Make your own thermal paste with DIAMOND!

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
o_O that seems like too high of an increase. I can't believe that the grease is inhibiting that much heat transfer. I need to learn more about thermodynamics.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Evadman
o_O that seems like too high of an increase. I can't believe that the grease is inhibiting that much heat transfer. I need to learn more about thermodynamics.
Q=UAdT, where dT is the log mean temperature difference between the two sides, A is the area through which heat is conducted, and U is the conductance....basically a constant k over the thickness dx.

You have to dissipate a constant amount of heat, equal to the CPU's output...so in the neighborhood of 100W. Being able to do this across a low delta-T requires the conductance to be very high. Assuming that the heatsink temperature at the point of contact is ~30 degrees in both cases, and the thickness of the paste is constant, that means that the diamond paste has to be 3 times as conductive as the AS. Is we assume the heatsink is at ~20 degrees, that goes to 1.9 times as conductive to achieve the stated performance (54->38).

That's well within the stated difference in conductivity between silver and diamond, where of course the grease that holds the stuff in suspension will decrease the performance of both.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Thermal grease with diamond dust in it is allready available for purchase if I'm not mistaken. Can't find the link someone else posted not long ago with a roundup of several thermal greases, including one with diamond dust in it.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Anyone have any experience with this stuff or willing to be a guinea pig?

Tempted to get some to try next time I tear down my rig. But not worth a tear-down by itself, would need another reason also. Hmm....$45 Tuniq Tower...hmmm...

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
I would imagine you could also use this for lapping your heatsink... but it would be an expensive way to do so.

foodfightr

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2004
I wonder how this stacks up to coollaboratory pro or mx-2...

(Both own the &*$#! out of Arctic Silver.)

Read some reviews... seems like the two I mentioned are still the way to go!

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Old Hippie
Originally posted by: Cutthroat
I've really gotta get some of that:shocked:

Here ya go!

The only US e-tailer that ships to Canada I can find is Directron, but it's gonna cost $31 to have it shipped, that's not really worth it. I haven't found it anywhere in Canada. Oh well, I still have some Shin-etsu X23 I have to use anyway.

I was looking at some forum reviews (they gave a bunch away to OC Forums members), and they were really only getting a few degrees improvement over AS5. Maybe this stuff is not as good as the home made stuff.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Amazing results even when applied improperly. Imagine how much more of a temperature drop it can provide if it wasn't applied like peanut butter.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I wonder if some enthusiasts currently on water cooling would leave that one in the dust, at least for a time, to try out that cooling method instead.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: SpeedEng66
Originally posted by: Old Hippie
Originally posted by: Cutthroat
I've really gotta get some of that:shocked:

Here ya go!

guess im going to try it out
currently using the goop that came with my zalman

in for 2 :)

Was about to guinea pig it myself, but if you're gonna do it, I think I'll just wait for your results. Keep us updated.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Very interesting.

I hope to hear results from those who order this or try making their own; keep us posted!

JimiP

May 6, 2007
That is really cool. I'm definitely going to give this a try. I'll purchase an inexpensive testbed for this. Would you a say a hot running Prescott P4 would be a good one to start with?

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
nice results. diamond is the industry standard for heat dissipation during optical probing.

next step, replace the integrated heat spreader with a diamond solution. :)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Actually, didn't BonzaiDuck mix some of his own diamond-loaded thermal compound, and then test some IC Diamond 7?

He recommends the stuff (IC Diamond 7) but has indicated that you take maybe 2-3C off what you'd get with AS5.