Question make Notepad/Windows like firefox

pallab

Jul 11, 2019
If I open a text file, in both firefox and in notepad, the scrolling is continuously smooth in firefox whereas in notepad it breaks up. This in general true in any other windows application, like R studio, chrome, etc. How do I make scrolling in windows as it is in firefox?

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
There may be a mouse setting that can make it work. I do not have problems scrolling in any apps. Maybe new drivers for the mouse............

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Firefox for Windows defaults to "Smooth Scrolling" Enabled, it's an application-specific setting. You're not going to be able to scroll Notepad the same way, sorry. Unless you get the source code and re-write it.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Nobody reports such a problem as described herein.

A guess would be that the browser (or just an add-on or setting in the browser) is hogging resources (such as interrupts, caching, cpu clock cycles, network io or something).

You could use the built-in performance monitoring function of Windows to concurrently view the load effect on critical resources (cach, cpu, disk accesses, page file accesses, etc.) when the scrolling problem is being made to occur.

Simultaneously view the processes list in the task manager to see where the action is occurring and as well how much to try to trace the problem to a specific application.

If you have java enabled in the browser then also try disabling it as well as disable all add-ons, auto updates, search engines, etc. in settings. These are easily disabled & selectively re-enable-able via toggles. (Dont forget to close & restart the browser for the effects to take.)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The thing is, Notepad is a text editor. When it scrolls, it scrolls by rows of text, vertically.

Firefox is a web browser, and by default, it scrolls pixel-by-pixel, for however many pixels make up a "scroll row".

Reactions: killster1

pallab

Jul 11, 2019
The thing is, Notepad is a text editor. When it scrolls, it scrolls by rows of text, vertically.

Firefox is a web browser, and by default, it scrolls pixel-by-pixel, for however many pixels make up a "scroll row".
that was really helpful.
Okay I forget notepad, is there any way to do pixel wise scrolling in other applications like Rstudio, chrome, etc?
PS, I tried many things in chrome but nothing worked.

Note, when I browse with my touchpad, no such thing in there. The problem occurs in ANY pc, only when using the mouse. Do you guys know why? And if so, how to fix it.

When I scrolling using the BAR on the RIGHT, this thing doesn't happen. Again, let me mention , this happens in any windows PC, and is not a user specific problem.

Last edited:

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
If you are scrolling FireFox inside the text widow (ie, not using the scroll bar), then you have to be using the scroll wheel. If so, the scroll wheel operates using an IR sensor that reads incremental registration marks which are on the inside hub of the wheel. Hence, scrolling using this method is incrementalized.

If you use a Logitek mouse, then you can implement the "autoscrolling" and "universal scrolling feature" anywhere in the browser window to accomplish smooth scrolling.

With "autoscrolling" you can smooth scroll vertically . Just depress the scrolling wheel (or whatever button is assigned to this feature), and a directional pointer surrounded by a circle will appear. Now simply move the trackball in whatever direction you want to scroll and scrolling should be smooth. Pan speed depends on distance of the cursor moved. When you finish, you just press the scrolling wheel again to disable the scrolling feature.

In any event, you should try your current mouse to learn if it presently supports this function. Also inspect its control panel to see if there might be a check box that might be required to initiate such functionality.

Also ensure that "Use Autoscrolling", "Use Smooth scrolling" and
"Use hardware acceleration when available", are enabled in FireFox (Options/Advanced/Browsing).

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
the scroll wheel operates using an IR sensor that reads incremental registration marks which are on the inside hub of the wheel. Hence, scrolling using this method is incrementalized.
Well, it's an optical sensor, I'm not aware that it's IR, but it's not really visible, so yeah, probably. It uses "grey codes" (look them up).

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
The "IR" thingy was lifted from some website illustrating using photos showing white registration marks on the center wheel hub.
Another commented that across manufacturers different technologies are used in mice & trackball systems. There's lots of noise in the forums with people calling LEDs lasers and light emitting optics IR etc.

What happened to me is that I tried to smooth scroll with my Logitek Trackman (forcing movement in between the clicks) and found to my surprise scrolling to be incremental. (I used to have to disassemble the Logitek from time to time to free sticking micro switch button, but didn't have the need to investigate how the center wheel actually works. I didn't want to take it apart to analyze it for this thread so I relied on web stuff.

But ya, LEDs, optical/photo sensors, grey codes, etc.

Also (as is obvious) Initially I misunderstood the OPs issue (I think the "notepad breaks up" threw me).

However, I have learned a lot as I was unaware about the pixel versus text scrolling and incremental-lization issue. To my recollection, these never surfaced as an issue or problematic for me with what I do (but who knows, it could well in the future).