'm betting if he only had the literature and bumper stickers, he would have strolled right through security.

In an era of credit/debit cards and massive consumer debt, people assume the worst when they see someone with that much cash on their person.

I don't think $4700 is a lot of cash. I don't carry that much. :laugh: But I can think of 100 reasons why someone might be.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
uneducated low skill workers - you mean like a large percentage of our military and police forces?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: NeoV
uneducated low skill workers - you mean like a large percentage of our military and police forces?

Not even close

Many in the military are educated and some police depts require a degree or extended education.

The people who were hired in the TSA were suspect at best. I know having worked the initial screening process in 2002. Though the govt were better than I expected. They actually did turn away the blind and deaf and people who showed up so stoned\drunk\hungover they passed out in the testing station.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
disgusting.

wonder what would have happened if the "fbi" agent or whatever wouldnt have come in?

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: NeoV

You have not a clue. Most of the people I worked with before I retired were either working towards an associate degree or a bachelor's degree among the enlistd troops. Many senior NCOs had a Bachelor's degree and some were working on their Master's.

I finished my BS degree as an enlisted and then finished my masters work when I was commissioned.

Today's military on average are more educated than the general public.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That's pretty crappy. The 10K declaration is only for customs, not domestic flights. I've many times had 6K+ cash on flights and it was passed through the xray in carry-on, never a problem.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
$10k? BFD

$500,000 in cash with trace amounts of cocaine on the bills, and all parties denying they knew where they money came from...that has drug money written all over it.

So what? That much cash could have come from anywhere. That's like the police impounding your sports car, because although they didn't actually catch you speeding, with all that horsepower you must've broken the speed limit at least once or twice!:roll:

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Triumph
$10k? BFD

So what? That much cash could have come from anywhere. That's like the police impounding your sports car, because although they didn't actually catch you speeding, with all that horsepower you must've broken the speed limit at least once or twice!:roll:
BTW, since nobody knew where they money came from, who exactly was "wronged" in that situation?

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
I went to Japan for spring break, and it was amazing how much more professional and efficient the Japanese were than the TSA.

Or for that matter, the whole airport. Never again will I fly through George Bush Intercontinental Airport.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I LOL'ed when I listened to those TSA dudes acting out a D List version of Starsky and Hutch, with them getting totally juiced on the Supreme Authority they were anointed with. Too bad the authority given them didn't come with instructions on how to use it properly.

Then again, how do you teach common sense, job related instincts and being street-smart to thousands of people that get low pay, long hours, adverse confrontational working conditions and being held responsible for keeping all our commercial passenger aircraft from getting blown out of the sky or redirected to Uganda?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: tweaker2
I LOL'ed when I listened to those TSA dudes acting out a D List version of Starsky and Hutch, with them getting totally juiced on the Supreme Authority they were anointed with. Too bad the authority given them didn't come with instructions on how to use it properly.

Then again, how do you teach common sense, job related instincts and being street-smart to thousands of people that get low pay, long hours, adverse confrontational working conditions and being held responsible for keeping all our commercial passenger aircraft from getting blown out of the sky or redirected to Uganda?

They look at an exray machine and use a magnetic wand. Lets not get crazy here and act like they are standing guard over the planes repulsing wave after wave of terrorists armed assaults.

The basic skill set requires being able to see and recognize patterns. Which is an inate ability of nearly every human.