Majority Opposes Same-Sex Marriage

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
So it's just a numbers game? Might makes right? Tyranny of the majority? What about state's rights? What about equal protection? :p
I'm just glad the homophobes in this country won't get a vote on the topic.
See what I mean?
It just doesn't matter what the majority thinks...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
So it's just a numbers game? Might makes right? Tyranny of the majority? What about state's rights? What about equal protection? :p
I'm just glad the homophobes in this country won't get a vote on the topic.
See what I mean?
It just doesn't matter what the majority thinks...

Weren't some people blabbering about direct democracy and the will of the people about other topics?
States do have the right to write their own laws.
Equal protection does not apply - "gays" already have equal protections - they want special ones because they don't meet the requirements established to become "married".

Talking down the country again DM?;) Cheering for judicial activism that may not represent the will of the people?

But yes it does matter what the majority thinks...I thought you were a "people's voice" chanter, and one who believes in Democracy...you know...the will of the people.;)

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Weren't some people blabbering about direct democracy and the will of the people about other topics?
States do have the right to write their own laws.
Equal protection does not apply - "gays" already have equal protections - they want special ones because they don't meet the requirements established to become "married".

It's simple reality Cad, the majority just won't have a say. Oh, they'll influence politicians with their anti-gay stances, but in the end I predict the judicial branch will decide this. Right? Wrong? Not really my point...

Talking down the country again DM?;) Cheering for judicial activism that may not represent the will of the people?

Seriously Cad, did I call anyone stupid? No, I didn't. So stop with your baseless accusations.
rolleye.gif

But yes it does matter what the majority thinks...I thought you were a "people's voice" chanter, and one who believes in Democracy...you know...the will of the people.;)

More and more I'm thinking our founders had the right idea: Policy and law decided by the majority against the minority makes for a tyranny of the majority. Who will protect the little guy, Cad? I think you're just putting words in my mouth again...

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
well if marriage doesn't mean one man and one woman..

then it should be just as reasonable to have multiple wives....or multiple husbands......

n'est pa?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon

then it should be just as reasonable to have multiple wives....or multiple husbands......

n'est pa?

Why not?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon

n'est pa?

The reason that doesn't work too good is cause guys like me would wind up with all the women and guys like you would go around with murder in your heart. There would be compelling state interests in that. It would, of course, however, greatly accelerate human evolution.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Fencer128
Good job you don't let the mob decide the rules then.

Andy

So this isn't a Democracy at all? This is place where courts can decide and enact law? Hmm...I thought I kept hearing about the "will of the people" and chants of "for the people by the people" Guess that doesn't apply when it suits your interests.;)

CkG

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Andy

So this isn't a Democracy at all? This is place where courts can decide and enact law? Hmm...I thought I kept hearing about the "will of the people" and chants of "for the people by the people" Guess that doesn't apply when it suits your interests.;)

CkG
It's a Republic and the Majority doesn't rule. Didn't the 2000 Presidential Election teach you that?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Andy

CkG
It's a Republic and the Majority doesn't rule. Didn't the 2000 Presidential Election teach you that?

OK, so is this a Representative Republic at all? This is a place where courts can decide and enact law? Hmm...I thought Red just said that we have a Republic which elects Representatives who reflect the will of the people. But I guess that still doesn't apply when it suits your interests.;)

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
OK, so is this a Representative Republic at all? This is a place where courts can decide and enact law? Hmm...I thought Red just said that we have a Republic which elects Representatives who reflect the will of the people. But I guess that still doesn't apply when it suits your interests.;)

CkG
Yes Cad, we're quite aware of the fact that you feel it's OK to ignore the laws of our country when it suits you (e.g. Ten Commandments cases). The primary duty of our judicial system is to enforce the laws of the land. Your interpretation of these laws is quite inconsequential.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

CkG
Yes Cad, we're quite aware of the fact that you feel it's OK to ignore the laws of our country when it suits you (e.g. Ten Commandments cases). The primary duty of our judicial system is to enforce the laws of the land. Your interpretation of these laws is quite inconsequential.

I'm not ignoring any laws. I was commenting on the "mob rule" comment.

You don't seem to understand that freedom of doesn't equal freedom from - but there are many other threads in which this was discussed, but your diversion is noted.

So again, why should the will of the people be trumped by judges who make or force passage of law? Meh - I guess if it suits one's agenda - it's ok.

CkG

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
I don't want to say I'm old, but I remember when the majority opposed the abolition of slavery. Perhaps you read that last line too fast. What I want to say is, "I remember when the majority was in favor of some people being able to own other people.

The point is, that what the majority of the people think is not worth . . . uh, squat. The Framers of the Constitution (boy, do I love that term, which is an accurate description) went to great lengths to make sure the majority could not abuse the minority. That's the big problem with democracy and the one the Constitution tried to deal with. What to do when the [stupid] masses want to rip and tear.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
You don't seem to understand that freedom of doesn't equal freedom from - but there are many other threads in which this was discussed, but your diversion is noted.
CkG

I only wish I had freedom from this discussion. EDIT: Ahhh, the old "freedom of, not freedom from" argument. Hmmm, why doesn't the USSC buy that argument? Hmmmm, makes you wonder...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Andy

CkG

CkG
Just like the 2000 Presidential Elections.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
pfffffffffffff

same sex-marriage has been in effect for some time now where I live
why oppose something when it doesn't affect you???

"the land of the free" is becoming more and more "the land of the free when it fits my narrow-minded-right-wing-religious-pseudo-morals"

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

I don't belief in a god or anything. I'm not a religious person

wtf do I care about Adam and Eve.

If you are religious person that is your right but what right do you have to oppose a same-sex marriage

you totally fit my new description of the "land of the free"

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
I have the right to oppose anything I want to oppose; it's called 'free will'
As long as your "rights" and personal prejudices don't infringe on the rights of others!