Make yourself a FREE self-powered airplane!

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
My dad showed me how to do that when I was a kid.

A LOOONG time ago.:eek:

It DOES work! ;)

Actually the way he showed me was to just make a paper airplane and glue it to the fly's ass.

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
this is nothing, I used to catch dragonflies and tie a little thread onto its tail.

hold on to the thread and let go of the dragonfly. It is so freaking cool how he can fly all he want, hovering about 5-10 feet above you, yet you have a complete control over him.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by: LOLyourFace
this is nothing, I used to catch dragonflies and tie a little thread onto its tail. hold on to the thread and let go of the dragonfly. It is so freaking cool how he can fly all he want, hovering about 5-10 feet above you, yet you have a complete control over him.
Blah... dragonflies are for sissies, try June bugs.

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
this is nothing, I used to catch dragonflies and tie a little thread onto its tail. hold on to the thread and let go of the dragonfly. It is so freaking cool how he can fly all he want, hovering about 5-10 feet above you, yet you have a complete control over him.

how the hell do you tie a thread around june bugs? their whole top body is made of wings that need to expand.... tying it around the delicate legs will fall off in a sec.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by: LOLyourFace this is nothing, I used to catch dragonflies and tie a little thread onto its tail. hold on to the thread and let go of the dragonfly. It is so freaking cool how he can fly all he want, hovering about 5-10 feet above you, yet you have a complete control over him.
how the hell do you tie a thread around june bugs? their whole top body is made of wings that need to expand.... tying it around the delicate legs will fall off in a sec.
Around the neck my friend, just enough so you don't choke them.

EDIT: Actually, the neck is not correct, more like the waist.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Sit back and enjoy watching the happy flies playing with the plane! None of them will have experienced anything like this before!

OMG, this has got to be from like the 50s. Watch the happy flies play with the plane!?!?! I mean, I'm not PETA member or anything, but that's torture! :D

Step 7: After you are done having your fun fun plane day, gently rip the flies' legs out from their body and store your plane in a safe place (with all the legs still attached).

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
Step 7: After you are done having your fun fun plane day, gently rip the flies' legs out from their body and store your plane in a safe place (with all the legs still attached).

Nah. The flies don't last long enough to do that. As I recall from the 50's, when this was considered nasty, they last a few seconds and then crash into a wall, or the floor, or whatever, and die. Slowly and noisily.

Czesia

Nov 22, 2003
Originally posted by: edro13
Sit back and enjoy watching the happy flies playing with the plane! None of them will have experienced anything like this before!

OMG, this has got to be from like the 50s. Watch the happy flies play with the plane!?!?! I mean, I'm not PETA member or anything, but that's torture! :D

Have to agree, it sounds a little torturous. :(

Just a note for those of you who WILL try this at home. It's about the fridge/freezer thing. I used to study dragonflies and we used that method to slow down their metabolism long enough to take sufficient measurements and make observations about them (length, wingspan, sex, etc). However, it is better to put them in the fridge as freezing them may cause damage to the fly.

Oh, wait. You're already gluing them to the plane anyway. Silly me, they're already destined to be damaged... :Q :confused: For the love of flies, why don't you just leave the poor things alone! :disgust:
rolleye.gif
:)

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

June bugs are too stupid to do that. they would just fly hit the end of the string (if its possible to put a string on a june bug) then fall to the ground and buzz on its back...