Make free PDF files!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: yoyo25
Originally posted by: yukichigai
pretty cool...one issue: it opens up like 2 or 3 popups everytime you create a pdf. It basically hijacks your current IE window (some what annoying)...but still can't beat free!

Go here and learn how to supertrick. This should stop the popup problem quite nicely... unless they come from the same site. :/

I LOVE YOU MAN!! - i can actually read cnn.com now without waiting forever for pages to load...

Yeah, dope innit? I'd like to set up that thing here at work since I browse CNN as well, but I don't have admin access and I doubt the IT guys would care enough since I'm not an IT guy. (hosts is a protected file is the problem) I think if I send in a recommendation with a big list of advertising sites attached they might supertrick them out, but I'll have to establish a good reason why they should do it. Meh.

Oh yeah, I'm assuming the faster load is because you blocked ar.atwola.com? Stupid AOL....

Dowfen

Jul 16, 2002
Yup, great product for being free.

I use it all the time, works flawlessly.

Eric

aehlers

Mar 24, 2003
Yeah, dope innit? I'd like to set up that thing here at work since I browse CNN as well, but I don't have admin access and I doubt the IT guys would care enough since I'm not an IT guy. (hosts is a protected file is the problem) I think if I send in a recommendation with a big list of advertising sites attached they might supertrick them out, but I'll have to establish a good reason why they should do it. Meh.

Oh yeah, I'm assuming the faster load is because you blocked ar.atwola.com? Stupid AOL....

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Use that to make yourself the admin on the computer.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: aehlers

How about I keep my job instead :p

Seriously, thanks but no thanks. The IT department here is pretty damn good. They're lenient enough to let me browse the net but they damn well know when someone's messing with stuff like that, or will fairly quickly. And doing that could get me in Federal court since I work for a government agency. :S

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: tsee
Everyone who's complaining about popups: it's time to check out Mozilla Firebird (not the regular Mozilla). It's free, fast (really), and kills popups by default. Nothing escapes it.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/release-notes.html

I use this at home myself, but at work I have no choice in the matter. Besides, you can't use Moz for everything. (Case in point: NetZero and Kazaa both use IE to generate popups) The supertrick is mostly useful for those popups you can't get rid of easily. Or if you foolishly use IE by choice. :p

vladgur

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2000
Originally posted by: aehlers

How about I keep my job instead :p

Seriously, thanks but no thanks. The IT department here is pretty damn good. They're lenient enough to let me browse the net but they damn well know when someone's messing with stuff like that, or will fairly quickly. And doing that could get me in Federal court since I work for a government agency. :S

Well all this does is make you a local administrator on your pc. In fact, as far as I know, even if you are a restricted user on the network, you can still create a local administrator user. It will prevent you from connecting to your companies domain, but if all you need is to edit a text file(hosts), then there is no harm in doing it. You are customizing your own computer, not maliciously gaining access to the network, so I dont know what are you afraid of? Besides, your IT people will have no idea which local files are modified.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: vladgur
Well all this does is make you a local administrator on your pc. In fact, as far as I know, even if you are a restricted user on the network, you can still create a local administrator user. It will prevent you from connecting to your companies domain, but if all you need is to edit a text file(hosts), then there is no harm in doing it. You are customizing your own computer, not maliciously gaining access to the network, so I dont know what are you afraid of? Besides, your IT people will have no idea which local files are modified.

The IT folks regularly come onto each system by remote to update software/install patches/etc. As such there is already a local admin account on the computer and creating a second would most certainly arouse suspicion. Plus, like I said, I have a government job. If there's anybody who's going to get pissed off about circumventing security its going to be gov't ITs. I'd rather just submit a suggestion and maybe get it pushed through official channels, rather than give the higher-ups ammo to fire me with.

salfter

Sep 11, 2001
pretty cool...one issue: it opens up like 2 or 3 popups everytime you create a pdf. It basically hijacks your current IE window (some what annoying)...but still can't beat free!

How about free and no annoyances? Install the generic PostScript driver in Win2K/WinXP (it's labeled something like "MS Publisher Color Printer" and is listed under generic printers) and set it to print to a file. When you "print" something to it, it will crank out a PostScript file. You can then feed that file to Ghostscript (you'll want to get the GSview front-end program) and use that to convert from PostScript to PDF. It won't cost you a dime, and I think it sometimes produces better results than Acrobat Distiller.

idfubar

Aug 3, 2001
Another Free PDF trick is posting your .doc or text to Monster.com and downloading...

TekDemon

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2001
heh their client list is actually pretty impressive for enterprise use...Ford Motor Co. is listed =)

ellory

Jun 4, 2003
Another choice which installs itself as a print dirver - and it seems to be compatable with more applications (MS Office, Peachtree, Quicken, etc) - is PDFMailer.

Its very easy to use and install - important if you're supporting other people.

Also, check out hte "printer" propery options to save files, if you want, instead of just email.

The free promotion version ( http://www.pdfmailer.com/cgi-bin/pdfmailer/main.cgi?lan=us&file=startframeset) puts a small banner across the top.

Additionally good piece of free software - if you ever need to put multiple PDF's together (say, generated from multiple applications into a single file, check out FreeDist. ( http://home.hccnet.nl/s.vd.palen/index.html )

Documentation is not great...and set-up requires a little work... and it takes a little playing to understand it, but once installed, it does a great job. (Make sure you read the install instructions - you'll need (free) ghostscript and, depending on your verison on OS, some other free software)

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
I am a rude person.
I have been using pdf995 since my resume thread and I didnt post it in hot deals...
Anyhow, this IS working great, and you can buy the entire "suite" for only like $19.00. This will get rid of the advertisment windows...
Adobe should be pissed right now....
Neat :beer:

odie77

May 30, 2003
Originally posted by: altonb1
Originally posted by: ScrapSilicon
Welcome to AnandTech forums ! :)
This if my first post so hopefully I followed all the rules (?)
heh...altonb1 is getting better ...:)

Now wait a minute....as I followed up on the other thread, the guy had only posted a few times, but had been a member for over 3 years (registered in 2000) and therefore, in THAT case, he was NOT new to AT. He just wasn't an active participant. Oh well...whatever.... :D

Actually, yes I have posted before. I meant to say it's my first time posting a deal.

Glad that you guys liked it... yay!

Cabrams

Jun 4, 2003
This looks like a very good deal for $19.00. Been looking for a PDF editor for the office. This will do nicely I think.