Makings of a cpu

drifter106

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2004
Was wanting some background information (specially with these opterons out) on how they classify these cpu's. Obviously cpu makers test them to meet certain standards and place them accordingly. That being said, a opteron 165 is the weakest while say the 175 holds the highest standard. As each cpu is benchmarked and labeled per its class the multipliers are set at that class, right? This is where the steppings come into play. How can a 165 be rated CABNE but have its multipler locked at 9 when it comes from the higher (FX) quality silicon. I have been told that if a cpu fails to run at a certain speed, regardless, it gets the lower multiper....makes sense.

Second, when they say they have another round of proceesors coming out I am assuming that they have put several cpu's through the tests and graded them accordingly. What determines whether the first "batch" has higher quality cpu's than say the 3rd or 5th or visa verse? Doe history show that there is a decrease or increase in quality as more processors are put on the market? Is there a norm? Links anybody?

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: forumposter32
How many people find this thread entertaining? HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm more like :confused: than :laugh:.

Drifter, how about when a company builds a processor, they have a frequency target in mind. When they're fabricated, they test them at severe conditions. Whoever can run at 2GHz gets to be a 2GHz chip. Whoever can only work at 1.9Ghz is a 1.9GHz chip.

So waht are you asking exactly?

drifter106

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2004
O.K. if frequency target is 2.0 and a chip doesn't make it, they drop it down in frequency and lower the mulitplers, correct? Assuming that chips have different steppings and steppings are referred to as " a revision of silicon - to be more precise it refers to a change to the mask used to manufacture the chip". How can a chip that was meant to be targeted at 2.4 (FX) with a stepping of CABNE be downgraded to a 165 and ultilmately o/c to 2.6 or 2.7. Then you get another group of chips with a stepping of say CABWE (possibly lower quality) and their multipler is locked also.

HMMMMMMMM.....Maybe I just answered my own question...various chips not making the grade (whatever their quality may be) are labeled and sold as a slower running chip...only the luck of the draw provides you with higher clocks due to said stepping...

Second question, we just have had a run on the opterons, next batch will arrive at most retailers first of Dec. The 2nd or 3rd time through are the cpu's going to provide the performance that the initial "batch" provided? You see, in my ignorance of not knowing the mechanics or processes of production I am interested in knowing if they (AMD) do anything to enhance the cpu's. Tux, guess your reply pretty much sums it up...these opterons are cpu's that were targeted at a specifc speed and didn't cut it. Could refer to them as seconds so to speak....

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
When a chip maker is getting a consistant yield, of say 2.8g chips, then they are going to probably make a lot more than they can sell as FX57's.. So they downlock the multipliers and sell them as other models..

Same for 4800 X2's... That is why most X2's will do 2.4g at default volts.... That is the consistant yield of the fab..

I"m sure there are people here who remember the only difference between some of the P3's & Cellys, was that higher clocked ones had higher Vcore.. Intel was ( still is ? ) overclocking, just like we do..